• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today was the first ski day of our week long trip. Spoke to a lot of people yesterday and they all said the skiing was great, and it was very good today considering the lack of snow they have received thus far this year.

Vail is a huge place and I doubt they can cover it with manmade snow the way Deer Valley can. That being said, there were a lot of brownish spots on the popular runs. Certainly I kept my eye looking well forward and just avoided the brownish areas. I occasionally saw what looked like a stone. @Mrs. 53 had to do the skiing splits at one point as she was most likely going too fast and saw an exposed rock she let pass between her skis. I need to put a speed limit on her. This 50 mph stuff is a bit much

The runs got piles of soft snow as the day progressed towards lunchtime.

Overall on a busy Sunday, I would give it a 6 out of 10.

Supposed to get between 5”-14” depending on which forecast you are looking at from tomorrow (Monday) through to end of the day Tuesday. Fresh snow will be a welcome addition.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Supposed to get between 5”-14” depending on which forecast you are looking at from tomorrow (Monday) through to end of the day Tuesday. Fresh snow will be a welcome addition.

5" there can make "zero" to "hero", it did last December (sorry, 2016 - we skipped 2017) when I went from dodging pine tree tops to them vanishing. - hoping for the upper end of that estimate.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Don't worry about the shrubbery. It's hiding the best snow.
I found excellent stashes all over the hill this past weekend, and the little evergreens did wonders for visibility in the flat light.
Just watch out for the big ones!

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Morning Update:

It is snowing hard and the wind is howling up on the mountain (we have been watching on mountain TV reports showing the blowing snow). I can not even see the mountain beyond the bottom 1/4 due to the snow from Lionshead.

Looks like we are gonna have an après day rather than ski as the visibility is going to be very poor. @Mrs. 53 can’t really ski in poor visibility due to the more dangerous conditions as she has 6 screws and a plate in her neck and is not supposed to fall.

So, for those hoping for snow, it is here and dumping.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
If you are in Lionshead, you have to have an El Diablo burger at El Sabor.
Best burger ever!
Seriously.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
#weaksauceogwink

Who flies across the country, pays for lift tickets/lodging in Vail then skips the slopes because it’s SNOWING?

How bad can the viz be if you can see a quarter of the mountain? Live a little man!

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I occasionally saw what looked like a stone.

Story time, while you're huddled around the fire on this non-ski day ~~

I was an advanced beginner. This was my first ski trip out west. It was early season (much like now). Day 1 -- Beaver Creek, coverage was ok. Day 2 -- the iconic VAIL, coverage was much better than BC.

I was skiing down this trail, then stopped. Friend skied up to me and stopped.

Friend: What's wrong?

I said nothing, but pointed to the ground.

Friend: That's a rock. Just ski around it.

Me: But you said they groomed this.

Friend: They don't pick up every rock.

Me: But this is VAIL.

Expectations ... the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
#weaksauceogwink

Who flies across the country, pays for lift tickets/lodging in Vail then skips the slopes because it’s SNOWING?

How bad can the viz be if you can see a quarter of the mountain? Live a little man!

It's called girlfriend skiing (link)

If you’ve signed up for a full week of GF skiing because you’re recently in love, it may even involve not skiing and taking a day off mid-holiday to rest, especially if something unpleasant is happening outside that day, like it’s snowing for instance.

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier

While I don't ski with my girlfriend or wife (I have a wife, not a girlfriend but my wife doesn't ski), I do ski with my daughter. As I read the link, I mentally replaced "GF" with "daughter" and it fit perfectly....especially the faffing about part in the morning when it's been snowing all night....

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How bad can the viz be if you can see a quarter of the mountain?

Reports were the visibility was only 45’ today near the top of the mountain. We were told by multiple people they had to follow tree lines to know where they were going.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Reports were the visibility was only 45’ today near the top of the mountain. We were told by multiple people they had to follow tree lines to know where they were going.

Tomorrow is gonna be awesome. Make a plan of attack, get some rest and get out early. Its not gonna be a sleeper pow day but close. At least for the first hour or two.

Sponsor

Staff online