• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Utah options, Beaver Mountain for a week?

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
We planned a trip to Utah for spring break this year. We don't have any of the mega-passes and originally wanted to hit a few different ski areas. The initial plan was to stay in Eden for the first part of the trip to ski Powder Mountain and Snowbasin then to drive north to visit a friend and Logan and to ski a couple of days at Beaver Mountain. I started looking at lift tickets and had a serious case of sticker shock at Pow Mow....$229/day. Its been 12 years since I was there last and I know its changed hands a couple of times but that's nearly 4 times what I paid last time. Snowbasin is a little better but there really isn't anything there my wife will ski since she is perpetually a beginner. I seem to recall there were some Beaver Mountain locals on here so I figured I would ask the question, is there enough skiing to be done there to keep us entertained for a week? The other option I considered was to drive over to Driggs and ski Grand Targhee but I hate to waste the Ski Utah pass I have for our son.

Sheena

Putting on skis
Skier
Beaver Mountain isn't as big as the other Utah resorts. But it's a fun area to explore. It would have lots of options for your wife if she is mostly comfortable on greens. You could also check out nearby Cherry Creek while you are there for a day. (Should also be on the ski Utah kids pass as well, I believe)
@tromano and I lived in Logan for 6 years and skied Beaver a lot. I think if you search there is an old guide written by @tromano.

We plan on heading up to Logan for a day of skiing at Beaver during our spring break.

Emmett

Booting up
Skier
A week's worth of skiing entertainment at Beaver Mountain (skithebeav.com) would be a hard sell. It's been my home mountain since 1959 and I love every inch of it, but there's not a lot of variety for a perpetual beginner. It's a blue square mountain pretty much top to bottom and left to right. If it's a powder day and you don't mind a bit of a skate/pole back to the resort, there is a wonderful area beyond the patrol gate that opens up a nice area of glades and bowls but a local's knowledge would be prudent. Certainly a couple or three days at The Beav would be nice. Additional activities could include the above mentioned Cherry Peak (https://www.skicherrypeak.us/) , 15 miles up highway 91 from Logan. While the day skiing doesn't have a whole lot to offer, night skiing there is actually quite fun. Other non-skiing options are snowmobile rental at Beaver Creek Lodge, just up the road from Beaver Mountain, cross country skiing on the groomed trails in the meadow just below the Beaver Mountain parking, with additional groomed trails up Green Canyon just north of Logan Canyon, and sleigh rides to feed the elk at Hardware Ranch, although they might be closed for spring.

Some backside photos from a few years back.

1075514_10207807684341711_9081764261962664477_o.jpg 10416965_10153351479791498_8173590345599114644_n.jpg 12829122_10207807684461714_266041465617295067_o.jpg 12814288_10153351479576498_8686301847182789593_n.jpg

Last edited:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about Pebble Creek in Idaho. Not too far from I-15 and the Utah/Idaho state line. Independent as far as I know and pictures make it look decent.
That place is steep and gnarly. So may not be a good fit if snowbasin is too much.

Beaver is a lot of fun and very appropriate for the op. But may not be enough terrain for a week.

N. Ut, and Se ID have numerous hot springs that have been commercialized and provide a very relaxing interlude from a ski trip in the Logan area.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
That place is steep and gnarly. So may not be a good fit if snowbasin is too much.

Beaver is a lot of fun and very appropriate for the op. But may not be enough terrain for a week.

N. Ut, and Se ID have numerous hot springs that have been commercialized and provide a very relaxing interlude from a ski trip in the Logan area.
Maybe for the OP but for myself I was interested before and now I'm more interested.

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife won’t ski everyday so maybe we’ll make the trip to Pebble Creek anyway. We’ll be out there in 2 weeks. Are we going to run in to any end of season closures?

