• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The dreaded nail in the shoulder blocks

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
1695342868777.png

As it's not recommended to patch/plug in that area. So, after 47,000 miles on the Michelin CrossClimate2, time for new 3-season tires.

Costco has to order tires, which takes too long according to the website... for Michelin X-tour A/S-2 (which would be out of the sale pricing)

So, the local chain shop has the Nokian Tyres ONE, and gets in quicker and less expensive

1695343097645.png

1695343151117.png

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would have thought that it was far enough from the edge that it could be plugged

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Could be worse - a screw in the sidewall, which apparently is what happens when someone doesn't like you and/or your car.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've put plugs there dozens of times, and never had any issues.

Same (well, only two or borderline three times).

Or couldn't that be patched from the inside?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw the thread title and assumed it was about PT!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It can 99.9999% be successfully patched on the inside if anyone thinks the plug is risky. Bigger issue is 47K is pushing the envelope for any ski trip vehicle tire. I'd tell them to patch it (at my own risk) if it was still down around 30K or less. I'd be replacing all the tires on a ski vehicle at or before 50K anyway. There's hardly any depth left in the siping on that tire. The siping is what gives you traction on ice.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It can 99.9999% be successfully patched on the inside if anyone thinks the plug is risky. Bigger issue is 47K is pushing the envelope for any ski trip vehicle tire. I'd tell them to patch it (at my own risk) if it was still down around 30K or less. I'd be replacing all the tires on a ski vehicle at or before 50K anyway. There's hardly any depth left in the siping on that tire. The siping is what gives you traction on ice.
And even if they're low wear, how many years of hardness?? Five years, Chuck em..

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Count your blessings that this is just a minor inconvenience and not something like a severe blowout with damage or needing a tow; or a nail in a brand new tire you just put on.

Anyway, sounds like you're probably already got it resolved, but I think you could've limped along with a temporary repair (or full size spare?) for a few days until the specific tires you wanted came in, or at least the rest of summer/fall if you wanted to wait for a sale and have fresh tires for winter.

On costco, if you were hitting up to a sale deadline, I think you could've worked with costco to get you the discount based on EITHER the purchase date or the delivery date, if the savings was that substantial...the screenshot seems to be ready for you to check out with the discount.

My last 2 cents if we're shooting the breeze; even though it has 5years, 47k miles and a potential patch;
I think the 5year old worn CC2s would outperform the OP's new 3season choices (Nokian One or Tour A/S) for skiing conditions. One of the biggest selling points of the CC2 is it provided winter traction via the deep V grooves and would still perform even when worn...there was some article and youtube confirming this. On the CC2, siping was always minimal so it never had great ice traction to begin with; but still better than a non-3pmsf tire just from the compound.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I always like it when I either wear out or trash a tire right before snow hits. Then I know I have a good new set, or at least two or four on my dually.

TS
S

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
My last 2 cents if we're shooting the breeze; even though it has 5years, 47k miles and a potential patch;
I think the 5year old worn CC2s would outperform the OP's new 3season choices (Nokian One or Tour A/S) for skiing conditions. One of the biggest selling points of the CC2 is it provided winter traction via the deep V grooves and would still perform even when worn...there was some article and youtube confirming this. On the CC2, siping was always minimal so it never had great ice traction to begin with; but still better than a non-3pmsf tire just from the compound.
I got Nokian Hakka 9's also, so, I'm not too concerned about snowy driving conditions, like I would be with the CC2.
1695431658755.png

The CC2's have failed me 3 times driving through unplowed heavy wet snow I see, the first 2 times, it was within the first winter season (and tires installed in November).

Here's a video of a person hooning around with the Nokian One's on a Tesla in some fluffy snow, before he puts on his Nokian Hakka 10 studded EV

Last edited:
TS
S

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMG_5221.jpg

Nokian Hakk 9 unstudded mounted up on the Lexus RX wheels, and ready for this weekend's trip to Mammoth

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nokian Hakk 9 unstudded mounted up on the Lexus RX wheels, and ready for this weekend's trip to Mammoth

Best communicating snow tire I've ever had, but I kinda fell into some of the new Blizzaks this time around, due to a darn near giveaway price in September, and availability. :(

Sponsor

Staff online