Arizona/New Mexico Taos (Lodging Recs)

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by DCL, Feb 10, 2019.

1. DCL

DCL Booting up Skier

I plan to take the kids to Taos next month for 5 or 6 days. We will be driving in and I’m trying to decide whether to stay up on the mountain or in Town. Does anybody have experience with the two? What is your preference? Also, if we pick the town how easy is it to drive up, park, get kids to ski school, etc.

Tjanks

2. Ken_R

Ken_R Living the Dream Skier

Its a half hour drive up to the ski resort from Taos in perfect weather. It usually does not snow in town but the road up the canyon can get quite snowy and icy.

The town of Taos is pretty dingy but has character and the food is pretty good. I stayed at the El Pueblo Lodge and it was pretty basic but convenient, clean and the people there were very friendly.

That said, I dont have kids and went by myself.

With kids I would want to stay right at the base of the resort.

3. mdf

mdf entering the Big Couloir Skier

Depends how old the kids are. Younger than high school, at the slopes is the way to go. At any resort.

I wouldn't call taos dingy. It is dusty, though. I stayed up at the ski area.
    This time. Have done town others.

4. KingGrump

KingGrump Most Interesting Man In The World Team Gathermeister

Ain't bad for a third world country. :cool:

5. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister-- Jackson Hole 2020 Moderator Team Gathermeister

At the recently concluded Gathering at Taos, most of the folks stayed in town, or at the hotels just a few miles down the ski valley road. It's not a bad drive if the weather is fine, which it was for the most part. But a few thoughts :

1) As mentioned above, if you have small kids I'd think you'd want to stay closer, for skiing purposes.
    2) There aren't a lot of restaurants in the village - just a handful. Lots more in town.
    3) The village is quite a bit more expensive.

6. Ken_R

Ken_R Living the Dream Skier

Thats part of its charm :D

7. Thread Starter
    TS
    DCL

DCL Booting up Skier

Thanks all - appreciate the recommendations. After pricing it out I decided to stay in town with the kids as it was about $4k cheaper for the week. Since it’s just me and the two kids (wife and youngest is staying at home) I hope this will work fine. All three of us are doing a ski week so we will do that and then head back into town for swimming, dinner and sleep.

dbostedo likes this.