• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The life of a coffee grinder

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think our coffee grinder is dying,

After reading a post by Ron from an old thread I thought....

"Fair view" espresso in steamboat springs makes a supreme latte. (That's my house).

Hmmm instead of just buying a new coffee grinder, I should get some advice and see if there is something better out there that we should consider.

Backstory.
We received a Capresso coffee grinder for a wedding gift from @Noofus and @Luvbug in 2012. We quickly fell in love with fresh ground coffee and bought a second one to take with us on our ski trips if we're staying in a ski house. We also have a pourover set up to make coffee.
Photo of our set up at home.
IMG_9031.jpeg

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Been using a Baratza Virtuoso for years. It's been a high maintenance appliance. Thankfully they sell all the parts on their website with complete directions on how to fix and diagnose these things because I've had to replace motors, switches and some other parts.

James

Out There
Instructor
Another hand one that was developed by a guy who used to rebuild espresso machines. 48mm Swiss Burrs. The catch can is now stainless. The grinder isn’t light. This one isn’t really for espresso either, there’s other Orphans. Btw, I’m amazed at the explosion of hand grinders from a few years ago.

This one is relatively nee. Bit different, not for espresso. It’s tough to evaluate some of the reviews. About $300. Single batch, up to about 90 gms.
8F842700-EBE5-4D43-969A-D29F41ABE356.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
If you're ready to go into a deep hole, check out James Hoffman's youtbue channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMb0O2CdPBNi-QqPk5T3gsQ

If you want a reasonably priced, long-lived grinder with easily sourced, user-replaceable parts buy a Baratza Encore: https://baratza.com/grinder/encore/ . Though its "entry-level" it's a step up from the capresso setup and will work for any type of coffee except espresso.

Baratza's make great grinders for drip and press. Both, the Encore or virtuoso are very good grinders. They can even do a decent job on espresso.

GRINDER TIP: the grinder burrs need to be cleaned about every 6 months or whenever you hear a change in tone or notice the grinds are "off". They gum-up with the coffee oils. this is especially true with espresso.

@Tricia

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Yet another reason I need to go up to @Ron 's place..... At least now I know I can just bring him a bag from one of the very good roasters in Denver.

• Love
Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Never a good sign when no price is specified.

I bought mine about 15 years ago.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Yet another reason I need to go up to @Ron 's place..... At least now I know I can just bring him a bag from one of the very good roasters in Denver.
Dragonfly or Corvus? I use Corvus Dead Reckoning as my daily espresso bean.. this is an excellent blend. I pull at 201*, 18/36 for 28-30 seconds.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Baratza's make great grinders for drip and press. Both, the Encore or virtuoso are very good grinders. They can even do a decent job on espresso.

GRINDER TIP: the grinder burrs need to be cleaned about every 6 months or whenever you hear a change in tone or notice the grinds are "off". They gum-up with the coffee oils. this is especially true with espresso.

@Tricia
I do clean it regularly, but this time it changed noise pitch and is not improving with cleaning.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I currently just have a manual grinder as I sent my mother my Encore since I was tired of drinking crappy coffee on vacation. Making myself grind for each brew helps limit my caffeine intake that got a bit out of control during initial COVID times. Herbal "teas" (especially fond of roasted barley) helps when I want to drink something but have hit my daily limit.

Dragonfly or Corvus? I use Corvus Dead Reckoning as my daily espresso bean.. this is an excellent blend. I pull at 201*, 18/36 for 28-30 seconds.

Love both, but brew mostly with beans from the closest roaster to me -- https://huckleberryroasters.com/ . No espresso at home -- I prefer infusion brews so its either Aeropress or Clever dripper when it's just me (e.g. most of the time) or my massive french press when camping/sharing.

Sponsor