• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Taos (Lodging Recs)

DCL

Booting up
Skier
I plan to take the kids to Taos next month for 5 or 6 days. We will be driving in and I’m trying to decide whether to stay up on the mountain or in Town. Does anybody have experience with the two? What is your preference? Also, if we pick the town how easy is it to drive up, park, get kids to ski school, etc.

Tjanks

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I plan to take the kids to Taos next month for 5 or 6 days. We will be driving in and I’m trying to decide whether to stay up on the mountain or in Town. Does anybody have experience with the two? What is your preference? Also, if we pick the town how easy is it to drive up, park, get kids to ski school, etc.

Tjanks

Its a half hour drive up to the ski resort from Taos in perfect weather. It usually does not snow in town but the road up the canyon can get quite snowy and icy.

The town of Taos is pretty dingy but has character and the food is pretty good. I stayed at the El Pueblo Lodge and it was pretty basic but convenient, clean and the people there were very friendly.

That said, I dont have kids and went by myself.

With kids I would want to stay right at the base of the resort.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Depends how old the kids are. Younger than high school, at the slopes is the way to go. At any resort.

I wouldn't call taos dingy. It is dusty, though. I stayed up at the ski area.
This time. Have done town others.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
At the recently concluded Gathering at Taos, most of the folks stayed in town, or at the hotels just a few miles down the ski valley road. It's not a bad drive if the weather is fine, which it was for the most part. But a few thoughts :

1) As mentioned above, if you have small kids I'd think you'd want to stay closer, for skiing purposes.
2) There aren't a lot of restaurants in the village - just a handful. Lots more in town.
3) The village is quite a bit more expensive.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TS
D

DCL

Booting up
Skier
Thanks all - appreciate the recommendations. After pricing it out I decided to stay in town with the kids as it was about $4k cheaper for the week. Since it’s just me and the two kids (wife and youngest is staying at home) I hope this will work fine. All three of us are doing a ski week so we will do that and then head back into town for swimming, dinner and sleep.

Sponsor