• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Tell me about Peak 10 at Breck

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I'm heading to Breck on Friday and am curious about the runs on 10, seeing that they're all black or double black. I'm not up to double black yet, but definitely want to hit as many single blacks as i can. Are the double blacks due to cliffs or dropoffs? Not interested in that.

Also doesn't look practical going from 10 over to peak 8 to hit more. Should i skip 10 and focus on peak 8? Any suggestions?

Paging @Monique and @Doug Briggs

Last edited:

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
The double blacks off of peak 10 are pretty fun, quite steep, and rugged. I like them a lot but the flat runout back to the lift is brutal. The single black runs parallel to the lift are long, wide, steep, usually-groomed cruisers. They can be a blast, but watch out for warp-speed meat missiles. That's where I got plowed into a number of years back. The Burn is a fun, open gladed slope that gets tighter near the bottom. Grits is a short, not-too-steep little pitch that they usually let get bumped up and can be a bump ego-boost. It's not bad to get over to 8 from the Falcon pod. Just continue keep veering skier's left and hop on the Peak 8 Super Connect.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
The runs under the lift used to be blue-black before Breck eliminated that trail marking. So really advanced intermediate. Peak 10 is worth sampling as there is some nice terrain, but I have usually found it windblown with better conditions to be found elsewhere.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I was fortunate enough to have hit Peak 10 on the first day it opened last season. With 4-10 inches of fresh snow overnight and more falling through the morning, it was excellent. I agree that the runs under the lift are toward the easier end of black level. Spitfire, Corsair and the Burn were fun early but quickly got bumped up.

upload_2018-12-19_9-54-9.jpeg
upload_2018-12-19_9-57-31.jpeg

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The double blacks off of peak 10 are pretty fun, quite steep, and rugged. I like them a lot but the flat runout back to the lift is brutal. The single black runs parallel to the lift are long, wide, steep, usually-groomed cruisers. They can be a blast, but watch out for warp-speed meat missiles. That's where I got plowed into a number of years back. The Burn is a fun, open gladed slope that gets tighter near the bottom. Grits is a short, not-too-steep little pitch that they usually let get bumped up and can be a bump ego-boost. It's not bad to get over to 8 from the Falcon pod. Just continue keep veering skier's left and hop on the Peak 8 Super Connect.

The double blacks (Blackhawk, Dark Rider, Trinity, etc) are southern facing - so depending on the sun angle and the temperatures the snow can be really good or not so good. The blacks down the spine of 10 (Centennial, DoubleJack) are not very interesting, however, Cimarron is usually in good shape and more interesting. Spitfire, Corsair, the The Burn are northern facing and will have the best snow. Agree about Burn being fun and open near the top and tighter near the bottom particulary as you drift skiers right. Grits is a good place to work on your bump skiing technique.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
in my experience, long steep groomers for going fast which you need to carry the flat back to the lift. they look tempting but sadly nothing special. worth a half a day, once. then go back to chair 6.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
What are you looking for? All of the ungroomed require a long flat back, the groomers Cimarron, Doublejack, Centennial and Crystal take you back without effort. I like Cim, DJ and Centennial for fast skiing, The Burn for fun tree/powder. I don't go south often as it is usually sun affected so either sloppy slush in the spring, dust on crust or just plain firm. As it is all ungroomed, it isn't what I go for.

Getting there quickly from 8 is done by skiing down to and taking E-Chair to 9, then any of the southern runs that get you to Falcon chair. Getting back is quick as you can pick up the Superconnect after any run on 10. I'd show you around but I'll be coaching at Cooper Friday through Monday.

Today's snow should make everything pretty plush if it doesn't get sunny before you arrive. Just looked. Sunny on Thursday. In that case anything north facing will be better than anything south facing anywhere on the mountain. Also blown in on Peaks 6, 7 and 8 will be inviting.

rcc55125

Getting on the lift
Skier
Breck Snow Pro on YouTube has a lot of good videos describing the runs. Ted gives a good description of the run and how best to ski it.
Here are a couple for Peak 10.

Sponsor