• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
09D1C8C8-82E1-4821-9DA4-AB223774B0D0.jpeg

Thank you DPS for a great showing bringing three dozen skis now our members can post their thoughts on the skis and their reviews.

So. In your review, please add what you liked about the ski...what you didn’t like... Who you think the ski is for… Who you think the ski is not for…

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was not at the Demo, but we skied on our Phantomized skis for the first time yesterday. They were amazing. @Mrs. 53 was a much better barometer than I am she was ripping it up with over 22,000’ vertical before lunch and never had an issue following @Lorenzzo the whole time. As for me, mine felt great and essentially just like typical waxed skis.

Thanks DPS for all of your amazing help during the process

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am looking for a narrower ski (mid 80mms). Lvl 8 skier, 215lbs. My home mountain is snowbasin and I like a ski that can go fast back to the lift. I usually ski a head monster 98 184 when its high pressure for a while.

Cassiar 87 alchemist 184

This 87 seems like a narrow mixed snow ski more than a frontside or all arounder. It is light and had an easy smooth feel in the bumps. The tip is soft and absorbs terrain well without feeling hooky and the ski feels tuned for smooth predictable and well mannered behavior in crud at a variety of speeds. The ski is torsionally very stiff, holding an edge very well at speed. So its a good for cruising back to the lift.

On piste the ski seems to have slow turn initiation and requires significant input to get past the vague feeling getting on edge. It also did not seem to have much pop coming out of the turn. It almost felt like the tips and tails were aggressively detuned, not sure if that was the case or not.

This is a very practical ski that works well for real world conditions and I think many pugskiers will appreciate having this in their bag on a trip especially in the afternoon on day 5 which was when I skied it. I think its more well suited for a normal sized skier who skis at normal recreational speeds. This skier sees groomers as transportation between "fun" off piste lines and likely this skier already has a wider ski for deeper snow days.

Its not for someone who is trying to appreciate the occasional groomer run as an end unto its self and it certainly is not a precise feeling ski at least not in the configuration I recieved.

Cassiar 82 Foundation 184

The 82 is a fun and well balanced all around narrow ski. When I choose a non-metal narrow ski this is the feel that I expect to get. The tips are stiffer and engage nicely - not too quick but not too slow. The ski has some life and energy at the end of a turn. I felt myself inspired to ski the groomers with more zest where as the 87s just wanted to cruise. In moguls as the tips are driven down the backside of the bump the ski gives good feedback as the tips engage. The 87 seemed more automatic like it was auto-correcting any mistakes I was making. This one doesn't do that but its still fun to ski in the bumps, maybe more fun than the 87. In the skied out conditions the ski did well carrying speed through the chalky crud and run out and back to the lift.

The 184 was enough ski for me. I think this is for the skier who wants a ski that works well off trial when the snow is not fresh and also is fun on trail on any but the most icy of days.

I am not sure who its not for - maybe me since I haven't bought one yet.

I think the difference in the cores was, the foundation was more lively feeling and the alchemist felt more smooth and was torsionally stiffer.

In the end I found that the Cassiar 87 was everything I asked for but not what I really expected. While the 82 was exactly what I expected but still not quite what I wanted either. I think I need to demo more and see what else is out there.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug how about a model and length cheat sheet. It might help given the number of people I heard saying things like "I really liked the green ones."

I tried to take photos of each ski I tried, but had already skied a couple before it occurred to me .

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug how about a model and length cheat sheet. It might help given the number of people I heard saying things like "I really liked the green ones."

I tried to take photos of each ski I tried, but had already skied a couple before it occurred to me .

From Memory:

Foundation:
Cassiar 82 (gray/gray), 165, 178, 184
Cassiar 87 (red/silver) 165, 178, 184
Cassiar 94 (green/green) 165, 178, 184
Wailer 106 (blue/blue) 178, 185
Wailer 112 (yellow/orange) 178
Uschi 82 (blue/yellow) 165
Uschi 94 (burg/yellow) 165

Alchemist:
Trainer 79 (blue) 158, 167
Cassiar 82 (gray), 165, 178, 184
Cassiar 87 (red) 165, 178, 184
Cassiar 94 (green) 165, 178, 184
Wailer 106 (blue) 178, 185
Uschi 82 (blue) 165
Uschi 87 ??
Uschi 94 (burg/yellow) 165

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I demoed 3 DPS skis at Alta, and I’ll try my best to relay my impressions here.

I first tried the Wailer 106 Foundation in a 178. ( Blue color). Conditions by Thursday weren’t quite appropriate for a 106 underfoot, but I wanted to give them a go, and was excited to try DPS.

