• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
So this week Jackson Hole is hosting their Steep and Deep camp which I had signed up to attend.

This past weekend was also Winter Storm Harper here in the Northeast and Midwest that basically made getting to Jackson on time impossible.

When I realized I wasn't going to reach Jackson Hole this week, I called the Jackson Hole office asking what could be done regarding cancellation fees, postponing to a later camp date, etc., despite their website clearly stating "no refunds for cancellations within 72 hours". No hesitation, arguing, etc; they quickly told me "You have a full refund coming, we understand you can't control the weather and getting to Jackson can be difficult".

:golfclap: Can't complain about a response like that.

Meanwhile, American Airlines apparently likes keeping their passengers in the dark. Cancelled flights at the last minute, not notifying about delays (delayed out of Chicago to come home; after delaying us for two hours, they finally admitted that the flight crew wasn't in Chicago yet and they had no idea if or when we could take off), rude customer service, partial refunds ("we got you as far as Chicago" Jeez. Thanks). Not to get political, but there were unpaid TSA agents who were more helpful than American Airlines employees.

One of these companies will get future business from me. The other... not so much.

No real question here and not intending to throw the airlines under the bus either as I'm sure the lingering effects of the storm fouled up everything. More kudos to Jackson Hole for doing it right.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m glad JH stepped up and made things right. I’m sure they deal with all kinds of issues and understand that not helping out in these situations would reflect poorly on them. Sadly I think the airlines feel like they have business either way and operate with just their bottom line in mind.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
So this week Jackson Hole is hosting their Steep and Deep camp which I had signed up to attend.

This past weekend was also Winter Storm Harper here in the Northeast and Midwest that basically made getting to Jackson on time impossible.

When I realized I wasn't going to reach Jackson Hole this week, I called the Jackson Hole office asking what could be done regarding cancellation fees, postponing to a later camp date, etc., despite their website clearly stating "no refunds for cancellations within 72 hours". No hesitation, arguing, etc; they quickly told me "You have a full refund coming, we understand you can't control the weather and getting to Jackson can be difficult".

Meanwhile, American Airlines apparently likes keeping their passengers in the dark. Cancelled flights at the last minute, not notifying about delays (delayed out of Chicago to come home; after delaying us for two hours, they finally admitted that the flight crew wasn't in Chicago yet and they had no idea if or when we could take off), rude customer service, partial refunds ("we got you as far as Chicago" Jeez. Thanks). Not to get political, but there were unpaid TSA agents who were more helpful than American Airlines employees.

One of these companies will get future business from me. The other... not so much.

No real question here and not intending to throw the airlines under the bus either as I'm sure the lingering effects of the storm fouled up everything. More kudos to Jackson Hole for doing it right.
yes the airlines suck and feel that you should be honored to buy a ticket from them. I had recent experience with united that was similar and was a issue on all flights of my round trip flight. biggest reason we drive to Colorado now . I even have a ridiculous amount of miles on hand.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
I’m glad JH stepped up and made things right. I’m sure they deal with all kinds of issues and understand that not helping out in these situations would reflect poorly on them.

The Jackson Hole camp director called me today and indicated that there were “several” camp attendees who were unable to reach Jackson on time due to the weekend storm.

I didn’t inquire, but I assume everyone got full refunds. Take care of your customers and they will take care of you.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The customer service from airlines can be a very, "Special" experience . :nono:

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Just left Jackson for Big Sky. Don't mean to twist the knife, but the last two days were some of the best conditions I've ever skied at Jackson. I even poached a few sick lines following a Steep and Deep group into the woods!

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Just left Jackson for Big Sky. Don't mean to twist the knife, but the last two days were some of the best conditions I've ever skied at Jackson. I even poached a few sick lines following a Steep and Deep group into the woods!

Thanks for the update... :nono: I asked the JH camp director if I wanted to know what I had missed in terms of conditions, etc. She responded "you probably don't".

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Aw, come on. Was that really necessary?

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
The customer service from airlines can be a very, "Special" experience . :nono:

Hmmm. I fly Delta pretty much exclusively, and have never felt let down. Generally they seem to go out of their way to communicate, and make people comfortable.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm. I fly Delta pretty much exclusively, and have never felt let down. Generally they seem to go out of their way to communicate, and make people comfortable.

Delta has been far and away the best domestic airline for me over the last few years. Unfortunately, they were 3x the price of American for flights for my family to Jackson for Presidents week, so we're flying American. I'm not expecting anything great, but hopefully no disasters.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I had a similarly great customer service experience with JHMR. Skiing in a lesson with @TPJ , I took a spill that broke my jaw and knocked out a couple of teeth, ending my day at about 11am. I called customer service a week or two later to see if I could maybe get a raincheck on the other half day for the lesson for next time I was back. Instead, after asking whether I was OK, they refunded the full cost of the lesson and also refunded the cost of my lift ticket.

I love the mountain and would be heading back regardless, but that level of customer service certainly didn't hurt Jackson when it came time to make a decision on where to take my family for Presidents week.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Knowing @KevinF as I do, and imagining the expression on his face when he read your post....
:roflmao:

See you all at Big Sky :D

Reactions: TPJ

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
oops

TPJ

Like PBJ, but not as ubiquitous!
Instructor
I had a similarly great customer service experience with JHMR. Skiing in a lesson with @TPJ , I took a spill that broke my jaw and knocked out a couple of teeth, ending my day at about 11am. I called customer service a week or two later to see if I could maybe get a raincheck on the other half day for the lesson for next time I was back. Instead, after asking whether I was OK, they refunded the full cost of the lesson and also refunded the cost of my lift ticket.

I love the mountain and would be heading back regardless, but that level of customer service certainly didn't hurt Jackson when it came time to make a decision on where to take my family for Presidents week.

It was really fun skiing with you and your wife this week. No broken jaws this time :golfclap:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
When I damaged my shoulder at Jackson Hole, they refunded my lift ticket cost for day of my injury, and, for the 3 unused tickets bought on a weekly pass. No hassle, just had to have a note from the Jackson Hole on-site medical center who repaired my dislocation. Outstanding customer service to a damaged client.

Personally, my thoughts about weather ther caused airline delays and holding an airline accountable for the getting things back together to the satisfaction of an individual traveler is an almost impossible task. Much of my career was in the electric utility distribution industry. Major storms, especially winter ice, just overwhelm the system, both from a personnel and computer systems perspective. It's just chaos, for all involved, and it takes a lot of time to get back to normal. When flying to a ski destination, we all know the risks, we all know what happens when we are in the "wrong place at the wrong time" during a major storm system. Grin and bear it, make the most of a bad situation. I give the airline industry a lot of credit for flying in some rough conditions, and, getting me into mountain regions during weather. I've been amazed several times in Jackson airport that our flights did fly.

My worst experience was on a homewards bound flight, we left Jackson Hole, flew to Atlanta, and had the trip to Philly cancelled due to major snow in the east. Spent the next 2 days in Atlanta before an open seat was available. I can't fault Delta, yeah, I had delays getting to speak with rep, and, there was no compensation for my costs. It's all part of risk and rewards of skiing.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor

That’s terrible! I hope you healed up quickly!

TPJ

Like PBJ, but not as ubiquitous!
Instructor
Knowing @KevinF as I do, and imagining the expression on his face when he read your post....
:roflmao:

See you all at Big Sky :D

I’m booked on a half day early gondola tomorrow and Saturday. I’m currently available to ski in the afternoons if you would like to get together. I’ll PM you my number and you should do the same.

I’m always willing to try to make some time for a run or two with forum members, if they reach out.

Sponsor

Staff online