• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve always been in-between their sizing and was optimistic when they added the 4th size to their runs, but I am somehow still in between on the Countach, 178-180 would be great, but that skis comes in 176, 182…

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
173cm tall, 185lbs heavy
Maybe these visual aids will help. 179 cat 108 and 184 dw 104. You can see the actual difference isn’t much. The benefits for sizing up outweighs the cons for sure. You’re talking around an inch and a half.
IMG_5702.jpeg
IMG_5703.jpeg
IMG_5704.jpeg
IMG_5705.jpeg

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
I’ve always been in-between their sizing and was optimistic when they added the 4th size to their runs, but I am somehow still in between on the Countach, 178-180 would be great, but that skis comes in 176, 182…
Are you a hard charger? If so absolutely size up to the 182. If you’re a tad timid then go with the 176. The Countach doesn’t need to be sized up to be fun. It will feel like more ski the longer you go, you’ll give up some playfulness the longer you go on that ski but it will gain more stability at speed especially with the flatter tail.

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
Are you a hard charger? If so absolutely size up to the 182. If you’re a tad timid then go with the 176. The Countach doesn’t need to be sized up to be fun. It will feel like more ski the longer you go, you’ll give up some playfulness the longer you go on that ski but it will gain more stability at speed especially with the flatter tail.
Yea, I'm mainly looking for a crud and chop buster. I just learned about the Commander, looks like I need to do more reading :)

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
Yea, I'm mainly looking for a crud and chop buster. I just learned about the Commander, looks like I need to do more reading :)
I have the last edition of the commander 98. I’ve been looking to demo the 92 from the factory.

very different ski to the dw 104. The commander lineup is a true flat tail directional charger. If you put in the work it will give you the goods. Definitely wants a pilot who’s going to be on it skill wise and doesn’t really have a speed limit. They’re the most “aggressive” skis in the moment line up currently. A little more narrow “working range” conditions wise

The dw104 is going to be a more do it all tool that’s not limited conditions wise because of the triple camber. You’ll have a wider range of usability both in terrain type and conditions with the dw.

I definitely find myself pulling the wishes out, 104 most and 112 more than the commander 98’s.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just waxed my Countachs for the first time and the iron was scraping the edges hard. I checked the base level and they are super railed (edge high). Never had a factory tune this bad. Wondering if I should contact Moment or just get them tuned?

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
I just waxed my Countachs for the first time and the iron was scraping the edges hard. I checked the base level and they are super railed (edge high). Never had a factory tune this bad. Wondering if I should contact Moment or just get them tuned?
I’d reach out to moment first.

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
I have the last edition of the commander 98. I’ve been looking to demo the 92 from the factory.

very different ski to the dw 104. The commander lineup is a true flat tail directional charger. If you put in the work it will give you the goods. Definitely wants a pilot who’s going to be on it skill wise and doesn’t really have a speed limit. They’re the most “aggressive” skis in the moment line up currently. A little more narrow “working range” conditions wise

The dw104 is going to be a more do it all tool that’s not limited conditions wise because of the triple camber. You’ll have a wider range of usability both in terrain type and conditions with the dw.

I definitely find myself pulling the wishes out, 104 most and 112 more than the commander 98’s.
Thanks for the insight, I've been researching suitable replacements for my Ranger 107ti (also 2 sheets of metal), the Commander series is now on my radar.

I already own surfier wide skis, but triple camber is such an interesting concept on the DW, I wonder why isn't it more commonly use by other brands?

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the insight, I've been researching suitable replacements for my Ranger 107ti (also 2 sheets of metal), the Commander series is now on my radar.

I already own surfier wide skis, but triple camber is such an interesting concept on the DW, I wonder why isn't it more commonly use by other brands?
That 104dw is calling your name then lol.
Commander 102 would be a nice option to replace the 107ti unless you’re lucky and can score a commander 108 somewhere.

triple camber was moments innovation to the industry so not surprising you don’t see others trying to copy it.

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
That 104dw is calling your name then lol.
Commander 102 would be a nice option to replace the 107ti unless you’re lucky and can score a commander 108 somewhere.

triple camber was moments innovation to the industry so not surprising you don’t see others trying to copy it.
Oh I see the Commando 108 is not in stock on the Moment website, must be a popular ski

TahoeRover

Booting up
Skier
Oh I see the Commando 108 is not in stock on the Moment website, must be a popular ski
This year they changed from 98/108 to 92/102. I have 98s and love them, probably going to ditch my SR88 and replace with Commander 92s

You might be able to find new 108s floating around online

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
That is neither the DW104 or the DW.

Wildcat, yes. Chipotle Banana, hell yes.
Have to disagree with you here. The dw 104 with the stiffer beech/poplar core handles crud and chop with ease. I happily find myself grabbing it for med/low tide days when things start getting chopped up and skied out.

the 112 dw also handles chop and crud well too. Not as well as the 104 but still good. It’s literally right there in the description for the DW. While the 112 does get pushed around more than the 104 they both are great options for variable conditions including crud and chop.

there are better options like the Countach but to say the DW series can’t busy crud or chop is just flat out wrong. I’ve never had issues with either of my pairs in those conditions.

