• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat Jan. 2-9, 2022

Eagle93

Putting on skis
Skier
I booked our trip back in August which qualified us for a 30% off lodging and lift and qualified us for the "sVIP Perks" program (more on that later). Initially the trip was for me, my son, and my niece. In November, my daughter decided to join us, and we were able to add her, including the sVIP perks at a 25% discount at that point. So for folks reading this in the future, there may be little need to book super early from a discount perspective, although lodging availability dwindles the longer you wait. There was a small up-front deposit of ~$300 at time of booking with the balance due 45 days prior to arrival.

We selected a 2-bed/2-bath condo in the Scandinavian Lodge near the Thunderhead lift. I picked this location as a way to avoid the base area crowds, walking through the village, and the parking/shuttle struggle. A smaller consideration was also that with COVID still a concern, this kept us in wide-open air, less crowds, and open-air lifts. The condo listing said it was 100yds from the lift, but that was a typo and should have been 1,000 yds (or about 2 city blocks). Still not a terrible walk, but it is uphill a bit from the condo to the lift. I opted to drive the kids and gear up to the lift, drop them and our gear off, then drive the car back, and walk up solo. It was a much easier walk without gear, but doable either way. One of the days with considerable fresh snow, we skied back to the condo, being careful to stay to the very edge of the road. The Scandinavian Lodge has an outside pool and hot tub, which was nice. We enjoyed the hot tub a few times during our stay. We also saw a pair of moose near the pool upon returning after skiing one day and a solo moose on the road one morning.
IMG_8996.JPEG

My thoughts on the sVIP Perks program: this benefit of booking through Steamboat Central Reservations includes the following (per person) "free" benefits: one night skiing ticket, one Outlaw Mountain Coaster ticket, one day of Demo Skis, and one First Tracks ticket. We used all of these benefits, except for the First Tracks ticket, due to the trouble of getting down to the base to board the gondola combined with the upper-mountain lifts being delayed/closed the morning we had booked due to icing. While they are advertised as "free" perks, I'm sure it's bundled into the package somewhere. Even so, I'd consider it a $100-$200 value per person. Granted some items we probably wouldn't have bothered with otherwise, but we found them enjoyable and worthwhile.

Night Skiing - we used this on our arrival day as a "warm up" of sorts. All four of us had yet to get on snow this season, so having a couple of hours on the limited terrain was a nice fit to get our legs under us and make some turns. We started with two runs on the lower green from mid-station down, then went to the "top" for a couple of runs, and finished with a couple of faster runs on the black "See Me?", and made a trip through the terrain park and half-pipe on the last run for fun. It seems like they groom that portion of the mountain just prior to night skiing, so it was nice and soft, with fresh cordouroy, and wasn't very busy at all. I enjoyed it as a warm-up to start the trip. If we had booked later in the week, we probably would have skipped it.
IMG_8989.JPEG
IMG_8991.JPEG

Outlaw Mountain Coaster - not sure what this costs normally, but we enjoyed it for "free". We had initially planned to use it on Wed. (our planned off day) while in the village looking through the shops for souvenirs, etc. However, it was dumping that day and we spent more time downtown than in the village. So we ended up using the tickets our last night, on Friday evening. The coaster is open evening Fri-Sun vs. day-only hours Mon-Thurs. We walked right up, no line to speak of, and were seated. The staff does a short 1-2 minute operation and safety talk and then our ride started. It's about a 5-min ride total, with half or more of that time being pulled up hill. On the downhill section, you control your speed and can go as fast/slow as you want as long as you maintain a safe distance from anyone in front of you who may be going slower. I was the first one in our group, so with noone in front of me, I let her rip without braking the entire way down which was exilerating.

Demo Days - this was a much better perk that I expected. I was concerned it may have been just basic rental gear, but we had full choice of anything they sold. We booked our fitting appointment at the Steamboat Sports Sheraton. Only I and my daughter opted to take advantage, which was nice as it gave the two of us two days of demo gear. I opted for skis only and selected a pair of Head Kore 105s (my first time on powder skis) and my daughter got a nice pair of Rossi boots and (Elan?) skis that were 98mm underfoot. We both enjoyed the gear with 21" of fresh on Thursday when we hit the slopes again. The Kore 105's were great on Thurs. in the powder. On Fri. there were still nice in the trees with packed powder, but less fun on the groomed or hard pack sections than my Head iTitans would have been.

