• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

asolo

Booting up
Skier
I am an intermediate advancing skier (5'9", 150). I am looking at Tecnica Mach1 MV 120 boots. I have skied a few days in these boots. The fit and stiffness seem more or less okay. I have tried removing one stiffness control bolt and did not like it. I think if anything, I want stiffer.

One problem I have is too much "vertical" space in the toe area. I can crank up the forward most buckle to the max, but then the arch starts to suffer. I feel like too much space in front affects my ability to precisely drive the ski tips in powder and on ice when I want to keep the tips connected to surface at all times. Here's a question: what's the recommendation with respect to having too much "vertical" space in toe box?

I can still return these boots and try something entirely different. I suspect, I have weird feet: as a kid I was a pro figure skater, extensively training feet for jumping (on the upside, I can take a lot of boot pain and cold). My mondo is 27.5, the instep is about 30, the width is at least 105, perhaps more. I would love any boot brand recommendations. I am near Boulder, CO and would also appreciate any bootfitter recommendations.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMHO, the too much toe volume is a symptom of another problem. I am not sure of any fitters to recommend in the Boulder are, or on the front range but Racers Edge in Breck and SBF in Vail/Beaver Creek are top choices.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier

WildBillD

Booting up
Skier
I would try the technica mach 1 in an lv. From what I am told from boot fitting friends this model is a boot fitters dream as it has small dimples at strategic points for Expansion. If your problem is with toebox, the lv might be better, the last and ankle area can be easily blown out near the dimpe areas. From your skaters experience, it seems that are comfortable in a tight fitting boot.

But by all means see a boot fitter and invest in a footbed. The footbed alone may solve your problem

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The OP said his foot was "105" - I assume he means width...could be a tough squeeze with an lv boot...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
what's the recommendation with respect to having too much "vertical" space in toe box
Could you put some closed cell neoprene on the outside of the liner across the top of the loose spot? Work to lower the roof instead of raising the floor which could have ramp issues. You could also conceivably "unpunch" the top of the boot a bit but too much and the buckles will be funky.

Pro boot fitters, is that an option?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Could you put some closed cell neoprene on the outside of the liner across the top of the loose spot? Work to lower the roof instead of raising the floor which could have ramp issues. You could also conceivably "unpunch" the top of the boot a bit but too much and the buckles will be funky.

Pro boot fitters, is that an option?

No pro here, but I have done sorta exactly that. Just used a layer or two of Gorilla tape and it felt like a HUGE change, because with feet a millimeter is a mile.

But why is more volume in the toe box a problem?

For a variety of reasons -- be they right, wrong or indifferent -- I really dislike excess room in the toe area of all foot gear. I suspect the OP's pro figure skating background leaves him with very strong opinions of what type of fit he is looking for, but perhaps he will chime in.

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
I am not sure how much of a real problem the extra toe volume really is. Perhaps I am over thinking it. Yet, when I am really trying to be precise about my ski tips, it feels like extra space in the forefoot is not good.

I have done quite a few more experiments and going to 26.5 (one mondo point down) is definitely helpful. But then in most boots I do not have enough volume in the midfoot and instep.

I have visited Larry in Boulder and he could not find a boot for me in his stock (the first fitter that did not just try to send me home with whatever, thank you!). I made life more difficult by asking for Dynafit tech fittings, since I really like my BC skis and lightweight gear in general. The recommendation was to try Dalbello Lupo AX 120.

So far the closest boots that I found are Rossignol Alltrack 120 LT in 26.5. In non-tech boots Tecnica Mach 1 HV in 26.5 may work. In pure touring boots, Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro seemed kind of close.

I guess my foot shape can be described as: high instep, high arch, high volume midfoot, steep drop to forefoot, medium-wide (running shoes are wide sizes).

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Have you had success finding other ski boots in the past? I feel like the volume around the toe area is the biggest difference between my skates and my ski boots; the boots are snug, but the toe area on my Jacksons is a real cram-em-in-there experience unlike any other. I like the precision on skates, but they beat the hell out of my feet on a level that I think I would be sick of after an eight hour ski day.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
The trend in toe boxes as with athletic shoe is more open, so don't think you will find what you are looking for. You might be able to achieve what you are after by cutting a thick sock and use the end as a toe cap, like used when molding an intuition liner.

Sponsor