• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The dreaded nail in the shoulder blocks

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ehh, plug it and keep rolling. I usually get a couple of years out of a plug before I have to replug it or the tire is worn out. I have a plug kit and inflator in every one of our cars so it's not really a huge deal to take care of again.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ehh, plug it and keep rolling. I usually get a couple of years out of a plug before I have to replug it or the tire is worn out. I have a plug kit and inflator in every one of our cars so it's not really a huge deal to take care of again.

Agreed. The idea that a plug isn't permanent probably held water in the past, but with modern tires and plug systems, I've run two in run-flat tires until the tire was ready for recycling.

RELATED: Why is that I only get (small) leaks in the uber-expensive run-flat tires? I always switch to regular tires anyway, but still.....

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I got a nail in the shoulder on a road trip. I put a plug in it and drove it another 10K or so miles until the tire wore out.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My car? Plug it.. Wife or daughter's car? New tires..

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'll do that as a temporary fix but my local go to tire shop does a proper off the rim vulcanized patch with a rebalance for $15. If I didn't have that option I'd plug it and roll.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My car? Plug it.. Wife or daughter's car? New tires..
True words. Wife knows how to change a tire and has done it roadside while wearing a dress. Which is a notable detail because she is not usually a dress wearing kind of person, so of course she would get a flat on the one day she decided to wear a dress. Went to get it patched and found out that the tire had actually delaminated internally, she got a new set of 4 after that. Now that she's got our new Forester Wilderness with a full size spare, i still have a plug kit in there but it's much less of a worry since she's got a full sized spare.

Sponsor

Staff online