• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swapping brakes on Look SPX 12 Demos?

CS2-6

>50% Chicken Fried Steak w/w
Skier
Following the sincerely fantastic advice on this thread, I searched for and found some Look SPX 12 Demos for a great deal. The only problem is that they have 130mm brakes, and my skis are 89mm underfoot...

Will I have much luck in swapping the brakes out for narrower at the shop when I mount them? Or is that going to be pretty unlikely? Maybe I can get a narrow set from Look?

If the latter, then I've got a pair of new Look SPX 12 Demo's I'll be looking to sell to a PugSkier for a great deal.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Look brakes are some of the more expenive ones to replace, these will run you at least $50/pr to replace wich will make that "deal" less of one. Very few are looking to swap a 90 for a 130....

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Your shop may just swap the brakes but I doubt it. I have a long standing relationship with the shop I deal with and I wouldn’t really expect them to either. This is a great example as to why even if I find a smoking deal on skis online, which I have many times, I still buy my bindings from and have them mounted at the local shop. As an example, I really like Look Pivot bindings and you can find online deals ranging from from $190-240 or so for current year models maybe with the correct brake size, maybe not. My local shop is about $40-60 more depending in model (P12 vs 14) and most shops will mount for free or at least heavily discount the mounting and release checks if you buy from them so that’s what I do. I get exactly what I want safely and correctly mounted and their expertise and they get my business. Mind you, I understand that many here mount their own bindings and have a different outlook on this, but as a weekend recreational skier this has always worked well for me imo. I just think it’s win-win.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’d as well say look elsewhere for the bindings. Can get the 1/2 pound lighter regular version Rossignol Axial 3/Look SPX 12 for under $100 online and get it in the proper brake width. Or the even lighter Head Attack2 13 for around $150. So unless your” deal” is under $40 for those, I’d pass.

Mounting is around $30 or so and agree with Coach13 to check out local places as they might mount for free with binding purchase.

TS
CS2-6

CS2-6

>50% Chicken Fried Steak w/w
Skier
Well...……. bummer. By the time I'd seen @Philpug, @Coach12, and @GregK comments, I'd already won the auction. So I'll see what I can do about getting some 90mm brakes to put in these. But I will more than likely be listing them in the Garage Sale.

What I'm more interested in is where are yall finding these incredible deals on bindings? I've looked high and low and I can't get my hands on a pair of used demo bindings for <$100, let alone new.

Sponsor

Staff online