• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Summit County rescuers responded to three avalanches this weekend

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
So this happened Saturday on the other side of the mountain I skied on Monday. I was aware of an avalanche in the neighborhood. It just goes to show you that only a few hundred meters and a different aspect can make all the difference in the world. Our side of the mountain was windblown, thin snow and a much more sedate pitch. Skiing on the other side on high angle wind deposited slopes was not even a thought.

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/192...y-rescuers-responded-to-three-avalanches-this

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I meant I was aware. There had been a report of an avalanche on Sunday requiring FFL helicopter so I knew an avalanche had occured. The report didn't say where exactly, so you can bet I had my eyes wide open on my tour yesterday. While there was a bunch of depth hoar, the pitch and general conditions quite easily identified as safe where I was.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I meant I was aware. There had been a report of an avalanche on Sunday requiring FFL helicopter so I knew an avalanche had occured. The report didn't say where exactly, so you can bet I had my eyes wide open on my tour yesterday. While there was a bunch of depth hoar, the pitch and general conditions quite easily identified as safe where I was.

Thanks - just wasn't sure in context if it was a typo. Your comments help, because when I rented a room on N Fuller Placer, the owner regularly skinned up Baldy. When I saw this article I freaked out thinking that's what he was doing - solo, and he had no beacon, shove, etc. (I guess, since solo, that stuff would be irrelevant anyway.) He said it was safe. But it sounds like there *are* safe routes and he wasn't just lying to himself. I didn't realize the back side looked like that.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It all depends on where you go on Boreas and Baldy. The Cable Line (starts at the Iowa Mill off the Boreas Pass Road) is all pretty mellow pitch and there is greater danger from deadfall, pits, stumps and rocks. Further South on Baldy there are significant chutes and slide zones. A popular one, Orion, comes from the summit down and is an area that deserves careful deliberation before accessing it. I ski the West side but usually only in spring.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not going to pretend that avalanche danger doesn't scare the crap out of me.
Stay safe out there.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I will. It also scares the bejesus out of me. I am always careful and not afraid to voice my concerns. Marty is also quite conservative so we make a good team for decision making.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I will. It also scares the bejesus out of me. I am always careful and not afraid to voice my concerns. Marty is also quite conservative so we make a good team for decision making.

Could I join you some day? On a day when you guys have maybe broken knee caps or something so that I don't hold you up too badly. I'll be in Breck most of Jan and Feb.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks - just wasn't sure in context if it was a typo. Your comments help, because when I rented a room on N Fuller Placer, the owner regularly skinned up Baldy. When I saw this article I freaked out thinking that's what he was doing - solo, and he had no beacon, shove, etc. (I guess, since solo, that stuff would be irrelevant anyway.) He said it was safe. But it sounds like there *are* safe routes and he wasn't just lying to himself. I didn't realize the back side looked like that.

You can see the backside from the North part of the county. There are two or three significant chutes that come from the summit and a couple of bowl like areas North of them. It appears this guy was in one of those bowls.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Could I join you some day? On a day when you guys have maybe broken knee caps or something so that I don't hold you up too badly. I'll be in Breck most of Jan and Feb.

We aren't that fast at hiking. :) Really. Although my switch back to telemark for touring makes it easier for me (lighter boots and bindings). Let's keep in touch on this. I got a new beacon and I'd like to get some time training with it. We'll have a beacon party some day. The green in front of my house is perfect because it is usually trodden and placing a beacon discreetly will be easy.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
We aren't that fast at hiking. :) Really. Although my switch back to telemark for touring makes it easier for me (lighter boots and bindings). Let's keep in touch on this. I got a new beacon and I'd like to get some time training with it. We'll have a beacon party some day. The green in front of my house is perfect because it is usually trodden and placing a beacon discreetly will be easy.

I am always up for more beacon practice! I think Breck has a beacon park, too.

I do distinctly remember you guys hiking up peak 6 and me being quite a bit behind. (I found out later that I was skiing through pneumonia, but I'm always slow.) But as long as we're not trying to beat everyone to first tracks, it should be fine.

Sponsor

Staff online