• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Youtube rabbit hole OR things that are things that I didn't know about

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
What killed the non-avian dinosaurs 66 million years ago?

A quite deep dive into the politics of science, the public relations of science, how science becomes meta, and what exactly do we mean by consensus. Titanium capsules recommended.

Featuring :

Charles Lyell as The Uniformitanian Knight
Luis Alvarez as The Disdainful Physicist

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The number of views of this on Youtube is 5.6 million. Why?

a) it's been out for years and years and years b) she has a very calming voice that people like for ASMR c) actual Alexander technique which is like the OG mindfulness superpower

In other words, she's like the Bob Ross of la femme Nikita programming...

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
a) it's been out for years and years and years b) she has a very calming voice that people like for ASMR c) actual Alexander technique which is like the OG mindfulness superpower

In other words, she's like the Bob Ross of la femme Nikita programming...

I saw that. Evidently this ASMR thing is a thing. Really? Why?

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I saw
I saw that. Evidently this ASMR thing is a thing.

It's been a thing under that name for over a decade now.

Oh my, yes. And the proof is: here is a WaPo article about it ...from 2014.

I think at least the soothing voice part of it has always been a thing. People have been listening to the Shipping Forecast, watching Bob Ross, or listening to Stacey Keach narrate PBS' Nova to fall asleep far longer than the term 'ASMR' has existed. Also, comforting ritual. There have been people who like nurse interviews or flight attendant presentation longer than Youtube has been a thing.

Beyond that, it might fulfill a comforting sense of rightness (unboxing), comforting personal attention (doctors visit), comforting non-distracting noise (tapping, crackling, brushing)...or whatever. I think at least some of them might have non-subtle erotic elements.

:huh:
<-not a neuropsychologist

The real question to my mind is - why did Alexander technique *not* take off like ASMR very much did.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Oh, Ephemeral Rift was one of the driving inventive forces behind the first ASMR wave :thumb:

Baba Sen the Cosmic Barber (RIP), early Heather Feather, MassageASMR, early WhispersRed

*nostalgia*

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any video with the Contemporary Youth Orchestra is incredible

Sponsor

Staff online