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
ya as mentioned moment changed the skis widths and profiles this year. That’s why I was saying you’d need to score the 108 somewhere else. Do you prefer flat tailed skis?

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
That is neither the DW104 or the DW.

Wildcat, yes. Chipotle Banana, hell yes.
I would say they (DW104) do decently in soft chop, but no where no as good as the Chipotle Banana. If you are looking for pure mad speed through chop and crud, get something like the M102, Bibby/Fatcat, Black Ops, Chipotle Banana, or anything from heritage labs :ogbiggrin:

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have to disagree with you here. The dw 104 with the stiffer beech/poplar core handles crud and chop with ease. I happily find myself grabbing it for med/low tide days when things start getting chopped up and skied out.

the 112 dw also handles chop and crud well too. Not as well as the 104 but still good. It’s literally right there in the description for the DW. While the 112 does get pushed around more than the 104 they both are great options for variable conditions including crud and chop.

there are better options like the Countach but to say the DW series can’t busy crud or chop is just flat out wrong. I’ve never had issues with either of my pairs in those conditions.
I would say they (DW104) do decently in soft chop, but no where no as good as the Chipotle Banana. If you are looking for pure mad speed through chop and crud, get something like the M102, Bibby/Fatcat, Black Ops, Chipotle Banana, or anything from heritage labs :ogbiggrin:
I can cut my steak with a butter knife, but it's not the best tool for the job.

If you said to me, "I want to grab something from Moment, and I want 'a chop and crud buster,'" the DW series would probably be last in order of precedence from Moment. Chop? Wildcat. Deep chop? CB. Crud? Commanders. Something in the middle that covers all the bases? Countach. I'd probably even rank the Meridian higher with its stiff profile.

I also agree with Kevin, having owned an M102, CB, and HL. Those are chop/crud busters. Low tide days, even with the stiffer core, the DW104 is going to pale in comparison to something like an M102, or even better, the FL105 (which is on another level!). I was just skiing in those conditions two weeks ago, and the two skis I had with me were my Countach and my FL105. After an hour or so on the CT, I switched over to the FL105 because it was night/day the way it just decimated everything in its path. No comparison.

Of course, we are talking quivers here, and that is what it sounds like @Magikarp has. if you wanted one ski for everything, sure you could get away with a DW104 (I'd say the FL105 would be better as one ring to rule them all, but...) and ski it in all conditions. But what fun is that?:)

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
I can cut my steak with a butter knife, but it's not the best tool for the job.

If you said to me, "I want to grab something from Moment, and I want 'a chop and crud buster,'" the DW series would probably be last in order of precedence from Moment. Chop? Wildcat. Deep chop? CB. Crud? Commanders. Something in the middle that covers all the bases? Countach. I'd probably even rank the Meridian higher with its stiff profile.

I also agree with Kevin, having owned an M102, CB, and HL. Those are chop/crud busters. Low tide days, even with the stiffer core, the DW104 is going to pale in comparison to something like an M102, or even better, the FL105 (which is on another level!). I was just skiing in those conditions two weeks ago, and the two skis I had with me were my Countach and my FL105. After an hour or so on the CT, I switched over to the FL105 because it was night/day the way it just decimated everything in its path. No comparison.

Of course, we are talking quivers here, and that is what it sounds like @Magikarp has. if you wanted one ski for everything, sure you could get away with a DW104 (I'd say the FL105 would be better as one ring to rule them all, but...) and ski it in all conditions. But what fun is that?:)
Maybe you need to spend some time on death wishes, specifically the 104. It seems you’re not actually familiar with their on snow performance.

I own the cat 108, 118, commander 98, wish 104 and 112 and meridians. Have spent over two weeks on the Countach 188 and about a week on 193 bananas.

you have a very wrong impression of the deathwish line up. You’re acting like they’re some soft noodles that can’t handle rough conditions when you just couldn’t be farther from the truth.

there is always something bigger and better. We weren’t comparing moments to other skis. We were comparing moments to moments.

there is not a big difference between the cat and wish especially with the cats using a softer core. Just wider wood stingers in the cores. Even my 118 while good aren’t night and day better, and if I was on a 190 dw comparable to my 190 cat the difference would be even less.

Comparing the banana to wish 104 is just laughable. They arent made for the same usage period.

Fair comparison is wish vs cat. Which in that case the difference is very minimal. The 104 wish handles crud and chop better than the 108 cat. 112 wish is on par with the 116 cat but not as good as the 118 cat. I’ve actually skied or owned all of these so I’m not just giving an opinion based off descriptions online.

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
I guess we just disagree.
Curious how many days you have on the deathwish line up in crud and chop? 104 or 112?

just got back from another 14 days with both of mine at Breck and they absolutely slayed with the 104 always coming out on top in the conditions. the last 10 days were just chopped up crud from a powder storm so conditions were ripe for triple camber.

Sponsor

Staff online