• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Want To Buy Stockli Laser SL, or similar, 165

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
looking for stockli laser SL ,non-FIS version, in 165.........ski the mid-west and looking for a topshelf "beer league" type slalom ski to compliment an older Volkl Racetiger SL......

Kyle MacDonell

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Me Too *LOL*..
Got to demo these recently.. My first thought was... WOW soo smooth'

Kyle

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Not sure why you're eliminating fis skis other than they're harder to find.

I had suggested that to @wallyk earlier as well. But FIS skis do come with their own headaches, don't they? It's hard to know if it's exactly the same ski/construction in the core. Knowing which binding system to choose is another. And most importantly, the FIS ski likely has a harder to maintain, more porous base material?

James

Out There
Instructor
I had suggested that to @wallyk earlier as well. But FIS skis do come with their own headaches, don't they? It's hard to know if it's exactly the same ski/construction in the core. Knowing which binding system to choose is another. And most importantly, the FIS ski likely has a harder to maintain, more porous base material?
No to the base thing. All decent skis have sintered ptex. Sure fis will have the highest grade, but so do other skis.
It is highly unlikely you will ever have access to a "real" fis race ski that's been tested by ski testers. Such things are controlled more than controlled substances. I doubt there's an El Chapo in Europe sneaking them out.

The newer fischer, atomic colored bases in the center are annoying imo. Just give me black.
Fis slaloms already have plates on them, (except Stockli), so that saves money if buying used. Bindings are easy. Marker piston plates take Markers, Rossi - Rossi; Fisher and Head -Tyrolia; Atomic - Atomic and maybe Salomon? Not sure on that.

Not sure on your core thing. You mean they come in different flexes? True, but an off the rack 165 fis ski will generally be just a medium flex. Honestly, some non fis slaloms are harder to ski. They also tend to have bloated tips and excessive sidecut.

Btw, the easiest way to get a certain flex slalom ski would probably be to order from Augment, formerly Croc. It will be relative scale though.

So, all of these reasons are non reasons.

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
No to the base thing. All decent skis have sintered ptex. Sure fis will have the highest grade, but so do other skis.
It is highly unlikely you will ever have access to a "real" fis race ski that's been tested by ski testers. Such things are controlled more than controlled substances. I doubt there's an El Chapo in Europe sneaking them out.

The newer fischer, atomic colored bases in the center are annoying imo. Just give me black.
Fis slaloms already have plates on them, (except Stockli), so that saves money if buying used. Bindings are easy. Marker piston plates take Markers, Rossi - Rossi; Fisher and Head -Tyrolia; Atomic - Atomic and maybe Salomon? Not sure on that.

Not sure on your core thing. You mean they come in different flexes? True, but an off the rack 165 fis ski will generally be just a medium flex. Honestly, some non fis slaloms are harder to ski. They also tend to have bloated tips and excessive sidecut.

Btw, the easiest way to get a certain flex slalom ski would probably be to order from Augment, formerly Croc. It will be relative scale though.

So, all of these reasons are non reasons.

I meant that it's hard to know if the fis and non-fis versions are constructed of the same material? If not, and they have two different constructions (say a wood core in one and foam in the other), they would behave like a completely different ski?

TS
wallyk

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Not sure why you're eliminating fis skis other than they're harder to find.

Didn't write that I was eliminating but would prefer a non-FIS......actually the Stockli Laser SL is sold-out in the US in the 165 and am looking hard at the FIS version. If Stockli maintains a light partnership with Solomon why are the skis flat? Maximum choice?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I meant that it's hard to know if the fis and non-fis versions are constructed of the same material? If not, and they have two different constructions (say a wood core in one and foam in the other), they would behave like a completely different ski?

yes, the FIS ski is always going to behave better.ogsmile Lets call the non-FIS slaloms what they are....a short-turn race look a like....:popcorn:

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well part of the problem is that all the Pugski discussion about real race skis have made retail fis skis sound like at best factory seconds or at worst black market fakes that may disintegrate on the second gate of a Nastar course. So I am curious, would people like MH be trailing in last if forced to ski retail?

OK, some hyperbole in this post (this is the internet after all ogsmile). But don't underestimate how bad some past discussions have made retail fis skis sound to some of us who are way outside of the game but who would be interested in going in that direction at some point.

