• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Sun Valley info

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Driving up to Sun Valley at the end of February, and am looking for the following"

- heading up 95/75 from Wells: anything thing twitch out for road conditions-wise?

- best places in SV/Ketchum for premium dining?

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing really to watch out for on the road unless there is a big storm. It is almost all two lane.

Places I like are the Pioneer (steak and seafood, no reservations so there is usually a line) and the Sawtooth club (has been quite a while).

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don’t really do a lot of premium dining in SV. The Pioneer Saloon is great and probably the most popular place in town. You really need to go shortly after it opens or be prepared to wait (maybe later works also?). It may not technically constitute premium dining since it it is just a really good steakhouse with great service.

Michael’s and the Knob Hill Inn are both really good. I am betting the Roundhouse at the top of the Gondola would be a lot of fun.

As far as not as not fine dining goes, I really like Village Station (in SV village) since it opened a few year’s ago. It has entered into our must do rotation on our yearly trip (along with the Pioneer).

TS
P

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, forget to add: what establishment makes the best Perfect Manhattan? :rocks:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Wonder around the Sun Valley Lodge and see if any of that works for you. Probably your best chance to find white linen tablecloths there. That is really where resort skiing all began in Western NA, and they do it pretty well. Like most here I'm pretty casual with my dining; another vote for the Pioneer.

If you are in Twin Falls looking for a meal, Elevation 486. Nice wine list very good food and perched 486' above Snake River Canyon.

Keep an eye open in the fields and meadows around the Lodge, not unusual to see a heard of elk wandering around. They not only have good taste, they taste good too.

Christy

Putting on skis
Skier
Driving up to Sun Valley at the end of February, and am looking for the following"

- heading up 95/75 from Wells: anything thing twitch out for road conditions-wise?

- best places in SV/Ketchum for premium dining?

Restaurants I recommend:

As others said, you have to go to the Pioneer. The bar is fun, we always end up chatting with folks. Ask to be seated upstairs (downstairs is a basement) unless you want a very sedate experience. I don't even eat animals and I love it (the trout and Gulf shrimp are both great).
The Rickshaw--Pan-Asian, which sounds like a disaster, but it's all excellent. Very small, always busy but there is a nice fire out front, and even on a cold night sitting there with a glass of wine watching the groomers on Baldy is lovely.
Enoteca--Italian, good food and wine, always busy, res needed even on a Monday. I love the trout. The homemade focaccia is fantastic. We usually get in to the bar where even if you just order a glass they may offer to pour you three tastes.
Town Square Tavern--same owners as Enoteca. Good, not my absolute favorite, but if the menu looks good to you go for it.
The Dutchin Room--the bar at the SV lodge--has good food and cocktails. (The restaurant in the lodge--Gretchen's--is good, but pricey, and the atmosphere is a bit stuffy.) I know my husband likes the Manhattans at the Dutchin but not sure they are "perfect." The drinks at the River Run Lodge bar are better than I would expect.
Go to the Roundhouse for lunch on Baldy. This should be a must-do. They have dinner some nights too. Sometimes groups rent out the space so check to make sure they are open to the public the day you plan to go.
It's unlikely you'd be off the hill/in town for lunch, but if you were, Christina's is fantastic. I stop there after skiing for cookies (they have a bakery case).
If you are staying at the SV lodge or inn, or just have time to get there for breakfast or lunch, Konditeri is so delicious.
The Covey and Cookbook are the hot newer places but I haven't been to either. There is no room left in our rotation.

There are a lot of spots I think are just okay but I can't think of anything I'd really tell you to steer clear of. Oh, except for Rico's.

Sponsor

Staff online