• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bluedon

Putting on skis
Skier
It would be cool if the new owners put up a "construction cam" with a live feed. It's obvious there is a huge demand to see the progress. Seems to me like a giant marketing opportunity is being missed. A simple Nest Cam is only 200 bucks.

I'd throw that thing up and broadcast the hell out of their huge investment.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It would be cool if the new owners put up a "construction cam" with a live feed. It's obvious there is a huge demand to see the progress. Seems to me like a giant marketing opportunity is being missed. A simple Nest Cam is only 200 bucks.

I'd throw that thing up and broadcast the hell out of their huge investment.
All fun and games until there is some kind of workplace accident where someone gets hurt or killed.. Then that goes super viral and a PR nightmare.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Already started, I think JimK and one other volunteered to be the “gathermeister”!!
I can't commit at this time. Who of us really can? :(
The resurrection of Timberline is the feel good story of the year for mid-Atlantic skiing! Feel good stories are hard to come by in 2020. I'll keep an open mind about attending a gathering there if I'm available.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The nomadic Oakland / LA / Las Vegas Raiders don't seem too worried.

https://www.raiders.com/stadium/allegiant-stadium-live-cam
They also didn't have a chairlift completely collapse a few years ago. Granted, entirely new owners, but the name Timberline still evokes sketchyness in the minds of many who were already familiar with it over the past decade.. and anyone who isn't won't be impressed if such a mishap were to happen and be seen by millions before all the copies could be shut down.

Also, it's quite clear to most that "The Raiders" aren't building the stadium or responsible for safety there. That falls on some other mega construction company and the banks. Something the size of a ski hill is way closer to home in where the buck stops.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All fun and games until there is some kind of workplace accident where someone gets hurt or killed.. Then that goes super viral and a OR nightmare.

This is one of the few times I agree with Charles, lol. You don’t video how the sausage is made, that could surprise and turn off few people. And a construction cam would get in the way of construction. Different situation for a billion dollar stadium.

But weekly photo updates would be nice.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The resurrection of Timberline is the feel good story of the year for mid-Atlantic skiing! Feel good stories are hard to come by in 2020. I'll keep an open mind about attending a gathering there if I'm available.

I think I’ll know where I’m skiing next January on January 31.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is one of the few times I agree with Charles, lol. You don’t video how the sausage is made, that could surprise and turn off few people. And a construction cam would get in the way of construction. Different situation for a billion dollar stadium.

But weekly photo updates would be nice.
If they work up top this week we"ll do some drone shots up top next weekend.

mdr227

Booting up
Skier

100% agree, have been so excited since the news of the upgrades came out and can't wait for the ski season to arrive next year. Last time we went to Timberline was a week after the lift had broken in 2016 and it was a miserable experience (late Feb, snowed about 6 inches while we were there which was great, but so much of the mountain closed still, one slow lift open, etc.) and wondered if we'd ever ski there again. Even as late as last Fall it looked like the mountain would never be open to skiing again and now we are going to have a high speed 6 person lift and a new four person lift along with snowmaking improvements as a start with much more to come is one of the few bits of good news I've had the last few months.

WV RVA Skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Views of where the upper & lower zip line towers used to be.
Upper zip line area:
The old Silver Queen lift base site and the upper zip line tower site area will be where the new carpet lift goes in for the beginner teaching area, enlarging the area that was roped off for basic beginner lessons, known as "The Garden".
Not sure exactly where the carpet will start and stop.

Lower zip line tower area:
The small old ticket booth shack that was at the base of the orange lift is also gone. The lower zip tower and old ticket booth are currently sitting in the Timberline Motel parking lot. Grass seed and hay cover a lot of the mud now.
The zip line company who installed the towers will be coming to remove the metal from the towers.

Attachments

• Timberline zip line upper gone.jpg
    Timberline zip line upper gone.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Timberline zip line lower gone.jpg
    Timberline zip line lower gone.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 62

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
@WV RVA Skier is the base of the Sixpack lower than the old lift? Looks like they still have a lot of dirt left. It is good of them to give the zip line towers back to the zip line tower company.

WV Stonehenge

90F89366-4C02-46BC-80E7-E1ABA7F1B55C.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsor