• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah pass changes for 2019/2020

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just wanted to try and collect all relevant data for 2019/2020 so I can make an informed decision on what to buy for next season, I'll try to edit this top level post as much as possible. If this the wrong place, or if there is better info elsewhere, please feel free to delete this post (speaking to any moderators who may be listening).

1. Wasatch Benefit is now only ONE day at FOUR (total) resorts (Deer Valley, Brighton, Solitude, Snowbird, Alta).. For those who buy dedicated seasons passes to one of those resorts, you get one day at the others.
2. Snowbasin is now part of the Epic pass, you get TWO days with the Epic pass, and NONE if you get the Local pass.
3. IKON is the same, but you get a small discount if you renew your previous years subscription.
4. I heard Mountain Collective got more expensive. I don't know much about the pass because it seems to be more focused on fewer days at lots of resorts, so a more travel focused pass.

Are there any other major structural changes to passes that I am missing for the upcoming season? Anyone know when Alta is going to announce pricing for their 2020 pass?

For us, we believe the best value for a family of four is to buy the Family pass at Alta for $2,000. The only other option that makes sense to us is the "veteran" discount for the epic pass. That would cost our family of four about $1600, though PCMR is so crazily busy that it may not be worth it (that option does not include snowbasin).

Last edited:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Brighton was on IKON this year. It is not a new addition to IKON.

From what I can see so far, Snowbird is not offering a $799 chairs only pass this year which is a change.

EDIT: the 2 days at Snowbasin are also available to Epic Local passholders as well, but blackouts apply .

I still struggle that IKON gets 5-7 days at AltaBird, but the Wasatch benefit is actually getting reduced for AltaBird pass holders. No thanks, I love AltaBird, but I am buying the IKON which I view as a better deal.

Last edited:
TS
Ryan Dietrich

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
From what I can see so far, Snowbird is not offering a $799 chairs only pass this year which is a change.

That is interesting about Snowbird. Personally, I hate taking the tram, but I have always disliked the front-side of snowbird, as, well, I suck, and everyone is going 1000x faster than me and I hate being the worst skier on the mountain. Mineral basin is wonderful, when it is open.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier

Sort of. If enough of us buy IKON passes instead of full AltaBird (or DV), then they may be not to give the free days anymore to those resorts.

Speaking of, if you want to really show your anger at Alterra, buy an epic pass.

You'd have to slum it with snowboarders at PCMR, but that's the way to really show Alterra what you think of their changes to DV.

But yeah, I definitely have mixed emotions about IKON. I mentioned it on another thread. I don't like where it's all heading, but too good of a deal to pass up.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would take the other approach and figure out what you want to ski; then optimizing your purchases to fulfill that plan; instead of trying to figuring out the pricing changes top down. If you hate a mountain, don't go ski there just because you had free access.

Overall the fallacy is just that the numbers are right in your face on the screen right now, so you maybe overly focused on that. Any season pass is relatively inexpensive and within the same order of magnitude as any other. We're not talking about joining YellowstoneClub here

You can count out on your fingers how many seasons you have left in your LIFE, and how many seasons you can ski with your family at the specific age they are in. (Hint: it is not that many). Don't overlook maximizing each season just to save money.

just my 2c

As far as Ikon or epic; my understanding is all the Ikon partners at least signed for 3 years, and I'd assume there is same deals on epic; so there is some level of sameness, and not big fluctuations every single season.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sort of. If enough of us buy IKON passes instead of full AltaBird (or DV), then they may be not to give the free days anymore to those resorts.

Speaking of, if you want to really show your anger at Alterra, buy an epic pass.

You'd have to slum it with snowboarders at PCMR, but that's the way to really show Alterra what you think of their changes to DV.

But yeah, I definitely have mixed emotions about IKON. I mentioned it on another thread. I don't like where it's all heading, but too good of a deal to pass up.

So, I can stick it to Alterra and drive in traffic an extra 25 minutes and struggle with parking so I can ski alongside snowboarders...

Or

Suck it up and stay at DV with a 17 minute drive to valet parking

Hmmmm

DV it is :roflmao:

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
4. I heard Mountain Collective got more expensive. I don't know much about the pass because it seems to be more focused on fewer days at lots of resorts, so a more travel focused pass...
….For us, we believe the best value for a family of four is to buy the Family pass at Alta for $2,000. The only other option that makes sense to us is the "veteran" discount for the epic pass. That would cost our family of four about $1600, though PCMR is so crazily busy that it may not be worth it (that option does not include snowbasin).
Are you looking at doing one of these and a Sundance pass? If it's either/or, don't discount the value of convenience.

Mountain Collective could potentially make sense for families in situations like yours, if the kids are 12 or under. With current pricing promos, it's $449 per adult and $99 per kid (12 & under), which gets you 3 days at Alta and 2 at Snowbird. Plus 50% off tickets after that. With this year's pricing, that means you could all do 8 days at Alta and 2 days at Snowbird for less than $2k. And the pay-as-you-go aspect of those 50% off tickets (as opposed, say, to $2k up front) can be nice.

Does the Alta family pass come with the Wasatch Benefit?

I would take the other approach and figure out what you want to ski; then optimizing your purchases to fulfill that plan; instead of trying to figuring out the pricing changes top down. If you hate a mountain, don't go ski there just because you had free access.

