• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Updated Factory Edge Angle list for 2021 models.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just noticed the latest list of 2021 factory edge angles on Evo and many manufacturers altering levels depending on models(and not just between their race and “all others” models).
Many skis with 1.2-1.5 degree base angles now from the factory which would require a base grind to reset if someone wanted a lower degree angle.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
This list looks suspect to me. No one does 1.2 and 1.3 base edge or even more hilarious a 2.2 or 2.8 side edge. :rolleyes:

Some sort of marketing plot to generate more tunes at the shop for the unsuspecting? Oh no sir, I am sorry but you can't do a tune yourself, you can't much the factory spec tune of a 1.3 base edge and a 2.8 degree side edge. And the poor bastard has no way to measure it once it's done. when he gets a 1/2. Or these come with a 1.2 base edge, if you want a 1, we need to do a stone grind and full tune.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Just noticed the latest list of 2021 factory edge angles on Evo and many manufacturers altering levels depending on models(and not just between their race and “all others” models).
Many skis with 1.2-1.5 degree base angles now from the factory which would require a base grind to reset if someone wanted a lower degree angle.

I've seen skis with lots of base bevel for a long time. Nothing new.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Remember when Stockli announced a few years back that they are using a 1.3/1.4 base angles on their AR and AX models and everyone was up in arms on this site? :huh:
Shows right in their own literature 1.4 base/2 side on those models. Other Stockli models get 1/2 angles and their race skis get .7/3 angles.

Know Armada and Black Crows has used 1.3 base on many of their freestyle/freeride models for a few years so it’s less catchy while spinning and reduces the desire to detune.

The reality is that fussy tuners like those on this site will have their new skis ground flat (if that aren’t from the factory) and hand tune their preferred edge angles. List like this may be a good resource for tuners to get an idea of how factories are setting their levels in case they have customers who want their skis “like they were from the factory” later in the future.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
RMU goes with 2 degree base, 1 degree side bevel? Isn't that a park ski tune?

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've seen skis with lots of base bevel for a long time. Nothing new.

I’ve seen companies do all their skis with higher base bevels like Armada but seems to be more companies adding a touch higher base bevels on some of their models.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Crazy.

My experience is the tune a ski has out-of-the-wrapper is often seemingly a roll of the dice & rarely accurately matches what's on some "factory tune" list (or what a rep says or even what the manuf may document someplace).

Whenever I get new skis, I just make sure they get tuned to my specs (based on the ski & how I'll use it) and then I make sure they stay that way. Simple.

Jacques

Skier
Crazy.

My experience is the tune a ski has out-of-the-wrapper is often seemingly a roll of the dice & rarely accurately matches what's on some "factory tune" list (or what a rep says or even what the manuf may document someplace).

Whenever I get new skis, I just make sure they get tuned to my specs (based on the ski & how I'll use it) and then I make sure they stay that way. Simple.
Do you base grind all your new skis? Who do you have do the work? Hand edges, or machine?

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Do you base grind all your new skis? Who do you have do the work? Hand edges, or machine?
When I buy new (or used) skis I check them and then do what is needed to get them tuned where I want them. Sometimes this requires I get the bases ground flat at a local shop. Rarely, I'll have a local shop do the actual tuning.

For the actual tuning: 99% of the time I do it myself with hand tuning tools. Main tools are Beast & Skivisions tools. Tognar & The Raceplace are my primary sources for tools because they are local and trustworthy.

When I do have a shop do the tuning it has been for used skis that I've bought that were in bad shape - needing multiple rounds between the grinder & benchwork. In recent years, I've only acquired two or three pairs of used skis that were in that bad of shape.

Also, if I do have a shop do the tune, I'll usually have them do a .5 or .75 base (whichever their machine can do consistently) and 3 side. If that later proves to be too aggressive for the particular ski design then it's easy for me to knock the base edges down to a 1 base.

In any case, even if I have a shop tune my skis I almost always end up having to spend some time refining their tune to suit my needs or "fixing" their attempt to de-tune the skis - even though I wrote on the work tag "DON'T DETUNE!!!".

I wish ski manufacturers would offer performance skis with ski base graphics that showed "NEVER DETUNE" or "DETUNE & U DIE" in huge bright letters.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I don't get new skis very often, but when I do I take them in for grinding to my specs. And then pray that they actually do as I tell them. I not only put what I want on the work order, but also tape all that to the skis themselves. And then I retune them at home so I'm sure they are right.

Jacques

Skier
When I buy new (or used) skis I check them and then do what is needed to get them tuned where I want them. Sometimes this requires I get the bases ground flat at a local shop. Rarely, I'll have a local shop do the actual tuning.

For the actual tuning: 99% of the time I do it myself with hand tuning tools. Main tools are Beast & Skivisions tools. Tognar & The Raceplace are my primary sources for tools because they are local and trustworthy.

When I do have a shop do the tuning it has been for used skis that I've bought that were in bad shape - needing multiple rounds between the grinder & benchwork. In recent years, I've only acquired two or three pairs of used skis that were in that bad of shape.

Also, if I do have a shop do the tune, I'll usually have them do a .5 or .75 base (whichever their machine can do consistently) and 3 side. If that later proves to be too aggressive for the particular ski design then it's easy for me to knock the base edges down to a 1 base.

In any case, even if I have a shop tune my skis I almost always end up having to spend some time refining their tune to suit my needs or "fixing" their attempt to de-tune the skis - even though I wrote on the work tag "DON'T DETUNE!!!".

I wish ski manufacturers would offer performance skis with ski base graphics that showed "NEVER DETUNE" or "DETUNE & U DIE" in huge bright letters.
Okay, I was curious who you get to grind your skis. If you don't want to say, that's fine.
I don't think anybody around here is going to grind a ski totally flat to include edges.
If you get a ski with 1 degree or whatever more inconsistent base bevel, you can only grind so much, so getting to a .05 base ............................good luck.
I know people here talk about it all the time, but I have my doubts.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Okay, I was curious who you get to grind your skis. If you don't want to say, that's fine.
I don't think anybody around here is going to grind a ski totally flat to include edges.
If you get a ski with 1 degree or whatever more inconsistent base bevel, you can only grind so much, so getting to a .05 base ............................good luck.
Does the Race Place not do a good job? I've had athletes buy skis through them in the past and have them do the initial setup, and it's usually been a pretty solid prep job.
(Sorry for drift)

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
The Race Place has done a good job on my last 3 grinds. Bases were indeed flat - edge to edge. I know how to check.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Does the Race Place not do a good job? I've had athletes buy skis through them in the past and have them do the initial setup, and it's usually been a pretty solid prep job.
(Sorry for drift)
This isn't thread drift.

They do a good job. They know what they're doing. I enjoy chatting with the guy that runs the operation - he knows his stuff & works crazy hard.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't have a fancy gauge, yet.

Old school shows these were all pretty flat. The 104 showed a little irregular base. The GSM seemed close to .5/2 and the others where 1/2ish. Told the owners to ski them for a while and then well we take to ski shop, when less busy.

1607730560810.png

Sponsor

Staff online