• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stop Making Sense 2023 in 4K

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

David Byrne slipped back into the Big Suit in a fun promo released today for film studio A24’s upcoming rerelease of Jonathan Demme’s classic Talking Heads concert film “Stop Making Sense,” which has been newly remastered in 4K and will be screened in theaters worldwide.

The theatrical release date for this new version of the 1984 concert film — billed as “Stop Making Sense 2023” in the trailer — has not yet been announced.

On top of that, though, new digital and double-vinyl editions of the soundtrack will be released Aug. 18, expanded to include the previously unreleased tracks “Cities” and “Big Business/I Zimbra,” which were included in the original home video release of the film, but then removed and relegated instead as bonus tracks in the 1999 re-release and subsequent DVD and video releases.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I saw that in a theatre the first time around and it was good.

But what I really want to see is their 1980s Rome concert (focused on Remain in Light) in high quality. Don't think that exists - just blurry stuff on YouTube.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw that in a theatre the first time around and it was good.

But what I really want to see is their 1980s Rome concert (focused on Remain in Light) in high quality. Don't think that exists - just blurry stuff on YouTube.
I was lucky enough to see the concert that the movie was based on

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Saw that in a theatre at the time and have it on vinyl. Might go downstairs right now, put on Psycho Killer at an inappropriate volume, and wiggle around some.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia and I saw this last night and it was very good on the big screen. I have the DVD and have watched it dozens of times but never saw it when it had it's original theater run.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
Got to see the Talking Heads live twice, once in Austin Texas 1982, and at the Merriweather Post Pavilion for the Stop Making Sense tour in 1983. Saw the movie in a theater when it first came out. The IMAX remaster is stunning. The biggest thing for me was the audio. The sound system in the IMAX theater made it feel like you were in the audience during the movie. Definitely worth going to see if you are a Talking Heads fan.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Got to see the Talking Heads live twice, once in Austin Texas 1982, and at the Merriweather Post Pavilion for the Stop Making Sense tour in 1983.
You know the scene in Good Will Hunting where Robin Williams talks about missing game 6 of the 75 World Series to see a girl? That was me in 83, I missed the Heads to go on a date.

gwasson

Skier
You know the scene in Good Will Hunting where Robin Williams talks about missing game 6 of the 75 World Series to see a girl? That was me in 83, I missed the Heads to go on a date.
Haha, Stephen Colbert told David Byrne he missed out on the Stop Making Sense tour because he wouldn't skip out on a college class. Luckily for me the 82 show was just before my sophomore year started classes and the 83 show was in the summer, and I took my (then) girlfriend with me.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm still kicking myself for not going to see them when the Stop Making Sense tour played in Portland ME. I need to see the updated movie on the big screen.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia and I saw this last night and it was very good on the big screen. I have the DVD and have watched it dozens of times but never saw it when it had it's original theater run.
It was really good.
I'd do it again!
Now, though, I want to watch it again at home.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was lucky to see them in 1978 in a small theater/ Opera House in Poughkeepsie, NY on Halloween night!

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
They used to play Stop Making Sense on a 100' screen in front of West bay in Traverse City to kick off the annual film festival. Half the people seated on the lawn ended up dancing up in front of the screen. A shame the festival is no more.

I can't imagine having to stay in a seat in a theater will be anywhere near the same level of fun.

gwasson

Skier
They used to play Stop Making Sense on a 100' screen in front of West bay in Traverse City to kick off the annual film festival. Half the people seated on the lawn ended up dancing up in front of the screen. A shame the festival is no more.

I can't imagine having to stay in a seat in a theater will be anywhere near the same level of fun.
Who says everyone stays in their seats? Pretty hard not to dance during this film.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I forgot about the TC Film Festival. It was awesome.
I remember watching Jaws on the big blow up screen floating on Travers Bay. That was interesting.

Meanwhile this is a good interview from CBS Sunday Morning.

Sponsor

Staff online