First Tracks - this perk gets you on the slopes 30-45 mins. early, but only via the Gondola up to the Sundown/Sunshine area. For anyone staying near the base that probably works well. You have to book a specific day in advance and we had selected Thursday to take advantage of our demo gear. Unfortunately due to the 21" of heavier/wetter than normal snow, all of the upper mountain lifts were closed/delayed that morning. That combined with the hassle of getting to the base area, we decided to skip it. We heard later that First Tracks that day was constrained to the lower mountain and possible Thunderhead... so we may have been able to get a few runs, but we weren't overly worried about it.

General comments about the trip:
Three weeks before our arrival, I was very concerned. At that point Steamboat only had a handful of runs open (literally 5 runs on the lower mountain IIRC), but thankfully they received a ton of snow Christmas Week through New Years. They averaged 5" of snow for 8 days in a row, which got 75% or so of their terrain open. While we were there they got another 25" inches or so to open up most of the rest of the mountain. Our last day, Friday, 1/7 they were starting to spin the Bar UE while we were coming down the Triangle Trees, leaving only the Pony Express area yet to open I believe.
IMG_9002.JPEG

Our first day (Monday 1/3) was spent mostly on groomers in the Sunshine area. The Sunshine lift was closed (motor failure) but we did laps up Sundown to South Flats and then back to Sundown. Not as efficient as if Sunshine lift had been running, but still worked pretty well. Lines at South Flats were minimal while lines at Sunshine were around 8-10 minutes most of the week. The rest of the week we spent increasing amounts of time in the trees, some in the Sunshine area, we hit Shadows/Closets a few times, and finished the week out in the Triangle Trees to Cyclone Trees to Bar-UE lift line which was tremendously fun. Especially up top, the Triangle Trees had some huge drifts/wind whales that made it a natural terrain park to play in. We found it interesting that while Shadows was skied off very quickly, Closets and the Sunshine Trees (flatter) had a lot of untracked powder even a day later.

Food/Coffee:
We ate most meals in our condo and out of our backpack on the hill, but did eat a couple meals in town based on recommendations from Ron's Unofficial Guide.
We had an incredible meal at Fiesta Jalisco one evening. Great chips and salsa to start and a wide variety of your favorite mexican dishes. Three of us had leftovers to take back to the condo. Very happy with the food, service, quality, and portions for $100+tip for four of us.
Another evening we went to the Back Door Grill for the "best burgers in town", which we also enjoyed. Tons of burger options and a nearly endless list of things to top your burger with. You can also sub Bison, Chicken, and a couple other options for the standard burger. Again, we were very satisfied and full when we left. Cost was about $80+tip for four of us.
IMG_9012.JPEG
Both Ron and our waitress at the Back Door Grill recommended Big Iron Coffee. We ended up getting Mochas/Lattes/Smooties twice during the week while were wandering through the shops downtime in the evenings. My son enjoyed it so much, he bought a bag of coffee to take home.
IMG_3399.JPEG
On our way out of town on Sat. morning, we stopped at "Burlap & Berry", which turned out to be in the alley behind Big Iron Coffee for breakfast sandwiches and coffee. The sandwiches on an english muffin or biscuit were wonderful and filling and the Mochas/Lattes were awesome as well. My only disappointment was they were out of large cups, so I had to settle for a medium (first-world problems). Apparently, with all of the snow over the last 10 days, their shipments were behind and they had run out of large cups.

I just realized I haven't downloaded photos to my computer yet, so I'll edit this in a bit to add some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_9074.JPEG
    IMG_9074.JPEG
    197.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
TS
Eagle93

Eagle93

Putting on skis
Skier
A few skiing pics to add to give people an idea of conditions at this time of year.

IMG_8992.JPEG
This was taken Tues., Jan. 4 somewhere in the Sunshine area I believe, near Tomahawk / Cub I think.

IMG_9013.JPEG
Wed. evening 1/5 during the height of the storm. Came back to the condo and found a tow truck trying to pull a shuttle bus out of the lot which hadn't been plowed. Talked to the shuttle driver and he said he had been stuck there for five hours... which meant he must have came in shortly after we left, because we had been downtown for about five hours. Waited in our car patiently for about 30 minutes for him to be winched out. I'd say there was 12"-15" of snow at this point.

IMG_9015.JPEG
The next morning (Thurs. 1/6) it took a while to clean off the car. Given the snow my door pushed back, there was easily 18" of fresh snow. Thanks to good tires and AWD I had no trouble getting out of the parking spot, the lot, or around town.

