• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tennis Anyone?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So, the first part of your post yes of course made sense in the it-DOESN'T-make-sense sense.

But the second part just read in YOUR voice. It was amazing! and really cool.

Over and out.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why should a football goal be worth 6 points?
How come a pitcher can strike a batter out but if the catcher drops the ball the batter can run to 1st?

I would support a ban on shrieking. Venus vs Sharapova is the worst.

So, the first part of your post yes of course made sense in the it-DOESN'T-make-sense sense.

But the second part just read in YOUR voice. It was amazing! and really cool.

Over and out.
If you're talking about James' post, I agree. If you read it in his voice...;)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anybody remember this? Obviously a case where a definite therapeutic exception should have been made, but wasn't...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/in_depth/2001/tour_de_france/1456643.stm
I had not heard that story.
Crazy.
Snip from the article.
Surely nothing could go wrong now?

Wrong. The combination of a rogue southern French wasp and cycling's strict doping rules meant Vaughters' third week of the Tour lasted just 10km.

The insect made its impact during a training ride on the rest day, something riders must do to keep their legs from seizing up during a three-week race.

He was unable to treat the sting because it would have required a kind of cortisone injection that is banned by anti-doping rules.

_1456643_vaughters300.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sharapova took a banned substance for a competitive advantage and deserves to be banned. The scoring is based on tradition, which is a good thing. The difference is if the server was at 40-15 and lost the point the score would be 40-30, not add in. It all makes sense if you're a tennis player.If you're not, I can understand why some posters would find it odd or confusing.

Same as add in. Next point will either be win and hold or deuce. I've played quite a bit of tennis, but non competitive.

I agree that 40-15 is 40-15.. but 30 all is deuce for all intents and purposes.. Just tradition, only valid defense use "30 all" instead of "Deuce" at 30-30.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That actually has nothing to do with levels. It's called no-ad scoring, and it's used all the way up, even the mixed final at the French Open. The tournament or league director decides if they want it when they make the rules. Its sole purpose is to save time. I have never spoken to a tennis player who likes it.
Impatient parents watching a long high school event after school and after work prefer it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Why should a football goal be worth 6 points?
How come a pitcher can strike a batter out but if the catcher drops the ball the batter can run to 1st?

I would support a ban on shrieking. Venus vs Sharapova is the worst.

I'm not advocating changing any scoring or other rule criteria. I am only advocating streamlining the terminology to a more standardized set that makes sense from all angles except "tradition".. and except for the "No Add" play scenarios Seg mentions where they don't say "Deuce" at all.

Last edited:

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
But that's not the only part of tennis scoring that doesn't make sense, lol. Love-15-30-40? Does any of it make any sense?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
But that's not the only part of tennis scoring that doesn't make sense, lol. Love-15-30-40? Does any of it make any sense?
I've heard with no deuce game called "45", not sure where if it was a legit term somewhere or my friends making a joke during a late night tennis jam.

pud

Putting on skis
Skier
Wow! Keep typing crg. People who actually play tennis would know that 45 is an abbreviation for 40-15. Same as 35, 30-15 and 5-all,15-15. Has nothing to do with no deuce game or commonly known as no-add.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I swear we had this discussion on epic. Some people say 5 instead of 15. Some people say 30-deuce instead of 30-all. No-ad scoring can use 0-1-2-3 rather than love-15-etc. Let's move on to tiebreaks now!

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love tiebreakers. It's just about right for my short attention span for watching tennis. Now if I could avoid sitting through the other 12 games to get to that...

I hope my tennis fan wife doesn't read this...

Eric

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I swear we had this discussion on epic. Some people say 5 instead of 15. Some people say 30-deuce instead of 30-all. No-ad scoring can use 0-1-2-3 rather than love-15-etc. Let's move on to tiebreaks now!
Thanks, this is all of it in three sentences..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We've also not gotten around to jump serves and playing with two rackets or swapping hands to serve to the weakside court..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wow! Keep typing crg. People who actually play tennis would know that 45 is an abbreviation for 40-15. Same as 35, 30-15 and 5-all,15-15. Has nothing to do with no deuce game or commonly known as no-add.

I've heard that said too, but hot in terms of winning the game or instead of "40".

And you can also keep typing. Some say it was called 45 before it was called 40 apparently. But feel free to keep trying to bum me out.. I know you love me... See what I did there?

"The origins of the 15, 30, and 40 scores are believed to be medieval French. The earliest reference is in a ballad by Charles D'Orleans in 1435 which refers to quarante cinque (which gave rise to our 40) and in 1522 there is a sentence in Latin "we are winning thirty, we are winning forty-five". The first recorded theories about the origin of fifteen were published in 1555 and 1579. However the origins of this convention remain obscure.[3]

It is possible that clock faces were used on court, with a quarter move of the hand to indicate a score of 15, 30, and 45. When the hand moved to 60, the game was over. However, in order to ensure that the game could not be won by a one-point difference in players' scores, the idea of "deuce" was introduced. To make the score stay within the "60" ticks on the clock face, the 45 was changed to 40. Therefore, if both players have 40, the first player to score receives ten and that moves the clock to 50. If the player scores a second time before the opponent is able to score, they are awarded another ten and the clock moves to 60. The 60 signifies the end of the game. However, if a player fails to score twice in a row, then the clock would move back to 40 to establish another "deuce".[4][5][6]

Another theory is that the scoring nomenclature came from the French game jeu de paume (a precursor to tennis which initially used the hand instead of a racket). Jeu de paume was very popular before the French revolution, with more than 1,000 courts in Paris alone. The traditional court was 90 ft in total with 45 ft on each side. When the server scored, he moved forward 15 ft. If he scored again, he would move another 15 ft. If he scored a third time, he could only move 10 ft closer.[7]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_scoring_system

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Really interesting interview about Maria Sharapova's Come Back
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/maria-sharapova-back-on-court/
Part of the interview transcript:
"2016, you get an email saying that you failed a urine test. What went through your head when you opened that email?" asked Smith.

maria-sharapova-interview-promo.jpg

Tennis star Maria Sharapova.

CBS NEWS
"Oh gosh, I had no knowledge of what it was," Sharapova said. "I thought it was a mistake at first. Because I had been getting certificates of approval for years on this product, and I never had a problem with it. And then I realized that it became banned on January 1st, and I had zero knowledge of it."

"In your gut, what did that feel like?"

"I think in the beginning, it was disbelief. I think the first thing I thought of was, 'How could I not know? How did I not have this information?'"

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online