• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Visiting Alaska end of July

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's one of those places that truly feels out of this world...and photos do not do it justice.
Photos do not do Alaska justice. We will not have a shortage of things to do while we are there, our weird family will have a full itinerary for us. ;)

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
check the sunrise/sunset times for when you are there. You may want to take eye shades to sleep in.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks all.
The plan is to relax, visit family, fish, and hike.

End of July in Wasilla.. the only bugs left will be the human kind.

If you didn't have family to visit, I would say you should completely skip Wasilla. It's a terrible excuse of a town and full of some really weird people. No one visits Wasilla unless they live there.
Wow! :nono:
Earlier in this thread I said...
Wasilla.
Flying into Anchorage and spending a week with family.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Just have a great time! Hatcher Pass and Independence Mine are far enough.
The Mine used to be a fun little ski area, saw WC racers there back in the day. (Had a great bar and worlds best sauna too).

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just have a great time! Hatcher Pass and Independence Mine are far enough.
The Mine used to be a fun little ski area, saw WC racers there back in the day. (Had a great bar and worlds best sauna too).
Thanks.
The idea on this trip is to chill and enjoy ourselves. With the health issues we had this past year we were reminded that we travel a lot and love what we do but we really don't take time to relax. We're always "on".
Not complaining about our life at all, but life has a way of reminding us to refuel and revisit family that we don't get to see. Heck, until now, I had no idea that the family was really weird. ;)

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry I was not intending to be mean about Wasilla, the town really is the butt of a lot of Alaskan jokes. For the bulk of us it's a place of eternal road construction, double traffic fines, and pretty ugly store fronts along the highway as we try to get somewhere other than there. They have a DQ and Target, so that counts for something.

Hatcher Pass has a new ski area! Skeetawk, they just finished up their very first open season and was really well received by everyone down there.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ouch.

It will be our base hub and going out from there. We wil hit Hatcher, Talkeetna, Seward and maybe a trip up to Danali.
Talkeetna has a place that sells amazing spinach bread. That alone is worth the trip there. It's aptly named Talkeetna Spinach Bread.

If you have time to do it, Exit Glacier outside of Seward is also worth a stop by. Even if you don't have time to hike up, the 7-mile road from the highway to the visitors center is beautiful.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just found this thread Also visited Wasilla for relatives several years go, it's not bad. Also went from Seward to Deadhorse.
Did anyone here go up to Wiseman for the 4th of July fest ?

Sponsor

Staff online