Me? 5’10” female, 170 lbs, level 8 skier who prefers off piste but still struggles with technique there.

The Wailer 106 felt smooth and powerful, with good edge hold, and its ease of turning belied the 106mm underfoot waist width. I felt some nice energy out of the turn and could see how this ski would be fun for a strong, confident skier. For me, in the few bumps I took it in, it felt a bit unwieldy and I need something friendlier.

Next up was the Wailer 106 Alchemist in a 106. This ski was a gorgeous metallic purple...I think next season’s color. @Magi was with me and encouraged a narrower choice, but I really wanted a true back to back comparison between the Foundation and the Alchemist series, so I wanted to keep the dimensions the same. I only skied one run...the Alchemist version was instantly lighter, poppier, and more nimble in feel. There was increased snow feel underfoot, but not so much to be unnerving. Edge hold felt as secure as the Foundation 106. The Alchemist absorbed terrain nicely, but one ski felt a little hooky, and I caught an edge and flipped in a small gulley on the way back to the lift.....I prefer to think it was the tune on the ski. :)

Next up was the Alchemist Cassiar 82 in a 184. (Gray). I would have chosen the 178, but that was out. I spent the most amount of time on this ski, since it was perfect for the day’s conditions. The ski was very light, with a lively feel, and it seemed easier to make big GS turns rather than short slalom turns, but this could’ve been due to the length. However, I felt well-balanced on this ski and edgehold was good in the chalky snow. I ended up spending a few hours with Magi working on improving technique, and these skis were a great tool for that. A good bump skier would really enjoy this ski.

I’m not sure how the 82 in the Alchemist construction would feel in harder, chunkier East Coast conditions, but it seemed like a perfect narrower ski choice for Western skiing and I’d buy it in a heartbeat for that.

The Cassiar 82 Alchemist favors a finesse skier, I think, or someone like me who needs a confidence-inspiring ski for working on off piste skills,

I didn’t get to try the Wailer 99 Alchemist, but that ski seems like it might be a perfect one ski Western choice for someone like me.

I wish I had more time to try more skis. As it was, @Tricia had to remind me at lunch to return them on time, and I think I was one of the last few to get back to the DPS tent. :)

Thanks to @Philpug and the DPS guys for bringing out their cache of demo skis. Out of curiosity, I stopped in the one shop at Alta that demos DPS and they had no ski in an appropriate length available for me.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Next up was the Wailer 106 Alchemist in a 106. This ski was a gorgeous metallic purple...I think next season’s color.
Actually the Purple version is the Zelda 106, which is the women's version. I don't believe there is any difference in construction other than the purple graphics.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The DPS demo was very fun - not least because other Pugs kept cycling through the tent and it was nice to be able to compare notes and get suggestions. On the down side, snow conditions that morning were, um, on the firm side, so off-piste testing was in some ways more about the skier than the skis. I chose not to go there except briefly, just to see how the skis handled the challenge. Since DPS has been known historically for its soft-snow designs, this was too bad.

I'll just cut to the chase and say that the ski that had me giggling all the way down the hill was DPS's new 79mm foray into slalom skis. Even before I learned it was called "The Trainer" I was thinking, "This is the perfect ski for someone who wants to learn how to ski arc-to-arc and has had trouble getting there." Seriously, if you can't figure it out on this ski, you need a new coach. The Trainer uses the new light and torsionally stiff "Alchemist" construction. (I don't believe it comes in a Foundation build.) I was on the 167cm length. For a "real" slalom ski, this might be considered on the long side for someone 135lb and 5' 7". In the case of the Trainer, it wasn't.

On snow it took me half a dozen turns to find the engagement point. I was expecting instant hookup and didn't get it; the ski has a bit of early rise. However, I quickly found the sweet spot and was off to the races. The remarkable thing about this ski is how ridiculously easily it bends into an arc without losing its edge. No other carving ski I've ever been on requires so little patience or speed before the skier is locked into a clean railroad-track turn. It's this that makes it the perfect teacher ski. (For that matter, it would probably make an excellent teachiING ski as well. Instructors take note!) In the forgiving corduroy we had at Alta that day, it seemed quiet and damp enough. Hard to say how it would be on actual east-coast ice. :huh: I suspect I might want the metal back, in that case, but then I'd lose a lot of what makes this ski unique.

