• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tecnica/Nordica WC Liner Replacement

Peakviper

Booting up
Skier
I’m skiing in 2006 Tecnica Diablo Race R plug boots, size 44, 319mm sole, ground out for my size 12s. The shells and soles are in remarkably good condition for their age. They still fit my feet well with no pain points. The lace up race liners clearly are packed out by now, but I can still buckle them to a snug and not painful fit. I never spend the whole day all over the mountain, so my snug race boots work for me.

Aside: I’ve read the criticism about these Tecnicas being “rotary boots” with excessive forward lean, etc. I don’t care; they work for me. The well known critic of rotary boots also said that Ligety leaned in too much to be successful.

Context: my skiing consists of 2 hour sessions lapping empty blue runs, working to maintain and improve my GS race carve on 183/25m tweener GS skis. This mode of skiing is obviously not everyone’s thing, but at age 70, two hours of “fantasy GS training” a couple times a week is a joyful time.

I know the Tecnicas are on borrowed time, but I have no great motivation to spend $800 on new boots and boot fitting. If and when I feel the fit degrading, if the shells are intact, I am inclined to spend a couple hundred on replacement Tecnica WC lace up liners (or the identical Dobermanns.)

Which leads to the question (finally):

What are the chances that new Tecnica WC liners will work in my old 93mm Tecnica plug shells? Tecnica tech support is not optimistic: “replacement liners for this particular model are no longer in production and any of our current liners will not be compatible.” There are two ways to take this:
- they should know, or
- of course they would say that

Visually the new WC liners look very similar to mine.

Of course there’s only one way to know: buy and try. I’m willing to spend $200 finding out.

I am not sure anyone out there has faced a similar “old race boot” situation. Any advice will be appreciated.

If anyone out there wants to sell a pair of newer Tecnica or Nordica race liners in my size, I am interested!

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At this point, you are not limited to just Tecnica or Nordica liners, any lace up including zipfits. All will be forward compatible with any new race boot you move to.

TS
P

Peakviper

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, Philpug! That was my hunch and what I was hoping.

I reckon a new liner might require more shell work in places. If so, and my shells are too far gone/ground, then I will pony up for new boots.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Zipfits will work in the fit described? When I enquired, the company told me they were unlikely to in a really tight-ftting boot or downsized race boot.
Are you getting different results @Philpug ?

TS
P

Peakviper

Booting up
Skier
I’m assuming Tecnica or Nordica race liners in same liner size as mine would be dimensionally closer to my old ones than a Zipfit lace up. Could be wrong, of course.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I’m assuming Tecnica or Nordica race liners in same liner size as mine would be dimensionally closer to my old ones than a Zipfit lace up. Could be wrong, of course.

That Tecnica is an Orange clone of the Dobermann, that liner has not changed 2000-2023. The 2024 liner is slightly different/ updated.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Zipfits will work in the fit described? When I enquired, the company told me they were unlikely to in a really tight-ftting boot or downsized race boot.
Are you getting different results @Philpug ?

Latest Corsa liner easily fits in super tight plug shells.

Sponsor

Staff online