• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick mod note to all the Mad River and Perfect North folks... if anyone wants to create an "eastern mid-west" seasonal thread, please feel free to create one... Always good to have a "home thread" for finding local or semi-local skiers. (And I'd be happy to move some of the earlier posts there if folks would prefer that.)

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
35 miles due north - Wisp is cranking out snow. 67 miles due north - 7 Springs is cranking out snow. Yes it will rain at some point. Doesn't matter. 7 Springs will have over 600,000 skier visits this winter. 54 miles to the southeast, Snowshoe will have over 600,000 skier visits this winter. That is not a typo. Aside from two trails at the Shoe, Timberline has more vert and better terrain than anything in the mid-atlantic. If you build it they will come.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Perfect North Slopes is opening on Friday!

This Thread seems to have made a sharp left at Timberline and has gone in a whole new direction?!?!?

maybe...maybe not

Interesting that a few people are talking about Perfect North...... can anyone verify whether the owners of this resort were in the Valley last week touring Timberline?

Today, was a beautiful day in the Valley.

Time for rumors and speculations?

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've actually met several people at all the WV ski areas coming from the Ohio / Indiana area. Perfect North is often mentioned. Think of it as a feeder area for west by god.

Mook21

Booting up
Skier
35 miles due north - Wisp is cranking out snow. 67 miles due north - 7 Springs is cranking out snow. Yes it will rain at some point. Doesn't matter. 7 Springs will have over 600,000 skier visits this winter. 54 miles to the southeast, Snowshoe will have over 600,000 skier visits this winter. That is not a typo. Aside from two trails at the Shoe, Timberline has more vert and better terrain than anything in the mid-atlantic. If you build it they will come.

Well said Rodney!

DC_Doug

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Sheesh, I just have to make my first post. It's not looking good for Timberline to ever re-open, and I just don't understand it.

Timberline is less than 3hrs from one of the fastest-growing (#6), wealthiest (#3) metro areas in the US. The rapid urbanization of the DC metro will drive people to Canaan looking for some psychological relief. The spectacular scenery on the Corridor H drive alone makes it worth the trip.

Think of how many Epic or Ikon passes the bigs could sell out of Timberline. $5,000,000 in revenue is less than 8,000 $650 passes. They'd sell that many the first day they're available.

Timberline has a fantastic snowmaking climate from Nov. 1 through March (not that you'd need to), good vertical and terrain, a true 4 season area (except spring) that is heaven in the summertime compared to the DC area. The summer temperatures 15-20F cooler than DC are ideal. Absolutely no insects and the best star gazing this side of Green Bank. Summer and fall in Canaan are better than winter, and winter is fantastic.

The DC area has finally discovered Canaan Valley and crowds have been growing since 2011. Everyone I talk with in Davis say they never would have believed there would be so many people coming to Canaan Valley.

I was hoping Peak Resorts was going to pick up Timberline since it'd have fit into their constellation, but apparently not with the Vail acquisition.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
Absolutely no insects

Well, not exactly true. Plenty of flies and chiggers are not unusual either. Mosquitos do not exist around the mountain but can be found in other parts of the area. Try hiking the Brown Mountain trail in shorts and a tank top in the warmer months and you will see what I mean.

Otherwise I completely agree with what you have said.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Lowered the bid to 1.5 mill?....that doesn't sound good to me...heck at that price the State could roll in and take it maybe...
.....After all these years of hoping for a mega resort on MPC but then being told to just be happy with the Valley and the 2 areas there...That modernizing them was a much better scenario...Well...if we lose that land as a Ski area ill be seriously disturbed.(like im not allready?).
....what a Shame it would be to not see a vibrant ski area there to compliment the other 2 areas..to keep things humming up there for the hard working folks that have fought year after year to stay afloat....for people like me who have invested tons of money in the area helping to keep folks employed and hoping not to lose on our investments...Skiis crossed bigtime for tuesday!!!!!

Sponsor

Staff online