IMG_9018.JPEG
Poor angle/photo, but this was me digging out after a fall. Easily mid-thigh deep. Somewhere in the lower Sunshine trees near Lower High Noon I believe.
IMG_9020.JPEG
Another shot from the trees near Lower High Noon when my daughter had fallen and one ski popped under the snow. My son helping her dig it out and pack a platform down for to click back into her bindings.

IMG_3450.JPEG
Taken near Elkhead and Burgess Creek saddle, just above the gondola top station which can be seen in the background. This was on Thurs., 1/6, when 21" in 48 hours was reported. It was pretty wet snow this morning and the upper-mountain lifts had yet to open. We did laps on the Burgess Creek lift until Sundown Express opened around 11:30am.

IMG_9066.JPEG
Taking a seat to catch our breath. Lower portion of Shadowns or Closets I think, just before coming out on the Moonlight catwalk.

IMG_9082.JPEG
Friday, 1/7 was a beautiful sunny day and warm. Temps hit 43* or so. We got some sun and were a bit overheated most of the day.

IMG_9090.JPEG
Near Rendevouz Lodge

IMG_9097.JPEG
Friday afternoon, our last day, making our last laps on our favorite runs. We ended on Shadows, Closets, and the Triangle Trees.
IMG_9100.JPEG
IMG_9102.JPEG

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for sharing. I hope to ski Steamboat for a couple days in about a week. First visit there in about a decade.

TS
Eagle93

Eagle93

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for sharing. I hope to ski Steamboat for a couple days in about a week. First visit there in about a decade.

This was my first time back to Steamboat since Spring Break of '98. No idea why it's taken so long other than Steamboat does seem to be more expensive than many other places. Lodging in particular was more expensive, but part of that I'm sure is the list of things I was looking for (walking distance to lifts, outdoor hot tub, etc.).

A very interesting side note, while chatting with a stranger on a lift ride, he mentioned that he was in town for Music Fest, which he said is always Jan. 5-10. According to him, Music Fest tickets are $935/person and included: Lodging, lift, and Music Fest passes. Extra lift tickets can be added for $69/person/day. This person also said the group he attends with books early as is able to choose primo lodging. He said they were in a 5-bedroom penthouse unit, again, still only costing $935/person. I haven't verified, but if accurate that is an incredible deal, even if you don't partake in many/any of the concerts.

For comparison, our trip booked 4 months in advance cost around $1,100/person. Granted we came in Jan. 2 which is probably considered peak holiday yet.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This was my first time back to Steamboat since Spring Break of '98. No idea why it's taken so long other than Steamboat does seem to be more expensive than many other places. Lodging in particular was more expensive, but part of that I'm sure is the list of things I was looking for (walking distance to lifts, outdoor hot tub, etc.).

A very interesting side note, while chatting with a stranger on a lift ride, he mentioned that he was in town for Music Fest, which he said is always Jan. 5-10. According to him, Music Fest tickets are $935/person and included: Lodging, lift, and Music Fest passes. Extra lift tickets can be added for $69/person/day. This person also said the group he attends with books early as is able to choose primo lodging. He said they were in a 5-bedroom penthouse unit, again, still only costing $935/person. I haven't verified, but if accurate that is an incredible deal, even if you don't partake in many/any of the concerts.

For comparison, our trip booked 4 months in advance cost around $1,100/person. Granted we came in Jan. 2 which is probably considered peak holiday yet.
Hmm... to me that sounds like it might be $935 per person per day. :geek: :D

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Hmm... to me that sounds like it might be $935 per person per day. :geek: :D
"texas week" as we call it, has some good deals. most of them dont ski much and I can't vouch for the lodging. A good amount of owners won't rent to them so a 5 bedroom penthouse sounds a little sketchy but, ya' never know.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I checked out music week. Lots of guys in cowboy hats that I never heard of so heavy on country I'd guess. Looks like fun. Lodging was all over the place... I mean that literally.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was here for the end of the music week and could only say it was fairly crowded on the hill depending on run, however this was Saturday and Sunday. I will also say that the gondi sure can pump a crowd through.

Sunshine lift is likely running again, was for a bit in the am, then down. Heard was up later, so ill check it out tomorrow.

With it down, lines at the Sundown were longer but they did move relatively quick, but we didn't care to do regular loops on tomohawk side for this reason.

Still lots of nice runs, bumps, moguls, and trees have lots of fun stuff.

Norther1

Putting on skis
Skier
Enjoyed your report. Steamboat is one of my favorites to ski out west. Pre-covid, I used to go every year. Your photos brought back the good memories of what I'm missing.

Sponsor

Staff online