• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TheBoomDoctor

Booting up
Skier
I teach at a small Christian University and part of my job this year is to chaperone the ski trip to Steamboat. Oh brother... Part of this is to fill about three hours of class time before the trip with useful info for the students. Once we get there they will have ski lessons on the mountain so I only need pre-ski lesson info. I don't want to miss anything.

What would be the important topics to discuss in class?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you clarify, do you want Steamboat specific information or information regarding skiing for the students? If it's the latter, are they first timers or have they skied before?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I teach at a small Christian University and part of my job this year is to chaperone the ski trip to Steamboat. Oh bother... Part of this is to fill about three hours of class time before the trip with useful info for the students. Once we get there they will have ski lessons on the mountain so I only need pre-ski lesson info. I don't want to miss anything.

Not exactly what u are looking for but Yampatike does an incredible job of providing tours and lectures on the area and our history. This includes bature waljs, hot spring tours of downtown snowshoe hikes and more. I would highly recommend u look into that. Just google yampatika.

I would also recommend the tread of pioneer museum downtown but that wont take 3 hours

TS
TheBoomDoctor

TheBoomDoctor

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the questions. What I'm looking for is information to share with the students that will first of all help them prepare this week to ski next week. When I talked to my aunt (I think Philpug knows her) she said to get hydrated. Any of those types of tips would be very helpful for my students.

TS
TheBoomDoctor

TheBoomDoctor

Booting up
Skier
Can you clarify, do you want Steamboat specific information or information regarding skiing for the students? If it's the latter, are they first timers or have they skied before?

Great question. I have a few really experienced students but most of them have mostly skied small slopes in Michigan, and a few have never skied before. I have skied a bit, but only in Michigan and I don't want to miss anything.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with your aunt's recommendation to start hydration now. Fortunately, Steamboat isn't as high as some of the areas you could chose in Colorado so that will help. I'm not sure if any of the students will be drinking alcohol but if they will or may warn them that they will feel the effects much faster at altitude.

I'd also suggest you review the Skier's Responsibility Code with them. http://www.coloradoski.com/page/know-the-code

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
If they've skied in MI already (my home ski region for 60+ years) whatever terrain they're comfortable on, they'll be fine at Steamboat. Runs will be longer, but not technically more difficult as a result. I'd ask the more experienced members of the group if they've been west, and if they have, maybe they could spend the first morning helping the less experienced members.

The altitude is the greatest challenge. Hydration is paramount, so drinking water instead of coffee or booze is important.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Group dynamics are different at a bigger hill too. You can get lost or separated. If they are going to have free ski time outside the lessons, they should have a designated place to regroup just in case.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the questions. What I'm looking for is information to share with the students that will first of all help them prepare this week to ski next week. When I talked to my aunt (I think Philpug knows her) she said to get hydrated. Any of those types of tips would be very helpful for my students.
I'd start with a talk about nutrition and elevation, which will include hydration.
Altitude can be tricky if you're not prepared for it.

Are any of your students from an area that is at altitude? I know some have had some experience in mountains but not sure about elevation

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great question. I have a few really experienced students but most of them have mostly skied small slopes in Michigan, and a few have never skied before. I have skied a bit, but only in Michigan and I don't want to miss anything.
You're bringing your snowboard, right?

Yes folks, my nephew is a snowboarder :D A snowboarder who was taught the skiers responsibility code. Also he was never a slope sitter.

You would probably like the hot springs.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
How about some basics. Extremities keeping warm what to wear hands, feet and head. Meeting place at two specific times if people get separated, i.e., Noon at ............... and 3:30 to 4 AT ...................... . No levi's and why, what is frostbite and how to recognize. If you go inside usee ...................... where others will gather. Beginners use ...........chairlift, int. adv................
What is ski patrol, how to recognize and who to go to for help. Lift tickets how to attach and not lose.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Buddy! Budddddyyyyy! Buddy program and as it's a topic elsewhere, a bit of awareness on other hazards such as speed control, obstacles, slow areas and of course .. the dreaded but unmarked tree well law suit inviting hazard.

having cell numbers handy of each and of course ski patrol loaded.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I teach at a small Christian University and part of my job this year is to chaperone the ski trip to Steamboat. Oh bother... Part of this is to fill about three hours of class time before the trip with useful info for the students. Once we get there they will have ski lessons on the mountain so I only need pre-ski lesson info. I don't want to miss anything.

I went to a small Christian University and our inter-term class went to Steamboat! We had 3 weeks of ski related study and working out, and then we spent a week in Steamboat. If I am remembering correctly I wrote a paper on the development of Vail, Colorado.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I learned to ski (well, sort of) as a phys ed course in college. Six weeks of bus, rentals, lessons and lifts for $75.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Buddy! Budddddyyyyy! Buddy program and as it's a topic elsewhere, a bit of awareness on other hazards such as speed control, obstacles, slow areas and of course .. the dreaded but unmarked tree well law suit inviting hazard.

having cell numbers handy of each and of course ski patrol loaded.
Not just a buddy program but ski in threes. One person to stay with the other person if lost or hurt and one to play Lassie and go get help.

Sponsor