• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Subaru Forester Hitch Rack Options

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Calling all mtb-riding Forester owners for help!

I've got some older friends that love their Forester. It's got a (wimpy) 1.25" receiver hitch that they use to mount a two-bike hitch rack that has aged out.

After much interweb research, they decided to get a Rocky Mounts Monorail 2 hitch rack (which I own and love on my Explorer) but then learned that it was not recommended for that car because the exhaust pipes point directly at the plastic wheel chocks.

Anybody have any recommendations for a reasonably-priced alternative, keeping in mind that these are retirees that don't throw money around needlessly.

Thanks!

EDIT: The chosen rack must be sturdy enough for one 54 pound and one 44 pound e-bike.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have a 2" rack and a 1 1/4" on the Alltrack. I use one of these.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have a 2" rack and a 1 1/4" on the Alltrack. I use one of these.

That also looks like it might lift the rack above the Forester's exhaust pipes.

I've forwarded it to them. Thanks, Phil.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have one of these for the Outback and it's a good rack.

I should have mentioned that they both ride e-bikes, with weights of 54 and 44 pounds.

At ages 77 and 78, I will accept no thread derails into "moped territory"! ogsmile

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That also looks like it might lift the rack above the Forester's exhaust pipes.
Is this really an issue? The exhaust gases are not THAT hot and its not like the tires will be right against it and how far are they traveling with the bikes on the rack? I DO think you don't want to shortcut on a rack that is carrying 100LB of bikes though.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Ebike, oof..

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is this really an issue? The exhaust gases are not THAT hot and its not like the tires will be right against it and how far are they traveling with the bikes on the rack?

Yup it's a real thing, esp with that particular rack on that particular car.

Several years back, we had a friend meeting us in Butte MT for a ride on the CDT. She had to delay a day when the exhaust from her Fiat 500 ruined her carbon rear wheel.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have a Forester with a "Hidden Hitch mounted and a Yakima tray rack for our bikes. No exhaust issues.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
20231003_202108.jpg

2023 Forester Wilderness with the factory 2" hitch receiver and a Kuat NV 2.0 rack on it. My rough measurement is about a 7" drop from the bottom of the tray to the exhaust. There is a good 16" of horizontal space in there too.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I forgot to mention, the NV 2.0 comes in a 1-1/4" receiver version as well and is rated to 60#'s a tray. Should fit the bill for them. The foot pedal for lowering the rack is so much more useful that one would first think, I love it.

Sponsor

Staff online