• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vredestein Wintrac Pro snow tires - anyone used them?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As per the title, does anyone have any experience of the Vredestein Wintrac Pro snow tires? I need to get a set of snows for my wife's BMW X5M (square set up, 275/45-20) and I have been unable to get my preferred Yokohamas. The Vredestein look interesting being a performance winter/snow with a bit more snow oriented "meaty" tread than the comparable Michelins. And no, not going with Blizzaks, I have used a few different versions of them in the past and not a big fan.

(Also on the verrrry off-chance that anyone in the Tahoe or Bay Area is running a Porsche Macaw I have a very good set of 18inch wheels with Yoko snow tires and TPMS for a great deal. These are a straight bolt on ready to go. And the 18 inch fits all Macans, including the Turbo....

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They are highly rated by CR:

This highly rated Vredestein performance winter/snow tire combines strong winter performance, handling, and dry braking. Wet braking is only so-so, but that's typical for a winter/snow tire.

Also, check the Tyre Reviews youtube channel or website. I believe he compared them to the likely suspects and gave them positive reviews, but do confirm.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Im running the vredestein quatrac pro and those are already sufficient for tahoe highway weather so far last year, when new where it rarely even gets close to 0F. So the wintrac should have even better cold performance and well above my risk level.

I just recommended them to a friend looking for tires so did some research and don't feel bad about the rec. Especially as a lower priced option, just replace once you wear through the best tread.
The german autobild reviews had tested itand ranked it 1st, 6th, then 12th respectively in the last 3 years in their winter tire test. if the decline raises some eyebrows, my interpretation on this decline isn't the that tire got worse, rather they started including more extreme winter tires in the test. Those higher ranked extreme options might not even be available to your car in the US or as a fitment anyway, so the wintrac is still a top ranked available option within this category.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just mounted a set for Andrew this week. Had good experience with Vredestein last set of all season tire. The ride and handling are very good.

We are giving up on Blizzaks also. Been having durability issues with them. The boy burn through a new set of Blizzarks in 8K miles last year. All cold weather winter driving. :nono: two seasons back, came back from a 15K road trip with the new Blizzaks down to the wear bars.

The wintrac pro should be more durable. It is a V rated tire rather than T rating for the Blizzaks. Should run cooler and last longer. .

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I had Vredestein snows on my 2012 WRX when it was new. They performed & wore really well. They were the first real :snow: Snow tires l had since the early 80’s so not much to compare them to.

l just put a set of Quatrac Pro on my current Golf R. So far they are quieter than my previous Pirrelli Pzero 9’s & almost as grippy on dry pavement. The Pirellis were fine in the snow the first winter but not so great the second & they wore fast. Hoping for better life with the Vredestein’s.

7A5BA3AC-1490-4485-B931-C12C4495AC02.jpeg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
My wife is running a set of General Arctic Altimax on her Subaru that from what I understand are a rebranded Vredestein tire. They have performed well in snowy/slushy conditions and have worn well enough that they will likely be replaced due to age rather than wear.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife is running a set of General Arctic Altimax on her Subaru that from what I understand are a rebranded Vredestein tire. They have performed well in snowy/slushy conditions and have worn well enough that they will likely be replaced due to age rather than wear.
Nope. They are rebranded Gislaved tires. Continental owns both the General brand and Gislaved brand.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just mounted a set for Andrew this week. Had good experience with Vredestein last set of all season tire. The ride and handling are very good.

We are giving up on Blizzaks also. Been having durability issues with them. The boy burn through a new set of Blizzarks in 8K miles last year. All cold weather winter driving. :nono: two seasons back, came back from a 15K road trip with the new Blizzaks down to the wear bars.

The wintrac pro should be more durable. It is a V rated tire rather than T rating for the Blizzaks. Should run cooler and last longer. .
Speed rating is not an indicator for durability in terms of treadwear.

What gives the Blizzak WS-series its great snow and ice performance is the top half Multicell compound, great for white stuff traction, not good for wear on dry roads.

Winter tires aren't great in the wear department in the first place, so that's why there is no UTQG wear rating on them. Michelin does give you a treadwear warranty on their winter tires, as long as you show them that they are driving only during winter only, iirc, the Xice Xi3 warranty is something like 40,000 miles.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Speed rating is not an indicator for durability in terms of treadwear.

What gives the Blizzak WS-series its great snow and ice performance is the top half Multicell compound, great for white stuff traction, not good for wear on dry roads.

Winter tires aren't great in the wear department in the first place, so that's why there is no UTQG wear rating on them. Michelin does give you a treadwear warranty on their winter tires, as long as you show them that they are driving only during winter only, iirc, the Xice Xi3 warranty is something like 40,000 miles.