High-frequency slalom-style retraction turns were its natural preference. It feels much narrower than its 79mm spec would suggest - it's very quick edge to edge. Never did I think, "why did they make it so wide?" It was also fine in bigger arcs at speed, as long as no sudden goofy moves were made. I briefly took it into some of the chalky set-up bumps. In that environment the lively construction and edgy behavior were not reassuring. In fairness, later trips into the same pitch with other skis, including my own, were not exactly a barrel of laughs either. The only quibble I have with this ski is that I did manage to max it out when really pushing to tighten-up the arc in the second half of the turn. Twice I hit an unnerving kind of abrupt bottom-out in that circumstance. After that I was careful to be a little smoother in my pressuring and was back to full-time giggling. ogsmile I. would buy this ski in a heartbeat for teaching, taking an exam, or as my groomer ski for a smaller hill in the west. Super super fun.
  • Who's it for? Good skiers who want to add race turns to their repertoire without stepping up to a full-on slalom ski - maybe folks who are a little lighter, older, or less fit than they once were, but are sensitive to good technique and want to add honest-to-goodness carving to their toolbox.
  • Who is it not for? Big guys. You will fold this thing like a dinner napkin.
  • Insider tip: Don't buy it too short. It's not REALLY a slalom ski, it just helps you ski like a slalom skier. ogwink

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The DPS demo was very fun - not least because other Pugs kept cycling through the tent and it was nice to be able to compare notes and get suggestions. On the down side, snow conditions that morning were, um, on the firm side, so off-piste testing was in some ways more about the skier than the skis. I chose not to go there except briefly, just to see how the skis handled the challenge. Since DPS has been known historically for its soft-snow designs, this was too bad.

I'll just cut to the chase and say that the ski that had me giggling all the way down the hill was DPS's new 79mm foray into slalom skis. Even before I learned it was called "The Trainer" I was thinking, "This is the perfect ski for someone who wants to learn how to ski arc-to-arc and has had trouble getting there." Seriously, if you can't figure it out on this ski, you need a new coach. The Trainer uses the new light and torsionally stiff "Alchemist" construction. (I don't believe it comes in a Foundation build.) I was on the 167cm length. For a "real" slalom ski, this might be considered on the long side for someone 135lb and 5' 7". In the case of the Trainer, it wasn't.

On snow it took me half a dozen turns to find the engagement point. I was expecting instant hookup and didn't get it; the ski has a bit of early rise. However, I quickly found the sweet spot and was off to the races. The remarkable thing about this ski is how ridiculously easily it bends into an arc without losing its edge. No other carving ski I've ever been on requires so little patience or speed before the skier is locked into a clean railroad-track turn. It's this that makes it the perfect teacher ski. (For that matter, it would probably make an excellent teachiING ski as well. Instructors take note!) In the forgiving corduroy we had at Alta that day, it seemed quiet and damp enough. Hard to say how it would be on actual east-coast ice. :huh: I suspect I might want the metal back, in that case, but then I'd lose a lot of what makes this ski unique.

High-frequency slalom-style retraction turns were its natural preference. It feels much narrower than its 79mm spec would suggest - it's very quick edge to edge. Never did I think, "why did they make it so wide?" It was also fine in bigger arcs at speed, as long as no sudden goofy moves were made. I briefly took it into some of the chalky set-up bumps. In that environment the lively construction and edgy behavior were not reassuring. In fairness, later trips into the same pitch with other skis, including my own, were not exactly a barrel of laughs either. The only quibble I have with this ski is that I did manage to max it out when really pushing to tighten-up the arc in the second half of the turn. Twice I hit an unnerving kind of abrupt bottom-out in that circumstance. After that I was careful to be a little smoother in my pressuring and was back to full-time giggling. ogsmile I. would buy this ski in a heartbeat for teaching, taking an exam, or as my groomer ski for a smaller hill in the west. Super super fun.

Who's it for? Good skiers who want to add race turns to their repertoire without stepping up to a full-on slalom ski - maybe folks who are a little lighter, older, or less fit than they once were, but are sensitive to good technique and want to add honest-to-goodness carving to their toolbox.

Who is it not for? Big guys. You will fold this thing like a dinner napkin.

Insider tip: Don't buy it too short. It's not REALLY a slalom ski, it just helps you ski like a slalom skier. ogwink

Thanks for your description! I almost took this ski out in the same length, and I believe you were there when I instead got on the 82 Cassiar Alchemist (and you took the Trainer). Wish there were more hours in the day to get on the Trainer.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I instead got on the 82 Cassiar Alchemist

I didn't try that one. I did ski the 87, which was not at all like a "big brother" to the Trainer. Much stiffer. To me it felt like a wide GS. My thought was, "try this in the Foundation construction," which feels damper and softer, according to the DPS guy. Didn't get to do that.