Overall the fallacy is just that the numbers are right in your face on the screen right now, so you maybe overly focused on that. Any season pass is relatively inexpensive and within the same order of magnitude as any other. We're not talking about joining YellowstoneClub here

You can count out on your fingers how many seasons you have left in your LIFE, and how many seasons you can ski with your family at the specific age they are in. (Hint: it is not that many). Don't overlook maximizing each season just to save money.

just my 2c.
Excellent points. On the other hand, when I lived in Utah there were a lot of ski areas I liked enough to want a season pass, so I had to look deeper to decide.

So, I can stick it to Alterra and drive in traffic an extra 25 minutes and struggle with parking so I can ski alongside snowboarders...

Or

Suck it up and stay at DV with a 17 minute drive to valet parking

Hmmmm

… Or you could drive an extra 5-10 minutes on an uncrowded scenic highway to have the drop-dead gorgeous scenery and fun, laid-back skiing at Sundance basically all to yourself (on weekdays). Have you been down there yet? There are definitely worse things...

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Ryan Dietrich I'm looking on the Epic website right now, and it looks like the full Epic Pass gives you 7 unrestricted days at Snowbasin, whereas the local Epic Pass gives you 2 restricted days. Both give you 50% off afterwards.

For those of you trying to decide which Utah pass or passes to get...just remember how fortunate you to have this as a choice to make :cool:! There are so many great mountains in Utah, you can't really go wrong with any of them. I'm trying to imagine which pass I would get if I lived in Utah. Part of me says screw it and go full Alta/Snowbird. Another part of me says do Ikon + Epic (maybe one full, one base/local) because that gets to access to almost all of the major Utah resorts.

@raytseng very wise words. It's really health to look at all of this from a big picture perspective. Be grateful. Don't take the present for granted. My best days skiing this year were the ones during my annual skiing vacation to Utah with my family. Who knows how many skiing years my parents have left? It's important to savor the moments you have, and show gratitude for them. One of the reasons that Deer Valley is so special to me is that I have so many wonderful memories of skiing there with family. No matter what happens with ownership, crowding, or what have you, Deer Valley will always have a place in my heart.

TS
Ryan Dietrich

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
@Ryan Dietrich I'm looking on the Epic website right now, and it looks like the full Epic Pass gives you 7 unrestricted days at Snowbasin, whereas the local Epic Pass gives you 2 restricted days. Both give you 50% off afterwards.

https://www.epicpass.com/info/military-faqs-19-20.aspx

I'm a veteran, so I get the epic pass (no blackouts) for a great price, $529. The drawback is no snowbasin. Not sure if I get 50% off partner resorts either, it's not clear on that FAQ either, but I doubt it.

TS
Ryan Dietrich

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
Are you looking at doing one of these and a Sundance pass? If it's either/or, don't discount the value of convenience.

Of course I'm getting a Sundance pass!! I live 10 minutes away, it would be tragic if I didn't! We just like to be able to go other places on the weekend, but most importantly, we love to ski the WHOLE season, so Alta/Snowbird narrow the field quite a bit. I plan on skiing Saturday/Sunday at Alta for the next 5 weekends, Sundance closes next weekend.

Mountain Collective could potentially make sense for families in situations like yours, if the kids are 12 or under. With current pricing promos, it's $449 per adult and $99 per kid (12 & under), which gets you 3 days at Alta and 2 at Snowbird. Plus 50% off tickets after that. With this year's pricing, that means you could all do 8 days at Alta and 2 days at Snowbird for less than $2k. And the pay-as-you-go aspect of those 50% off tickets (as opposed, say, to $2k up front) can be nice.

LOL, 3 days is not enough. I have 25 days at Alta this season already, and another 30 at Sundance.

Does the Alta family pass come with the Wasatch Benefit?

Heh, yes, and we have already gone to Deer Valley twice, Snowbird once, and Solitude once with the wasatch benefit.

… Or you could drive an extra 5-10 minutes on an uncrowded scenic highway to have the drop-dead gorgeous scenery and fun, laid-back skiing at Sundance basically all to yourself (on weekdays). Have you been down there yet? There are definitely worse things...

Sundance rules, the back mountain is freaking awesome.

TS
Ryan Dietrich

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
  • I want to ski November-May.
  • I want to ski 60-100 days a season.
  • I want to ski at Sundance through the week, and go other places on Sunday, and sometimes Saturday (kid is on the ski team, so sometimes I ski at sundance).
  • I want to ski somewhere where I can either get a family pass or a veteran discount.

That is a very, very good point about my family, and them growing up. I myself have had a couple health scares in the recent past, as I tell people on the lift, I'm just happy to be out there. If I could choose anything it would be.

1. Unlimited access to Sundance, with ski races, night skiing, and blackout dates for holidays, I will easily eat up the price of a full pass. My kids are both on the sundance ski team next season, so we're anchored there heavily.
2. 15 days to Alta (early season, a few days in the middle, and tons of spring skiing at the end when everyone else is closed)
3. 25+ days at Deer Valley (the jordanelle lift is 35 minutes from my house).

Even with my status as a veteran, the "ideal" option would cost at least $6,000+ (for my family) a season to pull this off. Wasatch Benefit was great this season giving us a bunch of days elsewhere, but next seasons benefit is less than ideal. Right now we spend around $4,000 to have season passes to Alta + Sundance (ski team is pricey but well worth it).

Sponsor

Staff online