• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

spring skiing techniques?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is always theory, then reality strikes. Harsh reality.

Crew ski selection - Mammoth Mountain. High noon, May 19, 2021.

1648263216238.jpeg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Atomic FIS Redster SL...165!

Maybe...just maybe...next season I may or may not give in and pull the trigger on one of those, we'll see.
As I said, I am amazed how well such ski can cope with the soft slushy stuff.
When the technique is properly adjusted of course. Totally different approach than the 90+ ski I would normally use in such snow.

My only gripe is that they move slow, but as moving slow has been my main target and goal this season, not a problem really.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe...just maybe...next season I may or may not give in and pull the trigger on one of those, we'll see.
As I said, I am amazed how well such ski can cope with the soft slushy stuff.
When the technique is properly adjusted of course. Totally different approach than the 90+ ski I would normally use in such snow.

My only gripe is that they move slow, but as moving slow has been my main target and goal this season, not a problem really.

Most skiers preferred a wider ski for spring slush for the same reason many like super wide powder skis. The wide ski reduces the 3D snow condition to 2D. Allowing most skiers to execute the same turn they normally use in hard pack groomers (2D).

Regarding SL moving slowly in spring slush. Give it time. You are at the beginning of the journey. It's not the SL that is slow. Rather it's the skier that is slow. Many here on the forum have skied with me and my crew in PT and Mammoth late spring. I don't think they would termed our skiing as slow. Embracing 3D shaped turns would be very beneficial.

You seem to have the proper approach at junction of your journey. "Think slow, ski slower." When that becomes second nature, time to kick it up. "Ski fast, feel slow."

Don't feed the beast within. Find the peace within.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Back in the day slalom skis or gs skis were what we had. They were skinny. Somehow they worked in powder and in spring slush. Not so great for pond skimming I suppose.

My technique tip is specific to soft spring bumps and is super fun when you hit it right. When the consistency reaches the point where a solid appearing mogul os a mere shell of its former self, and probably depending on whether you are a clydesdale or a light weight. You can pounce right on the tops and they just sort of mush out underneath you feet. Bumps with built in absorption. A straighter line is called for and it is not the zipper. Think of youskis as potato mashers and work your way through the field.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not the SL that is slow. Rather it's the skier that is slow.

No doubt about that. But it is still quite a bit slower than going mach looney on 19-27 m ski on hard pack.
Anyway, moving superfast is not the point for me at this point and in such conditions. I like quite a bit the delicate approach and the dancing around stuff. No skidding, no smearing, only turn shape controls the speed, like it a lot. Also it is good that the runs got longer again. :ogbiggrin:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No doubt about that. But it is still quite a bit slower than going mach looney on 19-27 m ski on hard pack.
Anyway, moving superfast is not the point for me at this point and in such conditions. I like quite a bit the delicate approach and the dancing around stuff. No skidding, no smearing, only turn shape controls the speed, like it a lot. Also it is good that the runs got longer again. :ogbiggrin:

Our terrain perspective differs. This is our usual spring hang out. When we are bored with it, we go and find more interesting terrain. Mach schnell on our usual terrain usually end up in a comfy body bag.

About FIS SL being slow. Many here have had the pleasure skiing with my son while je is on a pair of FIS SL 157. Don't think any have considered him as being slow. Much is skill set dependent.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our terrain perspective differs. This is our usual spring hang out. When we are bored with it, we go and find more interesting terrain. Mach schnell on our usual terrain usually end up in a comfy body bag.

About FIS SL being slow. Many here have had the pleasure skiing with my son while je is on a pair of FIS SL 157. Don't think any have considered him as being slow. Much is skill set dependent.

Yes yes, it is different. I do not have moguls here, so would not know how the left hand part of the pic feels like, I do have the right hand part-the skied out, softened up rutted, mini moguled stuff. Short radius heavy ski move real nice through this.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I do have the right hand part-the skied out, softened up rutted, mini moguled stuff. Short radius heavy ski move real nice through this.

Try driving the ski in a round arc into the snow (Y axis). You will enjoy the subsequent rebound. Time it right and you'll go right over the crud piles without effort. Beat mach schnell down groomers any day. :ogbiggrin: :beercheer:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Most skiers preferred a wider ski for spring slush for the same reason many like super wide powder skis. The wide ski reduces the 3D snow condition to 2D. Allowing most skiers to execute the same turn they normally use in hard pack groomers (2D).

Regarding SL moving slowly in spring slush. Give it time. You are at the beginning of the journey. It's not the SL that is slow. Rather it's the skier that is slow. Many here on the forum have skied with me and my crew in PT and Mammoth late spring. I don't think they would termed our skiing as slow. Embracing 3D shaped turns would be very beneficial.

You seem to have the proper approach at junction of your journey. "Think slow, ski slower." When that becomes second nature, time to kick it up. "Ski fast, feel slow."

Don't feed the beast within. Find the peace within.

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. :cool:

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Take the 89's. For me I make sure I have a good spring wax and if I'm on anything getting flat as I head to the lifts I stand on my heels instead of arch/balls. I also try to keep my skis on an edge at all times because every time they stop without me is when they are too flat and creates suction.

Sponsor

Staff online