• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tuning Elan skis

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone have experience tuning and skiing Elans amphibio skis?

I usually detune the tips and tails of my ski's-how to do this on say Ripstick 96 skis? From factory they are what on the edges, zero/zero or 1/1, what happens when 1 degree base and l or 2 degrees side?

My new 19-20 Ripstick 96 181cm will be my go to ski this year (have 88xti for solid snow days/groomers and Praxis Protest for any deep days-over 8-10 in. Have base prepared bases, tuned to 1 and 1 and was wondering if I did right.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone have experience tuning and skiing Elans amphibio skis?

I usually detune the tips and tails of my ski's-how to do this on say Ripstick 96 skis? From factory they are what on the edges, zero/zero or 1/1, what happens when 1 degree base and l or 2 degrees side?

My new 19-20 Ripstick 96 181cm will be my go to ski this year (have 88xti for solid snow days/groomers and Praxis Protest for any deep days-over 8-10 in. Have base prepared bases, tuned to 1 and 1 and was wondering if I did right.
I assume your real question is, What's different about tuning the Amphibio design, vs. tuning a conventional ski?

My answer is that for civilian home tuners like us, nothing is different. If you're in a shop, working with the whole width of the base at once, as when stone grinding, then it might matter. I don't know about you, but other than scraping and brushing wax, I never do anything base-wide at home.

Specifically, I would not detune* the inside and outside edges of tips and tails differently. IMO the tiny bit of difference in rocker between inside and outside should influence WHEN the edges engage at a particular location, not WHETHER they engage.

* Elects not to get on detuning soapbox at this particular moment.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I agree with Tony S above. For myself though, I would tune them 1/3 or 1/4.
The way one side has more boat shape in the tip will take care of itself.
I actually like some skis with boat shaped tips and tails. Fun to ski. Easy and playful.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My 88XTi skis came 1/3 and I've kept them there tuning at home. No detuning whatsoever! I made sure to take them to a shop at Killington that carries Elan skis for any machine work. I took a look at their Ripsticks and Wingmans last season, but they didn't feel substantial enough for my size

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
Been on the Ripsticks since they first came out. I've been happy with the factory 1/2, no detuning needed.

Sponsor

Staff online