• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Warm, dry boots by Peet

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When I was only skiing every few days or once per week, dry boots were not an issue. Leaving them out would dry them over a few days. Earlier this year I had a run of 28 days in a row and drying the boots overnight became imperative. I would lay them down next to the heater vent but, if it was a warmer night, the heater didn't always come on. I remembered that I used to have a boot dryer to dry my hunting waders and leather boots. It would dry a soaked pair of leather hikers overnight. It was made by Peet and worked very well for several years until the plastic finally broke. Mind you, I bought it at a garage sale so I have no idea how much use it got before me.

Que Cabela's. I was wandering around in the Reno Cabela's one afternoon and they had Cabela's branded Peet boot driers. I believe I paid <$25 for it, on sale. So far it works like a charm. There are no fans, just warm (not hot) air that rises up the tubes and into the boot. It uses household 120v only, no 12v adapter for the car. The unit itself is made of a fairly sturdy plastic and the base is a two piece, snap together affair and the tubes are attach to the base. At the top are the pieces that allow the air to flow through the boot; you don't want to put the boot directly on top of the tubes. Cabela's/Peet also offers glove holders to go in place of the boot holders and extensions for waders.

The boots dry nicely overnight and are warm in the morning. Keeping the boots dry also reduces the stink factor! If I was on a ski trip and had the opportunity to go door to hill from a condo I'd definitely bring this along so I could have warm boots in the morning.

If you're looking for something to dry your gear, I'd have no problem suggesting this unit. Do note that my boots are 27.5 and have been punched a little wider. The boots do touch but it's not an issue. Peet also makes family size units that can dry multiple footwear/gloves at a time. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Boot-and-Wader-Dryer-by-Peet/748996.uts?slotId=1

EDIT: If your boots are too big or you suspect water between the liner and shell you can always remove the liner.

20180111_090836_1515690533522.jpg

In the box

20180111_084523.jpg

Assembled

20180111_090612_1515690533764.jpg

In action!

Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have two of the original white PVC units - still going strong at 20 yo!

In the off season they dry my running shoes - fantastic for that.
It definitely has year round applications.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
And no...they do not affect Intuition liners and no they do not affect thermomouldable shells because the heat simply isn't sufficient for that. There's more heat coming off my router than off the element in these.

It definitely has year round applications.

Yup.

So long as one is willing to put the risers in ski boots for travel, these units pack down really nicely, i.e. smaller than my tool box.

I think the black units have slightly softer plastic than the original white - be careful when taking the base apart after a heating cycle. Herself's black unit has two mends in that spot.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No liners out? Must be in dry climate.
Yep, fairly dry. I've pulled the liners out in the morning and haven't had any moisture as yet. Most of the damp in my boots comes from the inside.:(

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
And no...they do not affect Intuition liners and no they do not affect thermomouldable shells because the heat simply isn't sufficient for that. There's more heat coming off my router than off the element in these.
I shot the inside boot temp with an IR thermometer immediately after removing the boot from the drier after an afternoon and overnight dry. It registered at 98° so no issue with liners or shells.

Sponsor

Staff online