• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Are they going to use a helicopter for the lift poles? This is what they used for Okemo in 2014. You need to get them before forest fires out west.
4D8D8129-BC17-4865-9880-922BD5645E79.jpeg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nah, they are way too red neck down there to use a chopper.

I was told up thread the used a dozer to pull a concrete truck up the slope. Never done that before. Usually we just call in a pump.
At this point I figured they will probably drag it up hill with the same dozer. Couple of horses, oxen and some rope, they are done. Miller time.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
At this point I figured they will probably drag it up hill with the same dozer. Couple of horses, oxen and some rope, they are done. Miller time.
They’re soft. These guys pulled a boat up a hill by hand winches. (Except in this clip they go backwards!)

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Are they going to use a helicopter for the lift poles? This is what they used for Okemo in 2014. You need to get them before forest fires out west.
View attachment 103749

I was told up thread the used a dozer to pull a concrete truck up the slope. Never done that before. Usually we just call in a pump.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier

They could have used a helicopter, but I'm sure the numbers didn't workout.
Plus, the people onsite seem to willing to work. In fact, they were still working last night at 6pm even after they got their 7.5hrs in.

Dragging a concrete truck up the hill is a much better option and more cost effective than trying to pump the concrete up the hill.

Snowmaking repairs to start soon.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Dragging a concrete truck up the hill is a much better option and more cost effective than trying to pump the concrete up the hill.

The concrete pumps don't try. They do.
The ready mix company in the city do not allow their trucks to go off road much. Too easy for the trucks to get stuck.
We use concrete pumps all the time. Makes the work go much faster. The accurate placement of the concrete reduces the labor required tremendously.

SCWVA

Skier
The ready mix company in the city do not allow their trucks to go off road much. Too easy for the trucks to get stuck.
We use concrete pumps all the time. Makes the work go much faster. The accurate placement of the concrete reduces the labor required tremendously.
Don't worry, I'm sure they used a bucket and a pump to place the concrete, cuz it's very time consuming to place concrete with 5gal buckets and a shovel with a broken handle.

James

Out There
Instructor
How high can they go before an intermediate pump? Looks like a small one-

wvrocks

Putting on skis
Skier

How does it make more sense to lay over 4000' of slick line up 1000' vertical to do multiple small pours? Multiple hundreds of yards in one general location, sure, that makes sense. But these aren't huge pours for lift tower bases and there is a road to both top and bottom terminals of both lifts. Time between trucks is an issue there too. They are at least an hour from the batch plant. Then there's the clean up and waste associated with breaking down slick lines. The only reason the trucks are being pulled is because its too steep in places along the access for them to run on their own power. I know its not how they do it in the city, but believe it or not, country folks (rednecks) can figure this stuff out.

Last edited:

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ive been told that lift poles started going up today on the quad. Ill confirm on Friday.
Who thought we'd be this far the first week of June?

Last edited:

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ive been told that lift poles started going up today on the quad. Ill confirm on Friday.
Who thought we'd be this far the first week of June?

Yeah. Probably helps that they could get started very early (no skiing, no snow), and other ski areas have cancelled/postponed lift projects so there are fewer delays from supplier issues.

SCWVA

Skier
Scenic lift rides or DH and Enduro races this fall?

Sponsor

Staff online