• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Temporary ‘carport’ that can survive a winter

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Im looking for suggestions for a temporary ‘carport’ that can survive a winter(82psf roof snow load to be exact and some strong winds). Next spring we’ll be expanding the workshop and building some standalone covered storage, but I need something to park a tractor under for this winter. The parking area will be on gravel/dirt so I will probably use some kind of helical anchors.

looking at some canvas hoophouses(soft Quonset huts) , some gable shaped canvas products also.

Anyone have any actual experience in winter/snow conditions with something like I’m describing? Im trying to walk a fine line between investing a bunch of money in something I need as a temporary solution but yet strong enough to withstand snow loads. I can rake the snow off if im home but if im away for a week or more i dont want to come home to a collapsed structure .

thanks

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I looked into this and couldn't come with anything that I thought was worth the asking money.

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier
I looked into this and couldn't come with anything that I thought was worth the asking money.

Thats exactly where Im at also. I see the prices and then think about how much lumber that will pay for on my projects next spring.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We looked at several when we moved, but before I expanded the garage.

They weren't cheap, and they seemed kinda crappy, so I just sucked it up and dealt with the sprinter getting snowed on for one winter, and having to "manage" snow around it.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
How big is the tractor? Do you need it for snow removal or are you just parking it for the winter?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Lots of folks use them up north here. Yes they're $500 but lumber ain't cheap either. Last time I looked here, $90 for a 3/4" sheet of plywood..

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
There are quite a few people in my area that have had the temporary tent garages set up for a decade or more without issue. Granted we don't get nearly the amount of snow you do but the good ones are pretty durable, IME. That said, with your construction skills/experience building a more permanent structure wouldn't be too difficult and is likely the route I would choose in your situation. If you don't plan on it being permanent you can design and build it to be easily broken down and the materials reused.

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier
How big is the tractor? Do you need it for snow removal or are you just parking it for the winter
39 horse, roughly 6.5’ wide, 20’ish long(w/ loader and backhoe), and with the rollbar down about 7’ tall. Yeah, it needs to come out to plow snow.
Google bow roof shed. Awesome shape for snow loads and you can get away with thinner lumber. PITA to bend the half frames but almost self assembles after tha
I was just thinking about one of those this afternoon. Ive seen several boat builds/refits on youtube where they use those! Im going to look into building one of those more.

Ive got the county coming around for a bunch of other inspections, I think those look ‘temporary’, but not sure how they would describe it? Im kinda hoping to fly under the radar on this project and not ask for permission and if it gets flagged do the whole beg for forgiveness and plead ignorance…

Lots of folks use them up north here. Yes they're $500 but lumber ain't cheap either.
Im seeing like 3-4k for what i was looking at.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you've got trees try to McGyver DIY something with good rope and heavy tarps?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
perhaps costs offset or more options if you repurpose materials for the permanent structure?

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Those temporary carports.... a friend had one... and a strong wind day caused it to fly a bit.

I would just build one to the exact size you need and have a corrugated metal roof.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't build anything, thereby ensuring the biggest powder year ever.

A small sacrifice!

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier
Don't build anything, thereby ensuring the biggest powder year ever.

A small sacrifice!

I wana get something built, but it may not work out that way and I will then have to spend all my ‘free time’ skiing this epic powder I'm hearing about! After shoveling off the tractor so I can plow the road and get outta here.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a catalog of an established outfit, lots of other folks out there and kits from folks like Menards, Lowes, etc but this gives a good overview of options and costs.

I suspect too, established outfits can provide parts (repair) years down the road and give actual snow loading and wind risks:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
noted repurposing ... any future need or use of a green house?

buy for the tractor and in a year or two, move it to extend your growing season, or fancier man cave for outside seasons.

Sponsor