• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Was Chris Cornell's death the greatest robbery of talent in music ever?

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tuning my skis for one last 21/22 Spring run and listening to Cornell Amazon Songbook (which I listen to regularly).

I'm personally convinced he was murdered by his Rx at the time, but that's another debate.

His unnecessary death is the biggest punch in the face I ever experienced when it came to my love of music. I think his death is the greatest robbery of talent ever in modern music history (Buddy Holly/Big Bopper before my time).

Pitched lobbed.

Who else was robbed? why? Am I wrong?

Feel free to opine or let me sit in the corner by myself; I'm okay with that; that just confirms I'm right.

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would pick these...
  • John Lennon
  • Jimi Hendrix
  • Janis Joplin
  • Jim Morrison
  • Adam Yauch
Disagree. Although I agree Yauch being a close tie in terms of age, but he died of cancer, not "pushed to suicide", which is the point of my robbery analogy.

Let's add to this discussion: present value of talent loss combined with the unnecessary-ness of it.

Joplin, Hendrix, Lennon may have all peaked. Yauch was retired. Morrison is debatable and I can be persuaded, although not yet.

Cornell was about to launch even more and he was dad to young-ish kids. Robbed.

Expand.

PS - to expand the horizons, I would not disagree with 2-Pac and Big Poppa being robbed as well. But they may have done that to themselves. (not sure on that one)

PSS - my point of pushed to of course clinically debatable, but I'm convinced the side effects of the drugs prescribed to him pushed him to suicide.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Tuning my skis for one last 21/22 Spring run and listening to Cornell Amazon Songbook (which I listen to regularly).

I'm personally convinced he was murdered by his Rx at the time, but that's another debate.

His unnecessary death is the biggest punch in the face I ever experienced when it came to my love of music. I think his death is the greatest robbery of talent ever in modern music history (Buddy Holly/Big Bopper before my time).

Pitched lobbed.

Who else was robbed? why? Am I wrong?

Feel free to opine or let me sit in the corner by myself; I'm okay with that; that just confirms I'm right.
Chris Cornell was amazing, wish I could have seen him with Temple of the Dog. You could say he peaked with either Sound Garden or Audio Slave under your revised analysis. I got to say Eddie Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix were multi-generational talents and innovators, with Jimi far from peaking. I’d put Stevie Ray Vaughn and Randy Rhodes on the list right below that and the music world was robbed of what they may have done but for their untimely deaths.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Nah - it's the destiny of rockers and musicians to leave us too soon. Some would say Bowie and Prince went leaving us without their future genius.

TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nah - it's the destiny of rockers and musicians to leave us too soon.
Deep.

I dislike the thought of this, but you have me really thinking this is what makes it painful and thus more impactful to "feel robbed"

Perhaps a counter question is "would we feel the same way about the musician/music had they kept going and eventually faded on their own before passing away?"

The fact they passed makes their peaking early and their music more rare, and the questions remain "what more could they have done?" and thus more painful?
Chris Cornell was amazing, wish I could have seen him with Temple of the Dog. You could say he peaked with either Sound Garden or Audio Slave under your revised analysis. .

Some would say Bowie and Prince went leaving us without their future genius.

Of course hopefully it goes without saying my thread question is incredibly subjective to the listener.

I'm not a fan of Prince, did like Bowie, but I think Cornell wins on talent. Check out the Soundbook if you haven't already. It brings so much of Temple, Sound Garden, and Audio Slave together.

Jim Croce
Stevie Ray Vaughn

Selling the three "J's" pretty short if you think they peaked after just a few years....

Freddie Mercury.
I got to say Eddie Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix were multi-generational talents and innovators, with Jimi far from peaking. I’d put Stevie Ray Vaughn and Randy Rhodes on the list right below that and the music world was robbed of what they may have done but for their untimely deaths.

Good counterpoints. And good additions. Of those, I'm most disappointed in myself for not considering Mercury at all until now.

I'm probably not making friends here am I. :)

There are too many to name.

Agree. In the short amount of time we've discussed, I'll continue with my subjective emotional appeal that Cornell is the biggest robbery, but I am persuaded this can easily be broken down by year of fame and/or genre.

1950's - Valens, Bopper, Holly - a huge, early and unnecessary loss of talent. As a kid, my dad regularly talked about this. Up until right now, it never hit me that those guys to my dad, were Chris Cornell to me.

1960's/70's - pretty much everyone you all mentioned above; however if I have to anchor on it I'd go Mercury then Morrison because subjectively didn't appreciate Hendrix.

1980's - Prince I suppose, but I'm personally favoring Van Halen however I don't think Van Halen was really going to produce much more.

1990's Rock - Cornell (possibly some could say Cobain, but I would be suprised. not a fan of his don't think he's as talented by a long shot)
1990's Hip Hop - 2Pac/Poppa. That would be a tough debate on the greater talent loss.

2000 - at this point of the discussion, MCA, but he was retired.

I'm not current on 2010+

Last edited:
TS
noobski

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Then expain Keith Richards. ;)
Perhaps I should set up more rules for this debate? :)

Had to look him up so I’m going with no. Also, he died in his 50s according to Wikipedia, so there should be plenty of his talent out there.
Ouch, atomic level burn...I felt that hundreds of miles away.

Offer some counterpoints/other talent . .

skifishbum

Getting off the lift
Skier
i was big into the grunge and metal scene livin back in chi town
all the og lallapolosasa shows the aragon brawl room ,2xdoor ,park west, alpine valley,rosemont etc with janes addiction, pantera
helmet, faith no more, rhcp ,pumkins, soundgarden ministry nirvana etc
the guy CC had talent but not on a American Treasure level or scale
SavedImage_1115191406k_zpsxovoobq1.jpg

possesed more musical talent than all of em
and john prines not far behind
imo
and ill leave this here for mr richards
117334917_10158389881606648_8007774163292041601_o.jpg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Richards shows what happens when rockers do get old. Probably hasn't done anything meaningful creatively since the 80s and barely plays his own parts on stage.

In keeping with my view that Queen were largely cheese by the end of the 80s, I think Mercury was more the loss of a showman rather than a continuing creative force at that stage.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lots of good names. Two of my biggest, already mentioned:

John Prine
Stevie Ray Vaughn

To which I'll add two:

Rory Gallagher
John Bonham

And to those who don't think of drummers as musically talented, I'll say you haven't studied the composition of Bonham's drumming, and his interaction with Page's playing.

Obviously everybody's list will be impacted by personal music tastes.

skifishbum

Getting off the lift
Skier
subjective musical talent aside theres a damn good reason why soundgarden opened for neil
and never headlined lallapaloosa festivals
20220320_073427.jpg

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Eddie Cochran....died in 1960 at age 21. Big influence on 50's rock, which carried well into the 60's and 70's (his songs are probably better know by the covers other people did)

Sponsor

Staff online