• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stöckli Laser AX ski tune is vital!!

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
To each his own. There are always anecdotes....but that is all they are. That doesn't mean every new ski is problematic. You certainly could have checked the bases with a true bar yourself...it's not rocket science!

My guess is you simply had a hanging burr. I have not had a shop tune my skis for 2 decades. I let them grind them flat...but that is it. In fact what prompted me to learn to tune besides my kids racing at a high level, was shitty shop tunes...mostly it turns out the shop morons never knock the hanging burr off of the ski. As I said, the skis only need to be flat 10MM in from each edge o ski fine, but if you have a hanging burr...your screwed. It pretty makes the skis, unskiable. Railed means they are concave from edge to edge. Generally that is not the case. Most times they may be base low in the center of the ski in the tip and tail. But that really has no effect. A hanging burr will make your life miserable. The ski won't roll on edge smoothly and once on edge they won't want to roll back off. And the harder the snow or icy or weirder the conditions or man-made....the worse it is!
AMan educated me regarding the hanging burr and corrective action many years ago on another forum. The hanging burr will absolutely destroy any faith and confidence you have regarding your ability to ski.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess if I was a Stockli ski tester and had access to the entire laser series of skis, I might want my AX's tuned for more off piste use too. For me, the AX is my hard snow daily driver that's works every where. The 0.5/3.0 tune I had SkiMD put on my skis works for me.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
A little drift , but I skied my fairly new Stockli AR today on very good firm groomers for the first time back east and totally dislike the factory tune. The term I would use is sluggish edge to edge. I felt the same with the SR 95 I have, but out west off piste it wasn't as critical. The Stockli Testers are most likely much better than me and can achieve much higher angles than I can. Has any one changed the tune to a 1/3 or .5/3 on the AR. I have the Laser GS ski for beer can racing and love that factory tune. All my other ski's I have changed to .5/3 and am very happy with them.

Sponsor

Staff online