• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The lost art of ski ballet

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
One of the women from NBC sought out ex-ballet skiers last year to learn more about ballet skiing (and its demise).

This feature includes old footage as well as recent interviews from several World Cup skiers.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/lost-art-ski-ballet

In this clip, Hannah Kearney explains the crossover between ballet skiing and mogul skiing and how she even used her ballet experiences in her mogul run at Sochi to earn the Bronze medal.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/hannah-kearney-credits-ski-ballet-her-gold-medal

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ski ballet along with some other snow sliding experiments are best forgotten. Olin used to make a ski ballet specific ski that was orange back in the day. Some used to call ski ballet "fruit booting", but there were some really good skiers that show cased their skills.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ski ballet along with some other snow sliding experiments are best forgotten. Olin used to make a ski ballet specific ski that was orange back in the day. Some used to call ski ballet "fruit booting", but there were some really good skiers that show cased their skills.
While I'm not a fan, it does take some skill and strength to execute. It was like watching paint dry.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ski ballet was always a bit like ice dancing to me: smooth athleticism that would be fun to have a few moves on the slopes or at the rink. Maybe we should take up a collection and buy Eric a pair of vintage orange Olin ballet skis?

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ski ballet continues to be a big part of downhill. When athletes get bored turning left and right around colored plastic poles, they will throw in a few classic ballet moves on the way to the net. However, these moves are rarely practiced to perfection and tend to seem ragdoll-like when compared to the smooth, perfected moves of the 80s and 90s.

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ski ballet continues to be a big part of downhill. When athletes get bored turning left and right around colored plastic poles, they will throw in a few classic ballet moves on the way to the net. However, these moves are rarely practiced to perfection and tend to seem ragdoll-like when compared to the smooth, perfected moves of the 80s and 90s.

Ballet is also a popular stunt in GS. Here is Ralves copying Mosley's move at 40 mph.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Actually, rollerblading is still commonly called "fruit booting".

There were at least five very large ski vendors who put out a ballet specific ski..
Hart Ballet
Kneisel Acrobat
K2 Ballet
Olin Ballet
Rossignol Ballet

I hated skiing ballet.. mostly because it was really difficult and it hurts way worse to fall when skiing slowly on flat pitch than it does to go down going faster on steeper terrain. The combined scores pretty much made some ballet required for anyone who wanted to qualify for nationals. The best skiers I knew and competed against were also very good at ballet. I wasn't one of them.

TS
Karen_skier2.0

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Add Kastle to the list.

WIth ballet, you knew your edges and how to work on a flat ski. You knew balance and how to keep in total control on one ski. Even if you don't like the whole package of a routine put together to music, the jumps and flips are precursors to much of today's freeskiing.

I remember getting a windsurfing lesson when I was about 13. I told the guy I was a freestyle skier and he didn't think that would help at all with balance and he said he knew what ballet skiing was. We went from a quiet lake to Cape Cod in a couple of hours to try out my new skills. He told me that I had the best balance and progression he had ever seen and he had coached his sister to a world championship. Ballet skiing definitely has transferable skills that can help in other aspects of skiing.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Actually, rollerblading is still commonly called "fruit booting".

"There were at least five very large ski vendors who put out a ballet specific ski..
Hart Ballet
Kneisel Acrobat
K2 Ballet
Olin Ballet
Rossignol Ballet"

I hated skiing ballet.. mostly because it was really difficult and it hurts way worse to fall when skiing slowly on flat pitch than it does to go down going faster on steeper terrain. The combined scores pretty much made some ballet required for anyone who wanted to qualify for nationals. The best skiers I knew and competed against were also very good at ballet. I wasn't one of them.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ballet skis:
Olin Ballet
K2 244 Ballet
Hart Ballet
The Ski (puppet/the ballet ski)
Rossignol Ballet
Dynastar Ballet
Blizzard Acrobatique
Kastle Ballet
Am I forgetting anyone?
My personal favorites ,which I owned, were the "Puppets" and the K2's although the Olins and Harts were much more commonly used and well thought of.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I remember selling the Rossignol Ballet, it looked like the CM, EM, & FM skis only Green and White. It also flexed a lot like the Rossi CM Jr. ski.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Ballet skis:
Olin Ballet
K2 244 Ballet
Hart Ballet
The Ski (puppet/the ballet ski)
Rossignol Ballet
Dynastar Ballet
Blizzard Acrobatique
Kastle Ballet
Am I forgetting anyone?
My personal favorites ,which I owned, were the "Puppets" and the K2's although the Olins and Harts were much more commonly used and well thought of.
"The Ski" Ballet was the TSD model and Volkl had a Ballet Ski in the early 80's

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
"The Ski" Ballet was the TSD model and Volkl had a Ballet Ski in the early 80's

Reminds me I have 2 pair Volkl Ballets and looks like I have not posted pictures. One pair has a full groove so may even be mid 70s. And Kneissl had an actual Ballet ski not the Acrobat.

Sponsor

Staff online