• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sweet Protection Interstellar goggle

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
This is the top-of-the line freeride goggle by Sweet Protection, the brand that arguably makes the best helmets on the market. I have a couple of Sweet helmets that I use and I was excited to try the matching goggle. As expected the google mated very well with my SP Rooster helmet, so far so good. The goggle is built like a tank and feels very solid. The whole idea seems to be to build a double-lens goggle with plastic sealing around the lenses instead of foam, and with a small swatch of GoreTex taking care of the sealing the inter-lens space from the moisture. As I said the google feels like a vault, very little frame give, this is the goggle I would like to wear if I run into a tree (hopefully not)... The optic quality is very good with a caveat (see the rest of the post). The included lens options (two lenses) are sensible, but a bit close in VLT than what I would like to see.

850020_Interstellar-WEB-Limited-Edition-Goggle-RTOPZ_ABLK_PRODUCT_1_Sweetprotection.jpg

Sounds neat so far, but it is much, much more complicated in practice. First, the lens change system is very solid, but leads to some truly bad usability issues. The lens is held by magnets in the middle (great) and two metal prongs on the sie that are pulled into the frame by levers. Works well enough, the problem is that those prongs are sticking out from the lens, making the spare lens storage a major inconvenience. If you put the goggle and the lens in the included bag, the prongs will scratch the other lens, or stick out from the bag and catch everything in your backpack. And forget about putting a spare lens in your jacket pocket. Bad design. The puzzling part is that the prongs are not really needed, the place where they pull into the frame is then covered with another part of the frame, so having another magnetic attachment point there would have been just as secure in practice as having the prong.
IMG_4906.JPG

The optional hard case (sold separately!) is an expensive disaster, as it forces you put the spare lens in front of the goggle where those prongs are pretty much bound to scratch the lens, since the goggle is not held in tightly. SP recognizes this and includes plastic cap for the prongs (which sooner or later would get lost). Besides, a $200+ goggle should come with a hard case these days. I am not even mentioning the issue that this case is HUGE.

But, by far the worst feature of Interstellar was fogging. These fog up like a champion, meaning they fog up hard and in no time. Obstructed ventilation with a tight fit to the helmet (Sweet's own Rooster), combined with a small GoreTex dot, which is easily obstructed by a snow clump or a raindrop, defeats all the neat and fancy design features. Granted, the day was awful weatherwise, but I had plenty of those days before and never had issues that were that fast and that severe. I was fully fogged up from a ride up on a chair by the time I got to the top in a wet snowstorm. In a rain/snow storm at Squaw this brand-new high-end fancy goggle was useless. If I stopped and wiped the insides with a microfiber cloth, I could see again, but only for a couple of minutes. A modern goggle should not do that. A $220 google simply has no excuse for that. Any goggle works on a dry bluebird day, so today was a really good test.

I hope SP goes back to the drawing board with this one. If you want to try Interstellar for yourself, make sure that you have a solid return policy.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Honest man, calling it as he sees it. Bravo.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Thanks for posting this info. And I'm saying a big "whew" since I just ordered a Sweet Protection setup.

I went with the Switcher MIPS helmet and after much tribulation, finally decided on the Clockwork goggles instead of the Interstellar. The Clockwork model is much lower profile; providing significantly better field of view. I saw some shots of the Interstellar mated with Sweet's own helmets and the goggles were sticking well far in front of the front brim of the helmets. Also, the Clockwork is the goggle well proven on the World Cup. No, it's not the most sleek, frameless design, but I'm really picky about the field of vision so I decided to go with those.

I was also really on the fence about which lenses to go with, but I ended up choosing the RIG Amethyst Light and the RIG Topaz Mirror. I hope the whole setup is "sweet". ;) (cough) :roflmao:

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
@Noodler you may have a had a better experience as you are in CO which is drier. Also a helmet probably plays a big role in how a goggle ventilates at the top. But my point was that in 2019 there are plenty of goggles that do not fog with just about any helmet, so Sweet needs to make sure it is true for their goggles as well.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hard to imagine 220 for lousy goggles, when you can get perfectly good Chinese ones for 40, probably made by the same people that charge 200 plus

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I don't necessarily want to call them lousy. This is a first iteration and they made a few design mistakes. This:
66ED251C-1B28-4D3D-AC18-0C9DE5FA4ED5.jpeg

Is probably the reason for the fogging. The top is very flat and the foam barely extends above the top vents. A well fitting helmet that does not have dedicated vent channels in the forehead area is going to block those top vents completely. Game over. I am sure their designers will iterate and learn. It's a quality company.

Sponsor

Staff online