• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Ocean

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Kure Beach NC. There were dolphins out there popping up about 200 feet out. Couldn't catch them though..
View attachment 206144
Nice. I love the beaches of NC they rival the beaches of NJ. I find the Outer Banks are beautiful and I like Oak Island NC also. Enjoy your vacation.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread got me thinking
So many people in the world don’t ever see any oceans in their lifetime
Most of us Kiwis swim in the ocean at sometime in their lives as New Zealand's farthest inland point, at 45°00′34.0″S 169°22′24.5″E, is only 119.44 kilometres (74.22 mi) from both the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean.
It is near Cromwell, Otago in the South Island

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
dolphins out there popping
Took these over the weekend on the inter-coastal along Oak Is / Holden.
20230618_140728.jpg
20230618_140707.jpg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
This thread got me thinking
So many people in the world don’t ever see any oceans in their lifetime
Most of us Kiwis swim in the ocean at sometime in their lives as New Zealand's farthest inland point, at 45°00′34.0″S 169°22′24.5″E, is only 119.44 kilometres (74.22 mi) from both the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean.
It is near Cromwell, Otago in the South Island
So I grew up on a lake here in Ontario. Water kid from age three. But it's lake water. I went to Turks and Caicos not knowing what to expect. Thought the tourist brochures were all air brushed blue. It was quite a thing for me. My kids will for sure experience that also being water kids. Its fantastic.

Uncle-A

Skier
So I grew up on a lake here in Ontario. Water kid from age three. But it's lake water. I went to Turks and Caicos not knowing what to expect. Thought the tourist brochures were all air brushed blue. It was quite a thing for me. My kids will for sure experience that also being water kids. Its fantastic.
I have been lucky to have been swimming/surfing in both the Atlantic, and Pacific Oceans. Also swimming in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea, they all have their special charm and I would like to visit and swim in some of the other places in the world. Travel is an important family activity, definitely take your kids to several different oceans when ever you can.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Couple years ago our scout troop ran a sailing badge weekend out there..
Interesting - I was keeping an eye out for areas to sail (thinking more board sailing), but nothing jumped out at me.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Interesting - I was keeping an eye out for areas to sail (thinking more board sailing), but nothing jumped out at me.
I think they were just tacking up and back that inlet in little sunfish sailboats.. They had to flip it and recover it as the most complicated requirement. Camped out somewhere near there. Sometimes they do it up by Beaufort when they have a bigger boat available.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I have been lucky to have been swimming/surfing in both the Atlantic, and Pacific Oceans. Also swimming in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea, they all have their special charm and I would like to visit and swim in some of the other places in the world. Travel is an important family activity, definitely take your kids to several different oceans when ever you can.
Water, as in Seas, Lakes, Rivers have always exercised a special attraction to me.
I was born in a town on the shores of a lake (in an hospital, not literally, eh!), after all.
I like to say that, as snow melts and starts its journey to the seas, so I follow it and move from the mountains to the seas...
I was 8 month old when I was brought by the seaside for the first time and, upon noticing the little waves impacting the beach, started to crawl/walk toward the water. My family had top keep me on a toddler chair or I would, upon touching the ground, immediately direct myself toward the shoreline.
I have swam so far in the Mediterranean Sea (in different regions of Italy, Greece, France), in the English Channel, in the Baltic Sea, in the Red Sea, in the Caribbean, in the Lakes Como and Garda, in the rivers here in Northern Italy, but there are so many waters to reach...never tire to dive (as in jump into) and swim, snorkel and freedive in the seas/lakes whenever possible, never tire of being amazed by what I see in there. I do not surf, but have recently taken up SUP'ing, fun activity as well (and good to exercise balance and coordination)!

Uncle-A

Skier
Water, as in Seas, Lakes, Rivers have always exercised a special attraction to me.
I was born in a town on the shores of a lake (in an hospital, not literally, eh!), after all.
I like to say that, as snow melts and starts its journey to the seas, so I follow it and move from the mountains to the seas...
I was 8 month old when I was brought by the seaside for the first time and, upon noticing the little waves impacting the beach, started to crawl/walk toward the water. My family had top keep me on a toddler chair or I would, upon touching the ground, immediately direct myself toward the shoreline.
I have swam so far in the Mediterranean Sea (in different regions of Italy, Greece, France), in the English Channel, in the Baltic Sea, in the Red Sea, in the Caribbean, in the Lakes Como and Garda, in the rivers here in Northern Italy, but there are so many waters to reach...never tire to dive (as in jump into) and swim, snorkel and freedive in the seas/lakes whenever possible, never tire of being amazed by what I see in there. I do not surf, but have recently taken up SUP'ing, fun activity as well (and good to exercise balance and coordination)!
The Mediterranean is on my wish list and Lake Como would be fun. So many great places, although I no longer surf but still have a surf board and a paddle so that is something I need to find time to participate. Thanks for sharing.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
One of the better posters I have ever seen was for whitewater kayaking. A slalom boat doing what slalom boats do, with the caption; "What do you do with the snow when it melts?"
I bought a kayak that summer.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
20230724_114123.jpg

Orange County, CA.
Day one of hanging out during annual jr. lifeguard week for the kid. Its a hard assignment, but someone has to do it ;) :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
Orange County, CA.
Day one of hanging out during annual jr. lifeguard week for the kid. Its a hard assignment, but someone has to do it ;) :roflmao:
20230724_114123-jpg.207963
Hope you’ve got blue block.
Just the photo is painful in the land of grey.

Sponsor

Staff online