• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Peak By Bode Miller Skis Discussion Thread

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, soothski has the Peak in the 184 mm length measured at 180. Is that really true?
I've posted that it's short also.
Between 181 and 182 or so, straight pull, maybe, I previously estimated. Closer to 181.
They are substantially shorter than my Peak 104/184 or Peak 98/184.
(With bindings on them, its harder to get it more exactly.)
Next to my Bonafides 180, they appear to be about two cm. longer at most.
(Whatever the Bonafide actual length is.)
They ski a bit short for 184, in most situations.
Not really a problem, seems like.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have not found the 88 poor off piste yet. Maybe it is because I have had a weird season and haven't been able to ski in enough conditions, maybe it is the style if skiing, (more finesse less charge), maybe because I am a lightweight. The one thing for sure is that I found them different and that it took me a while to appreciate them. So, if you decide to buy, give yourself time to figure them out.

I like the 88s enough to consider the 104 to replace an aged Liberty Envy for my powder ski, but I can't justify 2 new pairs in one season and I am concerned by all the comments saying each width of ski is a very different animal.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
@KingGrump

Do you have Peak skis in different widths?

As someone who has tried a lot of different skis, where do you rate Peak in terms of your preference and why? For each width model you have if it applies.

Given the business tactics I'm not inclined to ever want to support them (once I hopefully get off the DL) but I'm curious as I know you've tried many different skis and you seem to like them.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the 88s enough to consider the 104 to replace an aged Liberty Envy for my powder ski,
I am the man you want to see about that! Send me a PM!

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've posted that it's short also.
Between 181 and 182 or so, straight pull, maybe, I previously estimated. Closer to 181.
They are substantially shorter than my Peak 104/184 or Peak 98/184.
(With bindings on them, its harder to get it more exactly.)
Next to my Bonafides 180, they appear to be about two cm. longer at most.
(Whatever the Bonafide actual length is.)
They ski a bit short for 184, in most situations.
Not really a problem, seems like.
Interesting. It's hard to know when Soothski has discovered something and when it's more likely measurement error.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Which length in the Peak 88 (168 vs 176) would you recommend to someone in the East who values maneuverability in tight spaces? For comparison, here are the lengths I used for a two other skis over the last few years:
- Kastle MX83 - 168cm
- Elan Wingman 86CTI - 172cm

Thanks.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
176, They ski a little short ,and are easy to initiate a turn. That's what I have and I am 5' 10 and shrinking , 170 lbs and old, not sure how big you are

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
176, They ski a little short ,and are easy to initiate a turn. That's what I have and I am 5' 10 and shrinking , 170 lbs and old, not sure how big you are
5'10", 165 lbs. Makes sense ... just concerned about maneuverability in tight spots.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
The folks at Peak indicated that the 88's don't ski as short as the wider options.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For reference, I'm 5'6", 160 lbs and have the Peak 104 176cm (I will be posting it in Gear Swap shortly, as a matter of fact). I think it skis really short. I wish I had bought the 184.
+1

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Now that I think of it, I guess I agree with that, about the 88s, based on skiing all but the SCs (side country versions).

But the 88s, at least in 184, are shorter physically than the others, so ski short even if more like their actual length.

I skied the 98/184s today, with 1.5" fresh on top of refreeze. They were fine, once I got used to them again. laying them over a bit.
They very much ski light, even if one compensates for that in the ways I've described in posts.

Whereas a Kendo 88 or older version Brahma 88? Tops for off piste, and great on piste as well.

No way I'd want these, or the other Peaks, if I were skiing them a lot off piste.
(And a bunch of first chair folks I ski with by consensus agree.
Most of them are on the 98/178, but since I'm skiing these mostly on groomers, I'm very glad I got the 98/184s.
A normal carving ski that 184 long would, for me, at least start to kick into GS like ski behavior. Not the Peaks.)

Last edited:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm really sorry, @Tony S.
Wish I'd been able to describe their liabilities well enough for you to avoid that.

Sorry to you to, @salvatore.
No worries! Dating is engaging.

I mean, dating is always engaging, but does not always end in engagement.

And besides ... You're influential, but not THAT influential. I own my follies.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm really sorry, @Tony S.
Wish I'd been able to describe their liabilities well enough for you to avoid that.

Sorry to you to, @salvatore.
No way! I was one of the first to place an order during the initial run and really enjoyed the 104 (and my wife loves her 98s)! In fact, I believe the 104 is an incredible ski and many would be blown away by it's versatility. It has a long radius, but can still be bent into tight turns, and has absolutely no top-end. Ski it on firm, in soft... solid in all conditions.

My only complaint is weight. I've gravitated towards much heavier platforms, as I find them less tiring and easier on my knees.

Sponsor

Staff online