Had couple sets of Michelin Xice. The durability is much better than the Blizzaks. Not impressed by the snow and ice traction. Totally seat of the pant feel. Gone through 4 sets of Blizzaks in the last few years. They are impeccable in snow. Really planted. Can't deal with their durability issues.

Specs are exactly what they are.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Following, because it's time to shop for snows for the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Nope. They are rebranded Gislaved tires. Continental owns both the General brand and Gislaved brand.
Thanks for the correction. I knew they were the same tread as the tires on one of my brother's Imprezas that had a Scandinavian name.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had Vredestein Quadtrac Pro on my 2015 A6 and they were incredible. when I bought the 2019 A6 I begged them to let me keep the tires instead of what came on the car. about ready to order some more.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I used to run Vreds but then I switched to Hakkapelittas.

There are other great ones but nobody doubts that the Hakkes are top notch.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have Hakka R3 SUV's on my ML63 AMG ( w/Perf. Pkg.)

Tires are fantastic. Nothing short of amazing and reasonably smooth and quiet,, particularly for 295/35/21's. Drove in a bad snow storm last winter from Seattle to Yakima. We counted over 12 vehicles in the ditch there and back. 2 cars did 360's close in front of us on the freeway and went off the road! I averaged 60 MPH there and back! 137 Miles round trip!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have Hakka R3 SUV's on my ML63 AMG ( w/Perf. Pkg.)

Tires are fantastic. Nothing short of amazing and reasonably smooth and quiet,, particularly for 295/35/21's. Drove in a bad snow storm last winter from Seattle to Yakima. We counted over 12 vehicles in the ditch there and back. 2 cars did 360's close in front of us on the freeway and went off the road! I averaged 60 MPH there and back! 137 Miles round trip!
It has better grip than a poor summertire, during summer! :D Also works very good for heavy veichles, I had it on my G63, GLS, landcruiser, cayenne etc. but also on smaller cars. I would easy hit 120mph+ with my tesla model 3 performance on our ice racing track on straights.

The only negative ting about the R3 is grip on wet pavement, and dry pavement, vs say the viking contact, but its amazing when roads turn ice, and on snow.. its like summer ;)

Where I live (high up) we will not see the asfalt for at least 3 months, they dont salt during winter high up, and keeping a healthy snow sole actually has very good grip. so last mile or so everything turns winter. funfact, I drive *down* to get to my local ski resort ;)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are really only 2 non studded snow tires worth considering

continental viking contact 7
nokian hakkapelitta r3

Good to hear. I'm coming off the Hokey Pokeys and onto a new set of the Vikings.

Fun Fact: Although I've moved to near the base of "real" mountains, the driving in the valley itself is much flatter than the VERY hilly town I live in previously.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
It has better grip than a poor summertire, during summer! :D Also works very good for heavy veichles, I had it on my G63, GLS, landcruiser, cayenne etc. but also on smaller cars. I would easy hit 120mph+ with my tesla model 3 performance on our ice racing track on straights.

The only negative ting about the R3 is grip on wet pavement, and dry pavement, vs say the viking contact, but its amazing when roads turn ice, and on snow.. its like summer ;)

Where I live (high up) we will not see the asfalt for at least 3 months, they dont salt during winter high up, and keeping a healthy snow sole actually has very good grip. so last mile or so everything turns winter. funfact, I drive *down* to get to my local ski resort ;)
Since I live in the Seattle area, we get plenty of rain = wet roads and I have not noticed any issues. But I am in a all wheel drive 557 HP (561 lbs. Ft. of Torque) beast.......with tons of grip and technology!

James

Out There
Instructor
The boy burn through a new set of Blizzarks in 8K miles last year. All cold weather winter driving. :nono: two seasons back, came back from a 15K road trip with the new Blizzaks down to the wear bars.
Hah. He did blow by me on Rte 100 from Sugarbush, so he does put them to use.
There are really only 2 non studded snow tires worth considering

continental viking contact 7
nokian hakkapelitta r3
Interesting.
Do you find studs in very cold temps, say -15c and below, are counterproductive?

I ended up last season with the Viking Contact 7, mainly because at the time they were much cheaper. I also read a Norwegian? comparison of snow tires that had it top rated, even over the R3.

They are much quieter on pavement than the all weather Nokian WR G3 I had. Those are back on for summer to kill them off, currently with 45k miles.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hah. He did blow by me on Rte 100 from Sugarbush, so he does put them to use.

Interesting.
Do you find studs in very cold temps, say -15c and below, are counterproductive?

I ended up last season with the Viking Contact 7, mainly because at the time they were much cheaper. I also read a Norwegian? comparison of snow tires that had it top rated, even over the R3.

They are much quieter on pavement than the all weather Nokian WR G3 I had. Those are back on for summer to kill them off, currently with 45k miles.
These are in consideration now. We have TWO vehicles that need snows this year, one will need wheels, too.

Sponsor

Staff online