Taos or JH or Sun Valley or Telluride

Discussion in 'Ski School' started by Codger, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Codger

Codger At the base lodge Skier

i am a senior citizen traveling alone and to have company I have been looking at the Taos ski week,the jh max 3 or 4 lessons for 5 days or the sun valley mountain masters for 5 days. Each of the sessions are about a half day and Taos is the least expensive by far. Another option is “make friends with the moguls” a 3 day all day program at Telluride. Lodging could be at hostel x or in Ketchum or telluride town. Not sure where to stay at Taos. Any of your thoughts on these options are appreciated.

2. Bad Bob

Bad Bob old n' slow Skier

in desert looking down at a river and up at MT's
    What type of hill do you enjoy or want to ski? Totally different personalities to these mountains.
    Steep- Taos
    Big mountain-Jackson Hole
    Bumps-Telluride
    Groomers- Sun Valley
    They are all off the charts great hills.

3. KingGrump

KingGrump Most Interesting Man In The World Team Gathermeister

I am very familiar with the Taos ski week. It's a great program. Lots of really good skiers do the ski week. Many do multiple weeks each season. It's that much fun.
    It is a combination of steep & deep camp and mogul masters. Taos has all the steep and bumps you can ever wish for and then some more.
    Amazing instructors. Definitely can't beat the price.

Lodging wise. There is not much in the ski valley itself. Price point tends to be higher.
    There are several more B&B and inns in the Amizette area of the ski valley. It's about 1.5 miles from the base area. The prices are much more reasonable. Most of the skiers I know liked the Columbine Inn there. I believe most rooms at the Columbine come with breakfast.
    The Abominable SnowMansion in Arroyo Seco ten miles down the road is an interesting Hostel like lodging option. Heard lots of good things about it.
    The Town of Taos (19 miles) provides loads of lodging options. Taos is very busy with summer tourists. So there are usually plenty of lodging available in the winter. The drive to the hill is very easy. No issues with a FWD rental.

Don't know when you are planning your trip. There is a Taos mini gathering shaping up for the week of 2/3/2019.
    Discussion thread is here.