• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Summer Olympics

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really wasn't thinking I'd be watching much of the Summer Olympics this year, even though its something I've always enjoyed. Maybe its because of the mess the Sochi was and the promise of this one being a similar mess. Maybe its because I'm more aware of the IOC corruption, but today.....I found myself watching.
My favorite today was watching the Women's Volleyball. @DeAnn Sloan were you watching?

I didn't watch the shooting but thought Ginny Thrasher was awesome in her interview after she won Gold for USA.

What are you watching?

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw parts of a pretty amazing women's bike race this morning where the leader crashed coming down a hill with about 10K left, giving an American the lead. She held it all the way to about 250M left when a group of 3 passed her leaving her in 4th and medal-less.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Tennis and soccer, as always. Saw volleyball, gymnastics, table tennis, and swimming, too. A few minutes of basketball but those weren't really games. Actually, I saw France-Australia, more of a game, I guess.

scott43

Skier
I hate the IOC and the whole concept of the Olympics these days. Having said that I do find myself watching some stuff as time filler. Women's rugby was fun. Tough. Props. I'm not actually making time for any event though.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Everything!! It appears that there are really very few spectators & fans in the stands.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I hate the IOC and the whole concept of the Olympics these days. Having said that I do find myself watching some stuff as time filler. Women's rugby was fun. Tough. Props. I'm not actually making time for any event though.

No love here for the IOC, but (most of) the athletes could use some.

Muleski

Inactive
My wife and I have always been Olympic junkies. Already watching more than we had planned.

We were at a family gathering this weekend, and among those there were four former summer Olympians. Sailors, and rowers. Another cousin has a close friend who's child just missed qualifying for the triathlon, and the parents are glad given all of the discussion about the water pollution, and bacteria. Sad hen the dream fell short, and you're pleased.

I've been to Rio, and it's not all pretty, by a long shot.

Most of us are from the Boston area, and were pretty aware {had friends involved} with the various bids to try to bring the summer games here.....which in my opinion would have been a disaster. And expensive disaster. We all agreed on that, and chuckled at what a horror show it would be to try to build and get ready......like Metro Boston doesn't already have enough traffic and public transportation issues.

We ended up in a long conversation over drinks about the possibility of the IOC deciding on a permanent venue for the summer games, and whether in makes long term sense. Like....Greece? It might help their economy, and there are likely all sorts of ways to go about raising money, etc. It might be a necessary solution, as the cost of doing this the right way just balloons every four years. And the host cities are left with a lot of infrastructure that doesn't all seem to be repurposed.

The last two winter Olympics had some VERY close calls with the on snow sports: Vancouver and Sochi. Temps for the most part. We'll see about Pyeongchang, and of course the Chinese are already going at it with a TON of money and energy to identify and grow ski racers at their academy in Austria. I doubt if they'r have contenders by 2022. The venues, and challenges to build them will be interesting. Then again it is China.

So, sports fans, if there was a potential permanent venue for the winter games, any thoughts on where? Any other thoughts on another summer venue?

Bonus question. What if the Olympic DH had to be shelved because of venue challenges? Does that make the prospect of a permanent location which COULD host the DH more attractive?

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
My brother Bill trained Track & Field athletes in 8 Olympics. Some won medals in past 3 summer games.
Justin Gatlin was one (before he went bad) that I think is back this year.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I pretty much watch it all!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My wife and I have always been Olympic junkies. Already watching more than we had planned.

We were at a family gathering this weekend, and among those there were four former summer Olympians. Sailors, and rowers. Another cousin has a close friend who's child just missed qualifying for the triathlon, and the parents are glad given all of the discussion about the water pollution, and bacteria. Sad hen the dream fell short, and you're pleased.

I've been to Rio, and it's not all pretty, by a long shot.

Most of us are from the Boston area, and were pretty aware {had friends involved} with the various bids to try to bring the summer games here.....which in my opinion would have been a disaster. And expensive disaster. We all agreed on that, and chuckled at what a horror show it would be to try to build and get ready......like Metro Boston doesn't already have enough traffic and public transportation issues.

We ended up in a long conversation over drinks about the possibility of the IOC deciding on a permanent venue for the summer games, and whether in makes long term sense. Like....Greece? It might help their economy, and there are likely all sorts of ways to go about raising money, etc. It might be a necessary solution, as the cost of doing this the right way just balloons every four years. And the host cities are left with a lot of infrastructure that doesn't all seem to be repurposed.

The last two winter Olympics had some VERY close calls with the on snow sports: Vancouver and Sochi. Temps for the most part. We'll see about Pyeongchang, and of course the Chinese are already going at it with a TON of money and energy to identify and grow ski racers at their academy in Austria. I doubt if they'r have contenders by 2022. The venues, and challenges to build them will be interesting. Then again it is China.

So, sports fans, if there was a potential permanent venue for the winter games, any thoughts on where? Any other thoughts on another summer venue?