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Didn't write that I was eliminating but would prefer a non-FIS......actually the Stockli Laser SL is sold-out in the US in the 165 and am looking hard at the FIS version. If Stockli maintains a light partnership with Solomon why are the skis flat? Maximum choice?

Would you really want a Salomon binding on a Stockli?

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
I skied the Laser SL FIS in a 165 at Stowe last spring ... on a demo binding, obviously. It rocked. Not too stiff for a mere mortal, though you do need to stay on top of the ski so the tails don't buck you. Went with the SX non-FIS as it did more of what I wanted. But I still would love to have the SL FIS.

James

Out There
Instructor
The non fis skis afaik still have wood cores. I don't know what to say, they're both skis of somewhat similar specs.

I found the Atomic S9 (non fis, sl ski) to be a much heavier feeling of a ski. It was also harder to release a turn than the blizzard fis sl I have.

The usual fears:
  • the fis ski will rip your legs off
  • You can't ski it slowly
  • It's a vicious beast that hooks up when you blink
None are true. The last is really the tune. There's people here who ski them all over Taos. Even in the shorter 156/8 version.

Well part of the problem is that all the Pugski discussion about real race skis have made retail fis skis sound like at best factory seconds or at worst black market fakes that may disintegrate on the second gate of a Nastar course. So I am curious, would people like MH be trailing in last if forced to ski retail?

OK, some hyperbole in this post (this is the internet after all ogsmile). But don't underestimate how bad some past discussions have made retail fis skis sound to some of us who are way outside of the game but who would be interested in going in that direction at some point.
I didn't realize Nastar was actually ski racing. I thought it was a wax test.ogsmile

I think you're misinterpreting a few things. Like quality of construction vs type of construction. In terms of fis slalom skis, there's several people who have posted for years here and on epic about them. No one has said anything or implied that they won't last for recreational use. Racing is tough on skis, gates can slap down on them, they break. If you're racing and training all the time they might not last a full season. More often though they wear out from the edges disappearing from sharpening. By that point they've lost full torsional stifness likely.

There's tons of college racers on retail skis. Your points have to be pretty low to get non retail.

Would people like MH be trailing in last if forced to use a retail race ski?

Would Louis Hamilton be last with crappy tires on his F1 car?

Last is not part of their makeup.
Against whom? The same wcup skiers and courses?

No, he wouldn't be last but he wouldn't be first. HK would be happy. Probably still top 15-20. I have no idea. I wouldn't bet on anyone from the US team against him. It's not the quality of construction, it's the construction. The guy can put enormous forces into a ski. If the ski can't handle it, he has to tone it down.
Likely if allowed to practice, he could compensate and develop some strategy. But now you're making him practice being slow.
Could he still beat Mikaela on a woman's course? I'm going to say yes, but I really have no idea. ogsmile

TS
wallyk

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
OK....this is really good info and thanks @James for the detailed thoughts and comments, very informative stuff ...so does anyone here have a used Stockli Laser SL or SL FIS version or comparable FIS slalom ski with low use in a 165?

James

Out There
Instructor
OK....this is really good info and thanks @James for the detailed thoughts and comments, very informative stuff ...so does anyone here have a used Stockli Laser SL or SL FIS version or comparable FIS slalom ski with low use in a 165?
How much do you weigh?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I own the Stockli Laser SL in both the FIS and non-FIS variants. FIS version is significantly stiffer. The core profile underfoot is much thicker on the FIS version. My versions are from 2011 and 2012, so maybe things changed in the later years?

James

Out There
Instructor
The big advantage to the Stockli Fis sl is it has significantly more edge. More like a normal ski. Everyone else it seems has thinner. That's based on the bright blue Stockli.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier

Oh my gosh, they actually have a "flimsy" flex option. Those must be the ski counterparts to Lamar's javelin. I have to get one, I am so going to dominate the Master's circuit next year :D.

Edit: Joking aside, providing that level of customization seems really impressive. The price premium is reasonable but their shipping costs seem absurd. I have never tried to ship skis internationally before, so I don't know. Depending on budget I am very tempted to give this a go, maybe not the "Flimsy" option though.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online