• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Unusual Aspen employee lawsuit

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I was at Cessna, salaried employees below a certain level got paid straight time for overtime, although there was no contractual or legal requirement.

When times were tough, there was a big meeting where the VP in charge of our divisions said we would be able/required to help out by working overtime without pay.

I eventually got promoted to the level that didn't pay overtime to begin with.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
two senior pilots and two senior FAs for a major airline

Senior and major is the operative word here.

Thing is -- the pay scales and benefits of those who got into the industry 15 or 20 years ago, are nothing like the prospects for those who have entered in the last 10 til now based on the couple of early-career FAs and pilots I know. Not to mention the number of available jobs not at majors these days.

If the facts are as laid out by the worker, pretty bad look for Aspen. Pay your workers when you expect them to perform work duties.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah I've never been in a role that would pay overtime except in very unique circumstances. If you need to work 72 hours to finish, it's that or be fired. Simple..

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One year, I had to ask my principal for permission to leave 10 minutes early to pick my son up from school. This meant that my “bus duty” would have to be during the morning arrival. My contractual hours were from 8:25 until 3:45. The principal began by pointing out my contracted hours went to 3:45 NOT 3:35. I responded with, “just to be clear, are you asking me to work strictly to my contractual hours?” He gave me morning duty and let me leave 10 minutes early for that school year. Not a single parent teacher conference ever took place during my contractual hours. Most days, I picked my son up and came back to work another couple of hours.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
They actually stop getting paid when the wheels hit the ground.

Good grief - that's the 1940s!!

The pay of British merchant sailors in ww2 was stopped the instant their ship was torpedoed. The reason given was they were no longer on duty and their employers didn't know if they'd survived. :rolleyes:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey it could be the biggest class action of all time - everyone gets paid for their commute. What about those reserved for so and so parking spots? That time could add up fast.

When I was a kid it was a double bonus to drive the box truck to Boston - free gas, parking, and a paid commute. It was usually assigned to the better or more senior employees so like a bonus of sorts except when it took the whole 45 minute drive to heat up the cabin.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
Yeah I've never been in a role that would pay overtime except in very unique circumstances. If you need to work 72 hours to finish, it's that or be fired. Simple..

People generally work those types of jobs with the expectation it will eventually lead to bigger and bigger salaries. Hopefully it worked out for you.

Take away the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow though, and most employees will choose other work with less of an impact on home life.

Supply and demand.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
People generally work those types of jobs with the expectation it will eventually lead to bigger and bigger salaries. Hopefully it worked out for you.

Take away the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow though, and most employees will choose other work with less of an impact on home life.

Supply and demand.
Yeah I did ok. And honestly it was a fair company that was well managed, I felt ok about it.

If I could impart any wisdom to young people, I'd say don't be afraid to be tough when negotiating your compensation package. You're a more valuable commodity than you know. Our lawyers beat the crap out of our employer because they know what a contract is and they know their own value.

Sponsor

Staff online