• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Taos ski week moves to private only, for 20/21

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Darn, just after I decided that I might actually try to have a season this year...
I haven’t even bought a pass or anything, but I’m really missing nature and gliding down surfaces...
is anyone else out there thinking of forming a small private group? Just for fun?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Darn, just after I decided that I might actually try to have a season this year...
I haven’t even bought a pass or anything, but I’m really missing nature and gliding down surfaces...
is anyone else out there thinking of forming a small private group? Just for fun?
If I felt safe travelling, I'd be in. But unfortunately I don't.....

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I haven’t even bought a pass or anything, but I’m really missing nature and gliding down surfaces...is anyone else out there thinking of forming a small private group? Just for fun?
I'm in a similar situation. What's your thinking surrounding "forming a small private group?"

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If not for the pandemic, I also thought this would be the Taos Ski Week year for me.

As a side note of famous ski week programs, I recently met up with 3 local Tahoe backcountry ski and hiking buddies/pod, 74, 74, and 80 years young, who were trying to convince me to join them to ski Portillo. They couldn't stop talking about an 80 yo female instructor who teaches at St. Moritz and Portillo. I subsequently read about Heidi Knaus in this article: https://www.mensjournal.com/travel/chile-portillo-skiing-resort/
She even teaches yoga every day and plays the accordion in the evening!

It's hard to keep up with these playful and fun folks who never seem to grow old; without a doubt I'll jump at the opportunity to join them in Portillo.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Welp, i think i'll be playing it on the cautious side as well this season. I truly miss sliding on surfaces and being in nature. Long shot would be a couple weeks in the North Tahoe region where i have family, hopefully if/when it snows again there...
Otherwise, i guess i'll keep up with my new pandemic hobbies of skateboarding and skating....
anyone in the nyc area up for these things, hit me up!

Hi @Rainbow Jenny!...been so long....just waking up to life again...

k

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
If not for the pandemic, I also thought this would be the Taos Ski Week year for me.

As a side note of famous ski week programs, I recently met up with 3 local Tahoe backcountry ski and hiking buddies/pod, 74, 74, and 80 years young, who were trying to convince me to join them to ski Portillo. They couldn't stop talking about an 80 yo female instructor who teaches at St. Moritz and Portillo. I subsequently read about Heidi Knaus in this article: https://www.mensjournal.com/travel/chile-portillo-skiing-resort/
She even teaches yoga every day and plays the accordion in the evening!

It's hard to keep up with these playful and fun folks who never seem to grow old; without a doubt I'll jump at the opportunity to join them in Portillo.

Heidi is a legend! I've been working with her for the last 10 years and her age is still a mystery! Strange not to be there this year.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Private ski week is one price (I think it was $1350 last year) for up to X people - if you can find a few people with the same interests, you can split a private week for just about the same cost as a non-private ski week. Only thing you will be missing is the ski off.
You can also split the week however you want. I did a private week last season with my husband, and 2 other private weeks with a friend where he took 3 days and I took 3. We did not ski together since we were working on different things.
As for the quarantine - my golf club has been getting plenty of out of state visitors these past few months. 100% sure these people did not quarantine for 14-days before heading out to golf, nor is anyone enforcing it‍...Not sure how TSV will be able to monitor/enforce it either.

Last edited:

DaveM

Putting on skis
Skier
Taos Ski Valley's "Ski Week" was fantastic! I'm glad to see, in the above thread, that it will resume in the future, after the pandemic. I went to "TSV" in February 2014, with a local ski club, and signed-up for "Ski Week". That was when the Blake family still owned the area. I was in an "Intermediate" group -- eight people or less -- with a very good instructor. "I got better!", to paraphrase Monty Python. It was indeed an incredibly good deal. I met people from Texas, Georgia, CA and Canada. I strongly recommend it.
Yes, it started snowing within 1-2 days of our arrival, and at least briefly squalled, every day. 'Happiness!

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
TSV season pass information is out. Will operate at 50% capacity. No word on “reservations” for passholders (season/ikon), just 14-day advanced purchase for tickets. Only private lessons are available this year. No shuttle, no lockers...check their website.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
TSV season pass information is out. Will operate at 50% capacity. No word on “reservations” for passholders (season/ikon), just 14-day advanced purchase for tickets. Only private lessons are available this year. No shuttle, no lockers...check their website.
Here's the page for those interested:

I'm a little surprised at the decision not to run the parking shuttles, given that they are mostly open-air, and not typically crowded (at least not when I've used them).

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's the page for those interested:

I'm a little surprised at the decision not to run the parking shuttles, given that they are mostly open-air, and not typically crowded (at least not when I've used them).

HOW DO IKON AND MOUNTAIN COLLECTIVE PASSHOLDERS SKI AT TAOS?
IKON passholders will need to make a reservation via the IKON reservation system, then can go direct to the lift at Taos Ski Valley.

James

Out There
Instructor
You don’t have to be expert to take a ski week at Taos.

Could we change the title of this thread? It’s too much end of the world.
Like “World Cup in North America- No More”

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
HOW DO IKON AND MOUNTAIN COLLECTIVE PASSHOLDERS SKI AT TAOS?
IKON passholders will need to make a reservation via the IKON reservation system, then can go direct to the lift at Taos Ski Valley.
Which raises a conundrum:

If I'm not sure I want to crack open my 20/21 Ikon (saving it for the 21/22 season), does that mean I can't make early reservations with it? I.e., does making a reservation constitute "using" your Ikon, or does the shrink wrap get breached only when you actually redeem a day?

Sponsor

Staff online