• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat Hotels - comments?

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi I was looking to hear what board members thought of these places in Steamboat

• Inn at Steamboat
  • Hampton Inn
  • Fairfield Inn

We're a family with kids and would care about shuttles, breakfast, room quality, location, and value. Most likely would visit during peak season school holiday times.

I've looked at them on the map and read some reviews, but its always hard to calibrate with reviewers. (I may not care if the air conditioning doesn't work during ski season for example....)

Thanks for any feedback on these places

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I'd give great reviews to the Hampton Inn. The hotel was nice, and the breakfast was really good for a hotel.

We had the pool and hot tubs pretty much to ourselves, but we were there midweek non-holiday in late January.

We saw the shuttle, but drove to the mountain instead. Looking back at it now, maybe the shuttle would have been better... I don't know why we didn't consider it because you need to shuttle anyways in the free parking lot.

I would definitely stay there again.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I would throw the Holiday Inn into the mix. They have a restaurant, nice rooms, decent location.

I've stayed at the Grand, but only off season. Even then, parking sucked.

I've also liked the Storm Meadow condos. Stayed there with 2 kids, nice atmosphere, fairly reliable shuttle to the base.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've stayed in Steamboat many times ... haven't direct experience on these venues, if you have others that come up, then I might have input. Can you add some additional context. Maybe not needed if you've narrowed down to these three, not trying to sway you to or fro, just wondering if these three or still looking at other hotels or even condos.

• People mix - ages? Figure you have this covered but some places may be better suited for younger kids verses say kids in their teens.
  • Food, are your plans all eating out or is in room/kitchen in options? Cooking something to be avoided?
    • Breakfast: yeah, first hand is best knowledge but may verify direct what they serve in winter. We've liked to do the Rabbit Ears for a day or two as it's across from the Steamboat Athletic Club (nice pools/hot tubs) but their breakfast is basic, cereal, toast/rolls .. not the often more common eggs/sausage, fruit, etc found elsewhere. Fine by us but ... maybe not for others.
  • Shuttle .. great if hotel, may wish to double check if it's theirs or on route. with my kids, and depending on age, hotel shuttle can run you right to the desired location very close with little/no long walk.
  • You flying in ... have you a vehicle or is shuttle required to get around the whole trip?

TS
aubergine

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
I've stayed in Steamboat many times ... haven't direct experience on these venues, if you have others that come up, then I might have input. Can you add some additional context. Maybe not needed if you've narrowed down to these three, not trying to sway you to or fro, just wondering if these three or still looking at other hotels or even condos.

• People mix - ages? Figure you have this covered but some places may be better suited for younger kids verses say kids in their teens.
  • Food, are your plans all eating out or is in room/kitchen in options? Cooking something to be avoided?
    • Breakfast: yeah, first hand is best knowledge but may verify direct what they serve in winter. We've liked to do the Rabbit Ears for a day or two as it's across from the Steamboat Athletic Club (nice pools/hot tubs) but their breakfast is basic, cereal, toast/rolls .. not the often more common eggs/sausage, fruit, etc found elsewhere. Fine by us but ... maybe not for others.
  • Shuttle .. great if hotel, may wish to double check if it's theirs or on route. with my kids, and depending on age, hotel shuttle can run you right to the desired location very close with little/no long walk.
  • You flying in ... have you a vehicle or is shuttle required to get around the whole trip?

Thanks. I appreciate all the replies. We've used Hampton Inns a lot and the wife is a Gold HHonors member so that seems doable.

• We're probably not going to do the condo thing for this trip, since we're flying in to Denver, and will have a car.
  • Kids are 9 and generally can carry their own gear.
  • When we drive from our house and get a condo I can pack more kitchen gear / food.
  • Breakfast - I'd rather have hot - but can live with cold/continental. As long as there is something, its enough to get us going. I just don't want to get dragged down timewise each morning with that, and most hotel rooms aren't going to be conducive to anything beyond cold bagels/cream cheese, if one is picking up stuff at the store for a morning bite.
  • Good point on whether its a town/scheduled shuttle, or the properties own van/driver.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I would call the hotel ask about breakfasts and what their schedule is for shuttling to the mountain. many do not go up early (by 8am) so unless you care about getting early laps or beating the crowd, this can be a problem. I would check out the Nordic Lodge or rabbit Ears hotel downtown. The Nordic lodge is Very nice but economical on main and 11th on the north side, they did breakfasts last year but you are across the street from Creekside which has amazing breakfasts :). Once you are there, there's no need to drive anywhere and the town shuttle stops right there. There are also a lot of VRBO. AirBNB rentals available downtown.