Bonus question. What if the Olympic DH had to be shelved because of venue challenges? Does that make the prospect of a permanent location which COULD host the DH more attractive?
I think a permanent venu for winter olympics could easily be Utah. Unless someone knows something on the inside about how things went, it appears that they did a good job in spreading the people around to areas like Snowbasin, Park City, etc, and they have utilized the facilities quite well after the games left.

How much would it take for a place like Vancouver or Park City to get things ship shape for another Olympics?

Summer, - How about going back to London? Greece is a good idea but they've let all of the facilities fall apart so it would need a complete rebuild. Looking at Bejing's 2008 facilities it is pretty run down and would need a rebuild to do it again.

Here are a few articles from the past few years talking about this.
Nobody wants to host the olympics

And this with past facilities.
Haunting images of abandoned Olympic facilities

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
As much as I hate the politics and corruption leading up to it I always manage to quickly forget and enjoy most of the competitions. Very glad Russia wasn't totally banned. 80 and 84 were disasters and it's really more about knowing how to juice without getting caught in most top level sports so I'm OK with whoever tests clean a week before and immediately after the event being included. Different topic for a different forum beyond that.

Was sad for Gabby last night not making the all around competition, but happy for the others. Gabby's been there and done that already so cool of her to pass the torch with class.

Pulling for US Women in and Mexico Men in soccer. Aren't the ages for womens and mens different so all the best women get to play but only the younger men are playing?

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think a permanent venu for winter olympics could easily be Utah. Unless someone knows something on the inside about how things went, it appears that they did a good job in spreading the people around to areas like Snowbasin, Park City, etc, and they have utilized the facilities quite well after the games left.

How much would it take for a place like Vancouver or Park City to get things ship shape for another Olympics?

Summer, - How about going back to London? Greece is a good idea but they've let all of the facilities fall apart so it would need a complete rebuild. Looking at Bejing's 2008 facilities it is pretty run down and would need a rebuild to do it again.

Here are a few articles from the past few years talking about this.
Nobody wants to host the olympics

And this with past facilities.
Haunting images of abandoned Olympic facilities

It's an interesting concept. I suspect most people I know including me would leave Park City and it would become an Olympic company town, like VR on steroids. Utah is very pro business/jobs, business interests here control what happens probably as much or more than the church these days. So it might be politically feasible.

But I don't see how it could happen. Permanent sites would have less motivation to keep the system of graft, kickbacks and super lux for IOC members running. I'm also having a hard time picturing the Austrians and other Euros accepting packing their things and coming to the states for every WO. These are the people that change the rules when Americans win.

Muleski

Inactive
Greece would be a complete restart, for sure. And, the country itself has challenges. Big ones. But, the IOC, and "the world" might be somewhat inspired. It's mostly blue sky thinking, with the history thrown in.

For the winter games, a North American location makes sense, but I agree that the Euro-centric, Lausanne Switzerland based, IOC would hate the thought. I have come to think that they view the winter games as their party. Almost that simple.

So, I think a permanent winter venue would stand no chance unless it was in Europe. Even then it would be tough.

Where?

Current events? Fun to watch last night's prime time stuff.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So, I think a permanent winter venue would stand no chance unless it was in Europe. Even then it would be tough.

Where?

Current events? Fun to watch last night's prime time stuff.

Dubai?? :duck:

James

Out There
Instructor
For all the negativity about Rio things seem to be going well.
Opening ceremony was really well done. Very creative with low and high tech. It's up there with the best. Worst is athletes with phones and selfie sticks filming themselves while walking in. They make them wear proper uniforms, how hard is it to ban phones? Kudos to North Korea for having no athletes with phones.

It is depressing to see so few spectators in the stands esp for soccer where Brazil is not playing.
The night of the 4x100 freestyle men's relay though was crazy with a packed crowd. Michael Phelps said he's never seen so much crowd energy at a meet and he's been to a few big ones.
Katie Ledeckey was crazy good. Destroying the world record in 400m freestyle.

Beach volleyball seems to be a late night affair party with samba dancers and more people in the stands at 11pm then 9pm.

Anyone notice the odd tennis stadiums? The smaller ones have the crowd like 10 ft above the court. Maybe it's because they expected the Brazilian crowd to not follow protocol and walk around during points.
Like this one:
image.jpg

US women rowing 8 has won everything for the last 10 years. With different crews. They won first heat by 8 seconds.

I like the archery. South Korea women's team have won the last 8 olympics. Amazing dynasty. 70 meters is the target distance. If the Koreans shoot an 8 it's bad.

Then there's Oksana Chusovitina who won team gold in gymnastics. In 1992. She's now 41 and still competing. She competed with commentator and 2008 Olympic champion Nastia Liukin's dad.Yesterday she qualified for the finals in vault.

Sponsor

Staff online