• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suggestions for beginners in my family

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of my family including my parents have decided they want to learn to ski. I am very excited about it and I immediately told them they would need lessons. I'm a big believer in learning to ski from a teacher. I'm a skier. Not a ski instructor. I don't want to teach them to ski because I don't feel I have the skill set as an instructor in my opinion. Just because I can ski, doesn't mean I can teach it.
The issue is that the resort we are going to offers nothing in the realm of beginner programs similar to what I attended or what I've recommended for other friends when we have been out west. The resort we are going to offers a 90 minute beginner lesson. When I called and asked if the next few days if they came back would they be moved forward as they got better, he said, "No. The lesson is the same every day and usually everyone just takes the one lesson then rents equipment and goes out on their own unless they are bad and take the lesson twice". I was not expecting that. I was kind of shocked actually. My last friend that learned in Breckenridge went to 3 days of all day classes. I looked into private lessons at the resort we are going to but they are astronomical in my opinion and I've paid for private lesson at Vail resorts before.
At this point I'm at a loss for what to do. I would like them to have a good experience and want to continue to learn. I want them to build a foundation for good skiing, not quit because they get sent sliding down the mountain out of control. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
As an instructor, that doesn't make sense. I had a group of young ladies that were never ever's. We progressed them over 3 days. The last day they didn't have me, but for 2 days they did. And that was only for a 1hr 45min lesson each day. I guess each snow school does things differently.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I am not an instructor, but the ski school typically should offer beginner level group lessons (the never-ever lesson is usually a different deal, is typically heavily discounted and includes some rentals if the resort is smart about it). At least as Squaw is concerned, the cost of lessons has recently gone up significantly, although now they do half-day lessons instead of 1.5 hours or whatever it was before. Sometimes if you find a good size group, you can split a private lesson fee, and that becomes cost-competitive to a regular group lesson (and you won't be stuck with people of different level or unpleasant personalities).

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The resort we are going to offers a 90 minute beginner lesson.

Which resort? Are there others of a similar distance or even slightly farther that might have a better lesson program?

I remember my beginner lesson at - Roundtop or Liberty, don't remember which. More than 20 years ago, so who knows what they're like now, but it was pretty bad. Maybe 15 people in the group, and an hour or maybe two, max. I had apparently discovered stem (or wedge?) christies in the morning by myself, and the instructor wouldn't work with me on them, instead insisting I wedge, which did not work well with my rebellious teenage soul. It turned me off of lessons for a long time.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I might have assumed Roundtop based on his location - but I know they don't do lessons that way. Of course there is progress - they might have a ski-off to determine how much but anyone who self-evaluates as not quite beginner is given the chance.

TS
Stephen

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not an instructor, but the ski school typically should offer beginner level group lessons (the never-ever lesson is usually a different deal, is typically heavily discounted and includes some rentals if the resort is smart about it). At least as Squaw is concerned, the cost of lessons has recently gone up significantly, although now they do half-day lessons instead of 1.5 hours or whatever it was before. Sometimes if you find a good size group, you can split a private lesson fee, and that becomes cost-competitive to a regular group lesson (and you won't be stuck with people of different level or unpleasant personalities).

I thought of that and looked into putting them all in a private lesson but the resort wants an additional fee (up to $80) per additional person per hour in the private lesson. So it ends up much more expensive.

Which resort? Are there others of a similar distance or even slightly farther that might have a better lesson program?

I remember my beginner lesson at - Roundtop or Liberty, don't remember which. More than 20 years ago, so who knows what they're like now, but it was pretty bad. Maybe 15 people in the group, and an hour or maybe two, max. I had apparently discovered stem (or wedge?) christies in the morning by myself, and the instructor wouldn't work with me on them, instead insisting I wedge, which did not work well with my rebellious teenage soul. It turned me off of lessons for a long time.

I didn't want to disclose the resort name until I get there and find out if this is really the case(unfortunately it seems like it is). In the event it's not the case I didn't want to have run them down for no reason.
It isn't Roundtop though :) I live close to there and the lessons I've had there have been very helpful.
We have already committed to traveling to the specific resort for various reasons none of which was the ski shool. I guess I should've done better research in that department before heading there.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

A ton of people who discover wedge christies by themselves do so with upper body rotation or other not good things not saying you did that, but Usually if people are having trouble seperating at their hip/femur socket teaching them an extremely small wedge can cure that.

to OP. There has to be a resort nearby that offers group lessons at any level and or more reasonable private lessons.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A ton of people who discover wedge christies by themselves do so with upper body rotation or other not good things not saying you did that, but Usually if people are having trouble seperating at their hip/femur socket teaching them an extremely small wedge can cure that.

I'm sure you're right. Like I said, I was a teenager, so the problem was more that with four million people in the lesson and only a short amount of time, the instructor had no patience, time, or inclination to steer a teenager in the right direction. It was basically "You have to do what the class is doing; stop screwing around." Of course this is a 20+ year old memory, so who knows what *actually* happened. I might have just been a stubborn teenager, unwilling to listen, end of story.

TS
Stephen

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, so after reading what you guys had written, I decided I had to have gotten some bad information. I decided to call the resort back and ask my questions again. I got new information which I hope was the correct information. The guy informed me that their group learn to ski package is progressive and they can come in each day and move forward as they get better. Not sure what the first guy was thinking but I'm pretty sure they should take him of the phone bank. :doh:

Sponsor

Staff online