The third ski I got on was @Pumba 's Cassiar 94 Foundation. (We are boot sole buddies.) I liked that quite a lot, but her 165 was too short for me, I think.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not surprised, @SkiNurse has been skiing that one, and it should be too long for her (but isn't).
DPS is currently building "The Trainor" in two lengths, 158 and 167 because they want a slalom-like ski and there was no intention of offering anything longer. While I have taken out our 167, it is Tricia that adopted the sk for her own, when ideally DPS wanted her ideally on the 158. After numerous requests (see: begging) DPS is now strongly considering offering this ski in a 174. I hope they do. Stephan being the perfectionist that he is, I doubt we will see one in the next week or two because he is so adimanent on getting the ski right and it is not just a matter of making a larger mold, he will want to make sure the flex and everything else is proportionate.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
DPS is currently building "The Trainor" in two lengths, 158 and 167 because they want a slalom-like ski and there was no intention of offering anything longer. While I have taken out our 167, it is Tricia that adopted the sk for her own, when ideally DPS wanted her ideally on the 158. After numerous requests (see: begging) DPS is now strongly considering offering this ski in a 174. I hope they do. Stephan being the perfectionist that he is, I doubt we will see one in the next week or two because he is so adimanent on getting the ski right and it is not just a matter of making a larger mold, he will want to make sure the flex and everything else is proportionate.

Oops, sorry I meant the Cassiar 94.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Of the wider DPS skis, the Wailer 106 ($$$ carbon one) is my fav... Much more traditionally shaped, the tip hooks up well without being hooky. Big, fast turns on untracked powder and slightly wind crusted down lower were awesomely fun... stable, accurate, etc... They tipped and ripped on groomers, but need to be skied with cuff pressure and moving forward with them... no standing on'em and just cruising on firm corduroy if you want to arc like you mean it. You lead the dance if you want them to perform. Mixed crud, fine! I could own a pair. Money for any venue with required long, skating/side stepping traverses. That said, all the 5 point design (99mm and up), I just don't dig much.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought the DPS guy said the Trainor was 160 and 167, not 158? @Unpiste skied both lengths.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought the DPS guy said the Trainor was 160 and 167, not 158? @Unpiste skied both lengths.
You are correct...I just checked,,,,160 and 167...which makes sense, with the next size coming will be a 174...sizing on the 7's.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I tested a lot of skis, but did a mediocre job of keeping track of what I skied and what I thought. I do have a few points to make, though. As a general observation I will note that all of the DPS skis had fantastic edge hold. I tried to reproduce my test track on my own skis, and the edges broke free and skidded when the DPS held. But is it the skis or the tune? My tune was something like 6 days old by then.

As for the "slalom" ski @Tony S reviewed -- I realise now that i screwed up. I made the same turns as on the other skis and never tried to make slalom turns! :doh:

20180308_153000.jpg

They were fun to ski, and had good edge hold, but so did all of them. I found the 167 very stable for me (5'10", 210 pounds) at speed. I forgot to try to make really short turns, so I don't know if they would fold as Tony warns. In contrast to Tony, I found them to be excellent bump skis, at least in the abbreviated test I gave them (that ledgy bump sequence in the gully near the bottom).

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My standard test track was to go up the Collins lift and take the obvious groomer down. Shortly after the top, there is a roll-over. If you stay in the middle of the trail, the back of the roll-over is very steep and a bit scraped off. (Downright "icy" by Utah standards.) I would try to make turns at speed on that steep bit, coming all the way perpendicular to the fall line.

Then I'd ski all the way down on the groomer, varying turn radius and making a big edge-locked swoop where the trail turns. At the bottom there are a couple options. If I was feeling good about the skis and myself, I would take them into the previously mentioned end gully with the ledgy bumps.

For a few skis, I toook them for a second run that went a little way out the High-Traverse and dropped into Sun Spot. That provides a couple of pitches with real moguls. After that there is a flat bit and then my stability test. That test is a low-angle pitch with small bump-lets, maybe a foot or so tall. The test is to make big "GS" turns ignoring the bumps and see if the skis like it. After that, the trail flows into a bowl with more bumps and then down to the bottom.

My favorite was the Wailer 99 in the Foundation construction. (Does it exis in Achimest?).
20180308_161550.jpg

I didn't record the length, but it was 180-something. (Oh wait, it is in the photo - 184)
Wow, what a ski! Tons of edge hold. Able to to crank big turns on ice (modulo Utah definitions). Stable in chop or ignored bumplets. Even good in the bump gully at the bottom.

The color balance is way off in this photo. The ski is orange.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online