Sheena

Putting on skis
Skier
Beaver mountain and cherry peak close April 7. You may also want to think about checking out Nordic Valley near Powder Mountain and Snowbasin. I would check to make sure all lifts are up and running, they have had a bit of a rough year.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A bit of a schlep but Pomerelle up near Burley, ID would fit the 2 of you well. Probably about the same size as Beaver Mountain with 2 chair, lots of greens and blues. Pretty good trees and a pretty little bowl. Could be good for a couple of days. They are an independent and very reasonably priced.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Beaver mountain and cherry peak close April 7. You may also want to think about checking out Nordic Valley near Powder Mountain and Snowbasin. I would check to make sure all lifts are up and running, they have had a bit of a rough year.
A bunch of years ago we skied Nordic Valley when it was Wolf something or other...we were skiing Powmow and Snowbasin and decided to check it out. Very low elevation, the conditions were not typical Utah snow (more like the Poconos). Plus, they had a major issue with one of their lifts and a fire that destroyed the main lodge. Are they even running at this point?

Emmett

Booting up
Skier
A bit of a schlep but Pomerelle up near Burley, ID would fit the 2 of you well. Probably about the same size as Beaver Mountain with 2 chair, lots of greens and blues. Pretty good trees and a pretty little bowl. Could be good for a couple of days. They are an independent and very reasonably priced.
I second Bad Bob's recommendation of Pomerelle. Milk Run is a perfectly pitched green square, the trees are great fun, and lots of natural drifts and banks to fly over on skier's left on the mountain. Might be more fun for the entire family than Pebble Creek.

Beaver Mountain should be in full spring skiing mode the last week in March. Plenty of snow should guarantee excellent groomers with great off-piste fun depending on temps. Regardless of choices, you should have a fun trip.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
A bunch of years ago we skied Nordic Valley when it was Wolf something or other...we were skiing Powmow and Snowbasin and decided to check it out. Very low elevation, the conditions were not typical Utah snow (more like the Poconos). Plus, they had a major issue with one of their lifts and a fire that destroyed the main lodge. Are they even running at this point?
They're running but on a shoe string. They made a really nice expansion last year and I believe may have further expansion plans. (there's a lot of mountain there) Then "crash" with the lower chairlift going down, then the lodge fire. I do, however, believe there is hope for the place. They are part of MCP (Mountain Capital Partners) who successfully run AZ Snow Bowl, Brian Head, The Purg and a couple of places in NM, so it seems they may have some financial backing. I thought I read that they got approved for some real estate development at the base as well. Seems like a lot of potential there if they can right the ship. I know if I lived in the Ogden area I might want to root for them to get it together since Pow Mow is going the route they are.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree. Beaver is pretty good and Logan is a decent area with a nice downtown. There is a great breakfast Crepes place! If you stay in Logan then Cherry Peak is really close and easy drive through beautiful winter scenery, good for a half day or so.

Last edited:

Sheena

Putting on skis
Skier
There is also a place in the Island area of Logan called Herms that has good brunch. And also Crumb Brothers. Both get pretty busy though.

For its size Logan has so much to offer.

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
We decided to stick with the original plan to stay in Eden and ski Pow Mow and Snowbasin for the first part of the trip before visiting our friend and skiing Beaver for a couple of days.

Does anyone have any recommendations for sides trips for a down day or two?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Antelope Island is worth a visit, if you never have been. Plenty of Bison to watch and one antelope.

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier

I heard this about the Pebble Creek fall line from two brothers on the lift, both Pokie natives. One had Pebble Creek on his helmet. I assumed it was golf until we started chatting. Now I am interested. Is it in the Caribous? I better use Google maps.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I heard this about the Pebble Creek fall line from two brothers on the lift, both Pokie natives. One had Pebble Creek on his helmet. I assumed it was golf until we started chatting. Now I am interested. Is it in the Caribous? I better use Google maps.
I had a similar experience at Sun Valley. We were chatting with a single on the lift from Pocatello who said something to the effect of: "you know what they say, if you can ski Pebble Creek, you can ski anywhere." In fact, I had never heard anything like that. However, I had driven by Pebble Creek numerous times and it looked good so I made a point to go there.

As it turns out, it is a really solid mountain with steep, sustained pitches and easy access. It would be a nice midway stop when transferring between SLC and Jackson/Targhee. A $69 full price lift ticket and $54 half day (am or pm) option make it a good bargain as well. I believe they close the end of March. I have no idea how it is skiing right now.

Sponsor