Its really nice to be located downtown since that's really where the restaurants and shops are. . There's actually not much on the mountain. the other hotels are on the "corridor" on 40 so you will have to take the shuttle or drive to get everywhere. Not sure what dates you are looking at, "peak season school times" is variable here, that could be holidays, presidents/ MLK weekends or Spring break. Peak season dates pose other issues like parking, over-crowded shuttles and reservations so that's another reason to stay downtown. Make reservations for restaurants as early as possible but also know not all restaurants here take reservations.

https://www.hotels.com/ho221233/?pa...0&SYE=3&q-room-0-children=0&q-room-0-adults=2

Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss further.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We've had great luck at the Nordic and B&Bs in town also.

VRBO is likely cheaper and almost all those places especially if you can bring food. They all have shuttles that go into town and to the slopes. We've had great luck with slope-side at Storm Meadows properties. They have 1 bedrooms that are reasonable. Also Trappeur's Crossing properties are nice with very convenient shuttles, bit more $. We've used both Retreatia and SimplySteamboat to book, which means you know what you'll get.

We've also stayed at the only true ski in and out hotel -- the Ptarmigan Inn. It was relatively cheap and kind of funky in a charming way. I understand it's been remodeled but kept ownership and they say the vibe and affordability. You'd have to check to be sure.

I've stayed at Rabbit Ears. Not planning to go back. Very expensive for what you get IMO.

All that said, I've stayed at the Hilton and the Hampton Inn also. They are just like all the other ones you've been in, but if you have sufficient points.... that changes the game. Also, even though they are not on the mountain, you'll still want to drive into town from there most likely.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Time going is great to know.

Two schools of thought on town or mountain side lodging.

For my family we stay mountain side ... slope side .., as we like to dress and go or stop and be "home", then hang, relax, play games or movies. We hit town once or maybe twice but eat in a lot. But my kids like to ski and once burned out,like to be in unit with snack then pool and hot tub.

However if you tend to go out more, towns a great choice as there is much more to see with shops and restaurants.

Depends a bit and how your kids ramp up or wind down and if you hangout or wish to head home.

Ron's right regarding transportation. There's public and many tied to either the hotel or management company associated with the rental. Just check into what's available for the time going. Since you have a vehicle you're a bit more open to drive to or fro town but note that mountain parking canbe tight or by the hour. Shuttling can save time or cost.

Regardless, with 9 yr olds I'd suggest hitting town a must (F. M Light is great store) as well as the athletic club for their hot springs. The spring feed pool and hot tubs are great.

W/9 yr olds don't forget steamboat kid lifts are free w a 5 day or more adult pass, this might avail you to justiify a longer trip in case you weren't aware!

If you kids love to swim, and you seek a pool, the Phoenix condos are essentially walking distance and they had (Should double check if still true) salt water pool and hot tub. Went once and kids loved it, swam every day just for the comfort.

Last edited:
TS
aubergine

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I spoke with the Hampton Inn's front desk to understand how their shuttle bus works. (On call, but limited hours)

The SO is an Hhonors loyalist so we ended up booking the Hampton. The price seems fair enough for high season, and we know what we'll be getting under the brand standards there.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
If you can ski powder well i can pick you up early if its a pow day ogsmile

Btw. The hampton is on the town shuttle. Right in front.

TS
aubergine

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
Just to close the loop on this - our stay at the Hampton Inn in Steamboat was excellent.

• Hotel Shuttle bus was pretty much running constantly during all peak times, never had to wait too long at either end to catch one. The hotel one is preferable vs. the town one for getting a seat and being uncrowded.
  • The lobby is gorgeous, much fancier than a typical Hampton Inn. We played Scrabble & Clue down there a few nights, so its a convivial place for families/kids.
  • Pool/Hot Tubs (3!) are outside and quite nice. Even though its much more energy consumptive, I like outdoor hot tubs after a ski day with a cold beer and looking up at the stars/clouds.
  • Housekeeping at the hotel is a little overwhelmed, and keeps fixed hours. Our room had a late Diamond checkout by the prior guest, and housekeeping had already done that wing, so getting into the room took too long. Our only minor quibble. Front desk graciously let the kids gorge on minibar types of snacks as compense, even if that's not what I wanted them to be doing....
  • Parking is generally well plowed there, and with a port a cochere out front, unloading/loading works well and the property has 3 luggage carts and an elevator, if needed. Curiously, there seem to be suites on the top floor that are only bookable via Hilton Grand Vacation Clubs (timeshares). That's what one guest in the hot tub told me, whether true or not.
  • Lots of fresh soft snow during out stay and the kids liked it. Steamboat base felt chaotic/confused to me. That may not be fixable ever.
Thanks everyone for comments, suggestions and advice!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January