• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Upright skiing with skis close together

kwahoo

Booting up
Skier
Fairly new to this site. Great source of information!

When riding up the lift, I often see people skiing nearly upright, with skis tight together, almost touching, making frequent turns. These turns are not deep turns, just a little to one side, then to the other. They don't seem to be going high on their edges; they don't lean over much. It's graceful and looks effortless, but I can't quite figure out how they are doing this and whether this is even desirable. When I've tried this, I end up going way faster than they seem to.

As far as I can tell, they are not skiing the slow line fast. They don't appear to be slarving, and I can't tell if they're skidding the tails a bit.

Just curious. Not really planning to try it. The style I've developed is to carve the turns aggressively by getting well over on the edge, which results in way more lean in my legs. These people stay remarkably upright.

Thanks for any insights!

--Kevin

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Many styles of skiing, whatever works for you. The better skiers use a combination of many styles without thought, just comes naturally. A lot depends on conditions and what they are skiing at that particular time. Bump skier will ski with a narrow stance and a carver should ski with a narrow stance and open up when laying trenches.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Park and pipe skiers stand upright with skis close together.. works well for switch. moves.. Bump skiers need a tight stance to get through the ruts smoothly. A shoulder width, railroad track carving stance only works well on nicely groomed terrain.

Reactions: zag

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Fairly new to this site. Great source of information!

When riding up the lift, I often see people skiing nearly upright, with skis tight together, almost touching, making frequent turns. These turns are not deep turns, just a little to one side, then to the other. They don't seem to be going high on their edges; they don't lean over much. It's graceful and looks effortless, but I can't quite figure out how they are doing this and whether this is even desirable. When I've tried this, I end up going way faster than they seem to.

As far as I can tell, they are not skiing the slow line fast. They don't appear to be slarving, and I can't tell if they're skidding the tails a bit.

Just curious. Not really planning to try it. The style I've developed is to carve the turns aggressively by getting well over on the edge, which results in way more lean in my legs. These people stay remarkably upright.

Thanks for any insights!

--Kevin

There a couple of things going on here - the graceful and effortless tail flicking in the fall line is called 'wedeln'.

If you search on YouTube you will find umpteen dozen vintage wedeln videos - here is Reilly M. doing a modern take on it:

It's desirable if you -want- to ski like that. It's all up to your intent and desire. Having more than one style in one's toolbox can be quite fun.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
It's graceful and looks effortless, but I can't quite figure out how they are doing this and whether this is even desirable. When I've tried this, I end up going way faster than they seem to.

Constant forward pressure, all the weight on the outside ski. I desire it.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
This thread makes me want to get the Ott Gangl wedeln emoji back.
EAST COAST ROLL CALL #9 Find the time to ski those lines! [Archive] - Page  5 - Teton Gravity Research Forums

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've always assumed people who ski like that learned how to ski before shaped skis were a thing, since that was the technique back then, and it stuck with them. No idea if there's any truth to that though.
Flawed.. Look at all the park rats and mogul competitors who are under age 22. Shaped skis hit late 1990s.. It's what kind of skiing you do, what terrain (groomed or park/bumps/big mountain), and who you learned to ski from more than what kind of gear you ride..

Reactions: zag

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Flawed.. Look at all the park rats and mogul competitors who are under age 22. Shaped skis hit late 1990s.. It's what kind of skiing you do, what terrain (groomed or park/bumps/big mountain), and who you learned to ski from more than what kind of gear you ride..
Skiing like a park rat or mogul competitor is great if you're a park rat or a mogul competitor. If you're a generalist like 99.5% of us, it's not.

Sponsor

Staff online