• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tears in ski pants

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone have a good way to fix tears in the pant legs of ski pants? Ankle are has quite a few small tears.

Thanks

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
If the cut goes all the way through, put a piece of scotch tape on the outside of the cut to keep it together and smooth. Then, on the inside of the fabric, paint the cut with some seam sealer (I've used seam grip, it works well). Once it dries, peel the scotch tape off and you have a very strong repair that looks pretty good. If it doesn't go all the way through, obviously you can't do this. The seam sealer works just as well on the outside of fabric in that case, but it is a much more noticeable repair (since the seam sealer cures pretty glossy).

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There's a fabric tape you can get at REI - I forget the name, but I have a pair of pants that have gone through multiple wash cycles this way. Get black, not clear, though, IMO.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
There's a fabric tape you can get at REI - I forget the name, but I have a pair of pants that have gone through multiple wash cycles this way. Get black, not clear, though, IMO.
The nylon tent repair tape also comes in other colors like yellow and blue -but hard to find. not at REI? A local outdoor shop in Grass Valley had blue.
My older blue jacket for skiing in woods had blue patches all over.:roflmao:
due to minor tree limb snags. None did bodily harm.:doh:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The nylon tent repair tape also comes in other colors like yellow and blue -but hard to find. not at REI? A local outdoor shop in Grass Valley had blue.
My older blue jacket for skiing in woods had blue patches all over.:roflmao:
due to minor tree limb snags. None did bodily harm.:doh:

This is specifically for clothing, not tents. The brand is Tenacious Tape.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ski edges are the problem. Fix. Use a touch of crazy glue to seal the edges of the cut together. As it is the cuff who cares, as you are skiing not fashion modeling.

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
silver-188-in-x-60-yd_Add1_Image.png

:0

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I've done seam seal for crampon holes in my ski pants and nylon fabric patches for holes/tears in my puffy. The seam seal is nice for the ankle holes because it doesn't run as much risk of getting unstuck at some point in the future (ever get your binding brake stuck in those holes? It sucks. I mean, I assume it would suck, not that I know or anything.....)

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
This also works, but it'll get gummy in the wash.

That's why I stopped using duct tape and started using seam grip instead. If you're gonna go the duct tape route, definitely use gorilla tape instead as it can actually survive the wash a few times in my experience. I've never used Tenacious Tape, sounds like that might hold up even better.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I've done seam seal for crampon holes in my ski pants and nylon fabric patches for holes/tears in my puffy. The seam seal is nice for the ankle holes because it doesn't run as much risk of getting unstuck at some point in the future (ever get your binding brake stuck in those holes? It sucks. I mean, I assume it would suck, not that I know or anything.....)

Yes indeed.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tears in ski pants? Must have been a helluva night. I hope you at least called her the next day...maybe that was the reason for the tears.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I used some sticky-back fabric repair tape from REI - I think the same thing is packaged as clothes and tent repair. Clean first with rubbing alcohol (and let it dry, obviously).
Cut to round off the corners of the patch -- that's where peeling starts.

I tried Gorrilla Tape, but the only way I could get it to stay more than a couple days was to go all the way around the leg.

Sponsor

Staff online