• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Unicorn skis

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I took a 30+ year break from skiing and when I came back a couple of years ago I was amazed in the changes that happened to skis and bindings.

I missed a lot of iconic skis along the way and have worked to catch up on what I missed by reading this and other forums.

I’m curious what people would name as unicorn skis: one that can carve on hard pack and float on the fresh, one that charges hard and is playful and easy to pivot. That unicorn do-it-all ski that just works no matter what you want do. Not something great but the truly exceptional skis.

I can make the argument that part of it is the skier and not the ski, but let’s talk about the gear itself!

I’ll start by throwing out the Blossom White Out. I ski a Vist-branded version and it seems to do whatever I want and need it to.

I suspect we will get the Stockli Laser AX. Looking forward to hearing from others.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
All skis that belie their dimensions.
  1. (Original) Kastle MX88
  2. Renoun Z90
  3. Stockli Laser AX
  4. Blossom Whiteout

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm beginning to feel that way about the Renoun Citadel (178 cm, 106 mm). @Philpug, how much has the Citadel evolved since the one I have? It is snappy, stable, light, floaty in powder and a real winner in the tight trees and lines I like to ski.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’m curious what people would name as unicorn skis: one that can carve on hard pack and float on the fresh, one that charges hard and is playful and easy to pivot. That unicorn do-it-all ski that just works no matter what you want do. Not something great but the truly exceptional skis.

That describes the Rossi Black Ops 98, for me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
Testers (and me) just spent a bunch of time on the Renoun Earhart 88 which is a minor variation of the Endurance 88...and it ticks all the boxes Dougb is looking for really well. Have not personally skied the Endurance 88, but people really, really like it for its wide envelope of performance all over the mountain in all kinds of conditions... Plus.. you can return it for a refund if you don't like it after 3 days of skiing...plus a 2 year warranty...

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'm convinced that Fischer has a fantastic formula for marrying the sidecut to the rocker profile to create skis that still perform fantastic on hard snow while easily transforming into a playful ski for 3D snow conditions. They don't needlessly soften these skis through the tip since they're already well rockered.

I first experienced this ski design on the "ski of the year" RC One 86 GT. I have since acquired the Fischer Brilliant MT (a high line version of the Pro MT 80 Ti), the Pro MT 86 Ti, and the Pro MT 95 Ti. I am actively looking for a good end of season deal on the 86 GT. All of these skis have this same tip design (and is seen across the entire RC One series).

This tip design combines the rocker and the sidecut profile into the "unicorn" capability because it provides really high performance carving without any surprises; no abrupt change to the turn radius as you continue to increase the tipping angle during the turn and solid turn initiation at the start (it's not "vague" as many skis with tip rocker can exhibit). I skied the Brilliant MT today in 6-12" of fresh snow and the rocker is the perfect amount to keep things fun in the untouched and easily deal with the chop without being hooky one bit.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Monster 88

Mine just arrived in the mail. Looking forward to riding it this weekend.

monster.jpg

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I love my AXs & my Monster 88s, but not really in more than maybe 4-6" or 6-8"of powder.
The Enforcer 100s give up a little in comparison on groomers and roughed-up snow, but make up for it in deeper powder.
I'd say there are probably a lot more unicorn skiers than unicorn skis.

TS
Dougb

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm convinced that Fischer has a fantastic formula for marrying the sidecut to the rocker profile to create skis that still perform fantastic on hard snow while easily transforming into a playful ski for 3D snow conditions. They don't needlessly soften these skis through the tip since they're already well rockered.

I first experienced this ski design on the "ski of the year" RC One 86 GT. I have since acquired the Fischer Brilliant MT (a high line version of the Pro MT 80 Ti), the Pro MT 86 Ti, and the Pro MT 95 Ti. I am actively looking for a good end of season deal on the 86 GT. All of these skis have this same tip design (and is seen across the entire RC One series).

This tip design combines the rocker and the sidecut profile into the "unicorn" capability because it provides really high performance carving without any surprises; no abrupt change to the turn radius as you continue to increase the tipping angle during the turn and solid turn initiation at the start (it's not "vague" as many skis with tip rocker can exhibit). I skied the Brilliant MT today in 6-12" of fresh snow and the rocker is the perfect amount to keep things fun in the untouched and easily deal with the chop without being hooky one bit.

I've never skied Fischer. I think out West here a lot of people would add the Ranger 102 FR to the RC One 86 GT. Not a bad 1-2 unicorn quiver come to think of it!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
When I bought my 4FRNTs I noticed the marketing blurb about matching profile and side-cut radius. I thought it was just marketing, "Doesn't everybody do that?" It's only common sense to have the the ski when tipped to have the entire sidecut on a flat plane dialing up the same turn as the un-deformed rocker profile shape.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
When I bought my 4FRNTs I noticed the marketing blurb about matching profile and side-cut radius. I thought it was just marketing, "Doesn't everybody do that?" It's only common sense to have the the ski when tipped to have the entire sidecut on a flat plane dialing up the same turn as the un-deformed rocker profile shape.

Until you start considering various sizes of the same ski.

Now imagine having to match profile, flex *and* sidecut for all sizes in a given model - while staying on point for marketed waist sizes and nominal functionality, without becoming racerish in torsion, while still making sure the ski can be manufactured. Dreary. Boxed-in. Thankless. Frustrating.

If you're only doing it for 2 or 3 model sizes total, it IS just a marketing blurb.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Until you start considering various sizes of the same ski.

Now imagine having to match profile, flex *and* sidecut for all sizes in a given model - while staying on point for marketed waist sizes and nominal functionality, without becoming racerish in torsion, while still making sure the ski can be manufactured. Dreary. Boxed-in. Thankless. Frustrating.

If you're only doing it for 2 or 3 model sizes total, it IS just a marketing blurb.

You may be onto something there. And this focuses on how more manufacturers seem to be doing the work to actually scale the sizes accordingly and use separate design builds for each size. Fischer has been doing this for some of their skis for years. It makes sense, but as you noted, takes more work.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Old choice now, but the Enforcer 100 fits the bill for me.

I think @Atomicman is an even bigger fan.
Guilty as charged Tom! Actually Ski Mag named it 2021 Best in Test All Mountain! So don't apologize!

The ski does it all! Throw a 3 degree side edge on it & mount 'em with som Look Pivot 15's and you'll never look back! ...............I have barely skied on any of my 5 other skis since owning the Enforcer! Does it all! I have the older version and they say the newer is even better.

Men’s All-Mountain: Nordica Enforcer 100
2021 Nordica Enforcer 100 Men's All-Mountain Ski
The 2021 SKI Magazine Gear of the Year Nordica Enforcer 100 Men’s All-Mountain SkiPhoto courtesy of Nordica
Nordica’s iconic Enforcer 100 is all-new for 2021, and, according to our testers, it’s somehow better than ever before. The ski’s revamped construction, which features a new carbon chassis laminate and what the brand calls TrueTip technology, reduces weight and makes the ski smoother on edge, no matter the snow condition or speed. These new construction elements also add just a touch more forgiveness and a supple feel compared to previous versions, and are sure to make strong skiers smile. The testers at Taos showered the new Enforcer 100 with praise, noting that it rewards proper skiing technique with near-flawless performance. It earned the highest scores in the men’s All-Mountain category for Stability at Speed, Crud Performance, Hard-Snow Integrity, Versatility, and Overall Impression. All of these factors added up to winning Best in Test for men’s All-Mountain skis and the coveted Gear of the Year award for 2021.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online