• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Record Eagle, Kneale?

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is it fading or is it growing?

In today’s world it might almost be easier for a kid to say “F-it, I’m living for today since there’s no guarantee for tomorrow.”

In some ways we are seeing a cultural shift that is moving value away from material and putting value into experiences. This seems to be a thing fueled by social media imho.

Or maybe not? Hard to say with so many social media posts put out there by the trust funded babies.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just wanted to have fun with folks instead of being obtrusive while continuing my 10-year career as a newspaper writer/editor/photographer nearly 50 years ago, so I sort-of started ski bumming as an instructor, living in a two-bedroom trailer with three French guys. Eventually, I got a night job so I could continue skiing days. I’ve had a lot of 120-day seasons. I’m still at it!!
Do you still live in that two-bedroom trailer with the three French guys?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It can be done...if done smart and compromises are made. When we moved to Tahoe to live the ski bum/ski industry life, we were told that you "have to live in Truckee...for the lifestyle" .Well at that point Reno was almost 40% less to live (gas, housing, food, heat, eat..) ..40% buys a lot of lifestyle. We aren't living in a old worn down condo with 4 other people, we have an actual house with an actual yard and a lot of other actual things. What is cool is we are still only 30-40 minutes from skiing which is about the same as the ski bums are in Tahoe-Donner are...once they shovel out their driveways. It has been said over and over, Reno is what people think Denver is going to be, a city close to skiing, well, even with prices rising here, it is still somewhat affordable.

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
God Bless you who started families and are attempting to raise the generation of Millennials and Gen-Zers. I sound like an old fart saying "these kids", but damn, "these kids" have a lot of challenges and opportunities that previous generations didn't need to deal with. But isn't that always the case?

My only rationalization for reproduction was that they'd make really fun ski buddies, but that's not a guarantee by any means either. You should have no regrets @Carl. Maybe someday you'll be skiing with the grand kids.

I raised my two daughters the same way I was raised, with a lot of love and being a good role model. Fortunately they were great kids growing up and are happy successful adults. No grandchildren yet but I do ski with them. Started them off when they were about 5 years old. I must say they're pretty darn good skiers.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Obviously what they need to to is import some temporary foreign workers to do the job of ski bum..this way they can live in dog houses, eat nothing but Hot Rods and fill up that niche of ski bum... :eek:;) More importantly, nobody in Aspen will have to pay an extra $0.10 for their latte... :D

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Do you still live in that two-bedroom trailer with the three French guys?

The night job lead to a remarriage, a house we expanded (and finally just sold), extensive property purchases (we once had a dozen rentals), so I escaped the French adventure but kept instructing.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Those guys who used to live in the mini dorms at Alta's base seemed to be ok with it.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Daily skier is what I label myself. Ski bum lifestyle is still in vogue around here. Live cheap in Rut”vegas”, take the bus to the mountain for $1 per day, Ski on boards that were fished out of a dumpster. Hang out with the locals in the ski bus for lunch and beer breaks. My kind of people. Truth be told it takes a lot of hard work to be a bum.
Lunch Break.jpg

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I wonder how many contemplated being a ski bum for a year or more but never did it. I'm in that category. Out of college the money was way too good as an engineer so I jumped into the work force. I was always maxed out with work my entire career. Raising a family and all that responsibility also had an influence. But I have no regrets.

I thought about it I was working retail in the Ski business all through college. I had a good offer selling technology right out of college and I am still doing that 30 years later. Inertia takes over and once kids came in the picture it was too late. 3 more years and my kids are out of college and maybe I will chase things for a winter in retirement.

Sponsor

Staff online